Product Code: 60352
The context-aware computing market was valued at USD 42.21 billion in 2019, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 200.04 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 29.9% over 2020-2025. With the evolution of ubiquitous computing, which is a concept in computer science where computing is made available at any time and everywhere (due to the third wave of computing becoming popular over desktop computing) context-aware computing has also witnessed a rise in its demand.
- Contextual awareness is the ability of computing systems to acquire, fetch, and reason the situational context, and adapt to their applications. A context-aware system starts to collect raw, low-level contextual data, interpret the raw contextual data into high-level interpreted context, reason the interpreted context to derive implications, and adapt the application behavior, based on the implications
- Escalating penetration of mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and PCs, along with the advent of smart wearable devices, is projected to catalyze the context-aware computing market demand. This is because context awareness is a property of mobile devices that are defined as complementarily to location awareness
- Integration of AI into the mobile apps is also driving the market. For instance, Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly becoming one of the most critical aspects in both business and science, and more leading technology companies are showing interest in AI investment. Google's USD 400 million acquisition of DeepMind is a prime example of rising interest in acquiring AI technology.
- In addition, the automotive industry is expected to offer a significant stimulus to the market, due to the development of connected cars, self-driving, and autonomous cars. However, computational complexities are hindering the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Consumer Electronics Segment is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Smartphones and tablets have moved far beyond the capability of sending text messages or making calls, and are now personal navigators, storage devices, arcades, and social hubs.
- As smartphones are equipped with various sophisticated sensors, such as accelerometers, GPS, microphone, magnetometer, and camera, among others, adding context-aware useful applications to sensors equipped in such devices, enhances user experience.
- Moreover, the evolution of smartphones and increasing computational power have enabled developers to create innovative context-aware applications, to recognize user-related social and cognitive actions, in any situation and at any location.
- A prominent example of context-aware technologies in smartphones is in the way they react to ambient light, by adjusting screen brightness for optimal readability. As this feature is available in every smartphone in the market, the growth in the sales of smartphones is poised to drive the demand for context-aware technology in consumer electronics.
North America is Expected to Dominate the Context Aware Computing Market
- North America is one of the most significant markets for context aware computing, owing to its dominance in AI and machine learning technologies. Most of the major market vendors in the studied market are US-based, which also gives the region an innovative advantage. Additionally, the regional governments are increasingly motivating the adoption of AI, ML, and context aware technologies, which is also developing space for the studied market vendors to expand their presence in the region.
- The region is home to top users, as well as integrators of context-aware computing technology. These include technology leaders, such as Google, e-commerce giant Amazon, financial institutions such as Visa, and telecom giants such as Verizon and AT&T, who have constantly incorporated this technology to enhance their customer service and product offerings.
- Apple, Amazon, and Google smart gadgets, such as watches and speakers, have established themselves in the North American market place. Increased integration of smart wearables to IoT devices, driven by the adoption of smart homes in the region, is expected to augment the market.
The context-aware computing market is highly fragmented. Due to players creating context-aware API (Application Programming Interfaces) for the development of innovative commercial applications, the market is becoming very competitive. Moreover, many players are entering the market with innovation and development. Some of the key players in the industry are Google LLC, IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Cisco Systems Inc., Oracle Corporation, among others.
- June 2019 - Microsoft Corp. and Oracle Corp. announced a cloud interoperability partnership enabling customers to migrate and run mission-critical enterprise workloads across Microsoft Azure and Oracle Cloud. Enterprises can now seamlessly connect Azure services, like Analytics and AI, to Oracle Cloud services, like Autonomous Database. By enabling customers to run one part of a workload within Azure and another part of the same workload within the Oracle Cloud, the partnership delivers a highly optimized, best-of-both-clouds experience.
- April 2019 - Dell Technologies, VMWare, and Microsoft made their workplace software and cloud computing technologies work better together. Microsoft's Azure cloud computing customers can use VMWare's Virtualization software to manage their IT operations in Azure.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Integration of Artificial Intelligence into Mobile Apps
- 4.2.2 Rise in Integrated IoT Offerings
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Computational Complexities
- 4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.6 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Hardware
- 5.1.2 Software
- 5.1.3 Services
- 5.2 Vendor (Qualitative Analysis)
- 5.2.1 Device Manufacturer
- 5.2.2 Mobile Network Operator
- 5.2.3 Online, Web, and Social Networking Vendors
- 5.3 End-user Industry
- 5.3.1 BFSI
- 5.3.2 Consumer Electronics
- 5.3.3 Media and Entertainment
- 5.3.4 Automotive
- 5.3.5 Healthcare
- 5.3.6 Telecommunication
- 5.3.7 Logistics and Transportation
- 5.3.8 Other End-user Industries
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 Latin America
- 5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 IBM Corporation
- 6.1.2 Microsoft Corporation
- 6.1.3 Cisco Systems Inc
- 6.1.4 Google LLC
- 6.1.5 Oracle Corporation
- 6.1.6 Amazon Web Services Inc.
- 6.1.7 Verizon Communications Inc.
- 6.1.8 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
- 6.1.9 Apple Inc.
- 6.1.10 Intel Corp.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS