Product Code: 66948
The household robots market is expected to register a CAGR of 20.50% over the forecast period (2020 - 2025).The household robots are also termed as domestic robots, which are the part of autonomous service robots for carrying out mundane works, such as floor cleaning, pool cleaning, and lawn mowing, but they can also be used for education, entertainment, and elderly assistance. According to the International Federation of Robotic Report 2019, unit sales of household robots are expected to increase by 46% on average per year, with more than 55 million units will be sold in 2022. Also, sales values for the household robot were up by 15% to USD 3.7 billion.
- Technological innovations, with respect to cognition, interaction, and manipulation, have made household robotics more appealing. Technology and other component providers have been instrumental in moving the robotics ecosystem forward. For instance, in April 2019, researchers at the University of California developed a robot that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to perform intricate human tasks, such as helping in folding laundry or making a cup of coffee.
- Increasing penetration of automation in household appliances, rise in labor costs, and increasing safety concerns are driving the demand for household robots across the world.
- With the increasing growth of the smart home concept, the robot may play a crucial role in the smart home ecosystem. For instance, in 2019, Temi partnered with Amazon Alexa to design intelligent, mobile, personal AI-powered robots. The temi home robot combines advanced sensing, Amazon's Alexa virtual assistant technology, and AI-enabled facial and voice recognition to deliver a mobile smart home hub that promises to take human-machine interaction to a new level.
- The increase in investments by companies across the world to develop household robots for a wide range of applications is one of the significant factors driving the market. Samsung and LG Electronics are extensively investing in developing and launching of new household robotic products. For instance, Jibo is developing social robots to integrate into the home lives for interactive companion. Observing the market potential, startups offering household robot solutions are also attracting funding from international investors.
- However, the high equipment cost is limiting the adoption rate of household robots. Further decrease in its ASPs is expected to increase the purchase of these robots.
Key Market Trends
The Vacuum Cleaning and Mopping Segment to Dominate the Market
- Among all the household robots, automated vacuum cleaners and moppers are the most commercialized and developed products by the companies. The companies are continuously investing in developing more compact and integrated vacuum cleaner and mopping robots to reach narrow places at home. The companies are integrating advanced technologies, like voice recognition and laser-based technologies, to map the floor structure. For instance, Irobot launched a Roomba i7+, which is capable of acquiring voice commands and intelligent mapping techniques.
- Additionally, with the increasing developments in the machine vision cameras, companies are also using these 2D and 3D machine vision cameras with AI technologies to effectively map edges of the floor, like a staircase, and recognize obstacles, such as cables, dustbins, doorsills, and rugs.
- Moreover, to increase the life of cleaning tools, like brushes and filter, now, the companies are installing blades inside the chamber to cut the trash into pieces; especially human and pet hairs which cause frequent entanglements in the equipment and reduce cleaning effectiveness.
The Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Witness the Fastest Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness the fastest growth, due to high investments in household robot development and growth in the demand for autonomous smart home devices, like robotics cleaners. The region includes countries, like China, offering low priced toy robots, among other sophisticated household robots. According to Asia Fund Manager 2019 studies, Ecovacs Robotics is China's biggest player in household robotics. It has sold 4.14 million products, pushing sales revenue up by 34.7% year-on-year.
- Companies in the region are also looking forward to developing all-purpose household robots for helping with chores and even offering companionship. Toyota is expected to launch the inverted age-pyramid in Japan by 2050. Also, the company is investing in developing household products. Additionally, a startup from Japan, Preferred Networks, declared to launch the all-purpose household robots to help people in the next five years.
- Moreover, the investors in the region are continuously injecting funds in the startups offering household robots. For instance, in January 2020, Trifo raised USD 15 million from investors that include Yidu Cloud, Tsinghua AI Fund, and Matrix Partners for its robotic vacuum "Lucy".
- In July 2019, iFlyTek raised an investment of USD 407 million from China Asset Management to integrate AI and service robots. Such growth in the market is expected to drive the growth of the household robots market in the region.
The market for household robots is moderately consolidated due to the presence of a few companies dominating the market. Also, the further development and commercialization of these products are expected to attract new entrants in the market. To gain more market share, the companies offering household products are making strategic acquisitions and product launches. Some of the recent developments are mentioned below.
- September 2019 - Roborocl released its latest vacuuming and mopping robot S5 Max. The robot is equipped with the remote application and voice controls. Also, the company claimed that it can map the floor structure with its precision laser mapping and advanced navigation technology.
- July 2019 - Fahey Group announced the acquisition of Robin Autopilot, a pioneer in robotic lawnmowers in the US market. With this acquisition, the Fahey Group expanded its portfolio in its landmark lawn and garden supply brands.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Growing Research and Development Investments and Wide Range of Applications
- 4.2.2 Rapid Urbanization
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 High Cost of Equipment
- 4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Robotic Vacuum and Mopping
- 5.1.2 Lawn Mowing
- 5.1.3 Pool Cleaning
- 5.1.4 Companionship and Other Applications
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Irobot Corporation
- 6.1.2 Neato Robotics Inc.
- 6.1.3 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
- 6.1.4 Ecovacs Robotics Inc.
- 6.1.5 Alfred Karcher SE & Co. KG
- 6.1.6 LG Electronics
- 6.1.7 Blue Frog Robotics Inc.
- 6.1.8 Deere & Company
- 6.1.9 Husqvarna AB
- 6.1.10 ILIFE INNOVATION LTD.
- 6.1.11 bObsweep
- 6.1.12 Monoprice Inc.
- 6.1.13 Maytronics Ltd
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS