Product Code: 66839
Advanced IC Substrates Market is expected to register a healthy CAGR of over 18% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Players are continuously advancing over the packaging technologies in order to answer their stringent requirements with a smaller footprint, higher performances, and lower power consumption. The demand for consumer electronics and mobile communications devices is driving the electronics manufacturers to deliver ever-more compact and portable products.
- The advanced substrate industry is following the trends of miniaturization along with greater integration, and higher performance thereby making huge investments by several players across the ongoing ED and SLP packaging are showing increased interest in such technologies.
- The resulting in thermal benefits is allowing a higher power density and board integration thereby enabling further improvements in system reliability. Such technology brings huge value to the market due to extended adoption across automotive applications.
- It is also driving across the telecom and infrastructure segment where ED is a suitable substrate solution for increase hardware efficiency. Due to this players are investing huge amounts in new plants where ED will be the main product constituent.
Scope of the Report
IC substrates serve as the connection between the IC chip and the PCB through a conductive network of traces and holes. IC substrates support critical functions including circuit support and protection, heat dissipation, and signal and power distribution. Advanced substrates are the key interconnect component of advanced packaging architectures. These advanced substrates are traditionally linked to higher-end logic such as computer power users (CPU) / graphics processing units (GPU), digital signal processors (DSP), among others, driven by ICs in the latest technology nodes in the computing, networking, mobile, and high-end consumer market segments gaming, high definition (HD) / Smart TV. Moreover, due to additional form factor and low power demands, WLP (Wafer-level Packaging) and advanced FC (Flip-Chip) substrates are also widespread in the majority of smartphone functions.
Key Market Trends
The Advance Flip-Chip Packaging Type is Expected to Grow at a Significant Rate
- The flip-chip assembly process creates a much smaller chip compared to previous wire-bond solutions coupled with low power cost, and high-density packaging.
- High volume consumer electronics manufacturer continues to drive 2.5D/3D package technology while growing advancement in high-end telecom and communication sector which is going to witness an increase in the adoption of advance IC substrate.
- The growing technological advancement is new generations of memory products have also emerged with 30-micron pitch and two-thousand I/O and processors, thereby offering a flexible way to carry out the heterogeneous system-on-chip (SoC) design by integrating disparate technologies,
- The growing demand for these technologies is attracting many vendors to expand their production facilities, to gain market share, thereby replacing the traditional technology.
Asia-Pacific to Register the Fastest Growth During the Forecast Period
- The growth of the semiconductor packaging manufacturer in the region correlates with the end-user growth in the region, as the fastest-growing market for smartphones, thereby witnessing a rising investment in renewable, automotive (EVs specifically), among various others.
- Some of the prominent players across the region have made the investment over the advancement in the IC fabrication technology. For instance, in 2018, Taiwan-based Powertech Technology announced an investment of more than USD 1.68 billion, in the country, in an advanced factory, to ride on the next technology wave of high-performance computing, and connected cars. This is set to fuel innovation in the advance IC substrates in the aforementioned applications.
- Moreover, investments in the smartphone segment in the countries of the region are poised to drive the demand for advanced IC substrate in the operating countries. For instance, in 2018, Samsung inaugurated its new mobile phone manufacturing facility in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India, as the world's largest mobile devices manufacturing factory.
The advanced IC substrates market is moderately competitive and consists of a few major players. In terms of market share, some of the players currently dominate the market. However, with the advancement in the IC packaging technology, new players are increasing their market presence thereby expanding their business footprint across the emerging economies.
- June 2019 - TTM Technologies, Inc. announced that it has agreed to acquire certain manufacturing and intellectual property assets from i3 Electronics, Inc. in order to strengthen its advanced technology PCB capabilities and IP portfolio for emerging applications in the aerospace and defense end market and high-end commercial customers.
- June 2019 - Kyocera Corporation and Vicor Corp. will collaborate on next-generation Power-on-Package solutions to maximize performance and minimize time-to-market for emerging processor technologies. As a part of the collaboration between the two technology leaders, Kyocera will provide the integration of power and data delivery to the processor with organic packages, module substrates, and motherboard designs. Vicor will provide Power-on-Package current multipliers enabling high density, high current delivery to processors.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Rising Application of Advanced Substrate in Manufacturing of IoT Equipment
- 4.3.2 Growing Trend for Miniaturization in Semiconductor Devices
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Complexity in the Manufacturing Process
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.6 Technical Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Substrate Platform
- 5.1.1 Advance IC Substrates (FCCSP-FCBGA)
- 5.1.2 Substrate Like PCB (SLP)
- 5.1.3 Other Substrate Platform (Embedded Die (ED))
- 5.2 By Packaging Type
- 5.2.1 Advance Flip-Chip (FC)
- 5.2.2 Fan-in Wafer Level Packaging (Fi-WLP)
- 5.2.3 Fan-out Wafer Level Packaging (Fo-WLP)
- 5.3 By End-user Industry
- 5.3.1 Electronics (Mobile)
- 5.3.2 Automotive
- 5.3.3 Telecom (Equipment & Infrastructure)
- 5.3.4 Industrial
- 5.3.5 Other End-user Industry
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 ASE Kaohsiung (ASE Inc.)
- 6.1.2 TTM Technologies Inc.
- 6.1.3 KYOCERA Corporation
- 6.1.4 Siliconware Precision Industries Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.5 IBIDEN Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.6 AT&S Austria Technologie & Systemtechnik AG
- 6.1.7 Intel Corp.
- 6.1.8 NXP Semiconductors NV
- 6.1.9 Fujitsu Ltd.
- 6.1.10 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.11 STATS ChipPAC Pte. Ltd.
- 6.1.12 Shinko Electric Industries Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.13 Deca Technologies Inc.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS