Product Code: SE 7208
"Growing adoption of wearable devices is propelling growth of micro battery market"
The global micro battery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 30.4% from 2019 to 2025, reaching USD 631 million by 2025 from USD 128 million in 2019. The application areas of wearable devices are growing from consumer electronics and medical devices to wireless communication devices. The market for wearable technology is witnessing increasing product innovation with new product launches and developments. These come in many shapes and forms, and most wearable applications require ultra-thin durable batteries, creating a huge market potential for micro batteries. However, the technical inabilities of micro battery in terms of energy density and capacity, and lack of standardization in the development of these batteries are major factors restraining the micro battery market's growth.
"Micro battery market to be driven by secondary batteries during forecast period"
The secondary battery segment is expected to hold a significant share of the micro battery market during the forecast period. Rechargeable batteries with long lifespan are used in wearable devices, medical devices, wireless sensor nodes, and consumer electronics, among others. With the advancement in technologies used in wearable devices and medical devices, manufacturers are continuously making efforts to come up with innovative designs suitable for their devices. This, in turn, is increasing the need for bendable, flexible, and high-capacity rechargeable batteries that can last long. Therefore, the demand for secondary micro batteries in the aforementioned applications is high and is expected to increase rapidly during the forecast period.
"Printed battery expected to grow at significant CAGR during forecast period"
The printed battery market is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. Printed batteries are a newer type of micro batteries. They are mostly built from zinc-based materials. Advantages such as thin size, small form factor, and ability to be disposed of easily have made printed batteries popular in the smart packaging and medical application markets. Recent technological advancements in printed batteries are also expected to fuel their demand.
"Micro battery market in APAC to witness highest growth rate in coming years"
The micro battery market in APAC is expected to grow at the highest CAGR from 2019 to 2025. The market in APAC mainly comprises developing economies, such as China and India, which have a huge potential for the micro battery. Increasing demand for IoT and portable consumer electronic devices in countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea is driving the market for micro battery in APAC. In this region, the popularity of next-generation smart cards is rapidly increasing. This has, in turn, led to the growth in demand for micro batteries to be integrated into the smart cards as power sources. The market for micro battery in APAC is expected to grow due to the demand for smart packaging, wearable devices, and consumer electronics from major countries in this region.
To determine and verify the market size of several segments and subsegments, extensive primary interviews have been conducted with key personalities in the micro battery market.
Following is the breakup of the primary participants:
- By Company Type: Tier 1 = 35 %, Tier 2 = 45%, and Tier 3 = 20%
- By Designation: C-Level Executives = 35%, Directors = 25%, and Others = 40%
- By Region: North America = 45%, Europe = 20%, APAC = 30%, and RoW = 5%
The report profiles the key players in the micro battery market and analyzes their market rankings. Some of the prominent players profiled in this report include Cymbet Corporation (US), STMicroelectronics N.V. (Switzerland), Samsung SDI Co., Ltd. (South Korea), Enfucell Oy Ltd. (Finland), BrightVolt Inc. (US), Front Edge Technology, Inc. (US), PolyPlus Battery Co. Inc. (US), TDK Corporation (Japan), Blue Spark Technologies, Inc. (US), Jenax Inc. (South Korea), Ultralife Corporation (US), and Molex (US).
This research report categorizes the micro battery market based on type, capacity, rechargeability, application, and region. The report describes the major drivers, restraints, challenges, and opportunities pertaining to this market, as well as the value chain and market ranking analyses.
Reasons to Buy the Report:
The report would help leaders/new entrants in the micro battery market in the following ways:
- 1. The report segments the micro battery market comprehensively and provides the market size estimation for all subsegments across different regions.
- 2. The report helps stakeholders understand the pulse of the market and provides them with information on key market drivers, restraints, challenges, and opportunities.
- 3. The report would help stakeholders understand their competitors better and gain insights to improve their position in the micro battery market. The competitive landscape section describes the competitor ecosystem.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 STUDY OBJECTIVES
- 1.2 DEFINITION
- 1.3 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
- 1.3.1 GEOGRAPHIC SCOPE
- 1.3.2 YEARS CONSIDERED
- 1.4 CURRENCY
- 1.5 LIMITATIONS
- 1.6 STAKEHOLDERS
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 2.1 RESEARCH DATA
- 2.1.1 SECONDARY AND PRIMARY RESEARCH
- 2.1.2 SECONDARY DATA
- 220.127.116.11 Secondary sources
- 2.1.3 PRIMARY DATA
- 18.104.22.168 Primary sources
- 22.214.171.124 Key industry insights
- 126.96.36.199 Breakdown of primaries
- 2.2 MARKET SIZE ESTIMATION
- 2.2.1 BOTTOM-UP APPROACH
- 188.8.131.52 Approach for arriving at the market share by bottom-up approach (demand side)
- 2.2.2 TOP-DOWN APPROACH
- 184.108.40.206 Approach for arriving at the market share by top-down analysis (supply side)
- 2.3 DATA TRIANGULATION
- 2.4 RESEARCH ASSUMPTIONS
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 PREMIUM INSIGHTS
- 4.1 ATTRACTIVE GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES IN MICRO BATTERY MARKET
- 4.2 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY TYPE
- 4.3 MICRO BATTERY MARKET IN NORTH AMERICA, BY COUNTRY AND APPLICATION
- 4.4 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY APPLICATION
- 4.5 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY COUNTRY, 2018
5 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION
- 5.1.1 DRIVERS
- 220.127.116.11 Inherent advantages of micro batteries
- 18.104.22.168 Growth in the adoption of wearable devices
- 22.214.171.124 Need for compact batteries in medical devices
- 126.96.36.199 Demand for thin and flexible batteries in IoT devices
- 5.1.2 RESTRAINTS
- 188.8.131.52 Technical inabilities of micro batteries
- 184.108.40.206 High capital investment
- 220.127.116.11 Lack of standardization in the development of micro batteries
- 5.1.3 OPPORTUNITIES
- 18.104.22.168 Integration of micro batteries in smart textiles
- 22.214.171.124 Rise in the adoption of wireless sensors
- 5.1.4 CHALLENGES
- 126.96.36.199 Complex design process
- 188.8.131.52 High competition from conventional battery technologies
- 5.1.5 VALUE CHAIN ANALYSIS
6 COMPONENTS OF MICRO BATTERY
- 6.1 INTRODUCTION
- 6.2 ELECTRODES
- 6.2.1 CATHODE
- 6.2.2 ANODE
- 6.3 ELECTROLYTES
- 6.4 SUBSTRATES
- 6.5 CURRENT COLLECTORS
- 6.6 OTHERS
7 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY TYPE
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 THIN FILM BATTERY
- 7.2.1 THIN FILM BATTERY LED THE GLOBAL MICRO BATTERY MARKET IN 2018
- 7.3 PRINTED BATTERY
- 7.3.1 PRINTED BATTERIES ARE MOSTLY PRIMARY BATTERIES COMPOSED OF
NON-TOXIC COMPONENTS 50
- 7.4 SOLID STATE CHIP BATTERY
- 7.4.1 SOLID STATE CHIP BATTERIES ARE PACKAGED AS A SURFACE MOUNT DEVICE.
8 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY RECHARGEABILITY
- 8.1 INTRODUCTION
- 8.2 PRIMARY BATTERY
- 8.2.1 PRIMARY BATTERIES ARE PROMINENTLY USED IN DEVICES WHEREIN CHARGING IS IMPRACTICAL
- 8.3 SECONDARY BATTERY
- 8.3.1 RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES HAVE A HIGHER DEMAND THAN PRIMARY BATTERIES BECAUSE OF THEIR LONGER LIFESPAN.
9 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY CAPACITY
- 9.1 INTRODUCTION
- 9.2 BELOW 10 MAH
- 9.2.1 DEVICES THAT REQUIRE LOW POWER MOSTLY EMPLOYEE MICRO BATTERIES WITH A CAPACITY BELOW 10 MAH.
- 9.3 BETWEEN 10 MAH TO 100 MAH
- 9.3.1 ABOVE 100 MAH MICRO BATTERIES ARE DESIGNED FOR DEVICES WITH HIGH ENERGY REQUIREMENTS
- 9.4 ABOVE 100 MAH
- 9.4.1 DEVICES THAT REQUIRE LOW POWER MOSTLY EMPLOYEE MICRO BATTERIES WITH A CAPACITY BELOW 10 MAH.
10 MICRO BATTERY MARKET, BY APPLICATION
- 10.1 INTRODUCTION
- 10.2 CONSUMER ELECTRONICS
- 10.2.1 MICRO BATTERIES FOR CONSUMER ELECTRONICS APPLICATION ARE IN THE INITIAL STAGE OF COMMERCIALIZATION
- 10.3 MEDICAL DEVICES
- 10.3.1 PENETRATION OF IOT IN THE MEDICAL FIELD HAVE GENERATED OPPORTUNITIES FOR NEW BATTERY-POWERED MEDICAL DEVICES.
- 10.4 SMART PACKAGING
- 10.4.1 HOLDS A SIGNIFICANT SHARE IN THE OVERALL MICRO BATTERY MARKET
- 10.5 SMART CARDS
- 10.5.1 SMART CARDS ARE ONE OF THE MAJOR APPLICATION AREAS FOR MICRO BATTERIES
- 10.6 WEARABLE DEVICES
- 10.6.1 MICRO BATTERIES ARE INCREASING USED IN WEARABLE DEVICES DUE TO THEIR DESIGN AND FLEXIBILITY
- 10.7 WIRELESS SENSOR NODES
- 10.7.1 WIRELESS SENSOR NODES HAVE LIMITED INTERNAL SPACE, THUS MICRO BATTERY IS A PREFERRED POWER SOURCE.
- 10.8 OTHERS
- 10.8.1 GROWING POPULARITY OF MICRO BATTERIES IS EXPECTED TO WIDEN THEIR POTENTIAL APPLICATION AREAS IN THE COMING YEARS.
11 GEOGRAPHIC ANALYSIS
- 11.1 INTRODUCTION
- 11.2 NORTH AMERICA
- 11.2.1 US
- 184.108.40.206 Accounted for the largest share for micro battery market in
North America 97
- 11.2.2 CANADA
- 220.127.116.11 Adoption of IoT in medical devices has created significant opportunities for the growth of micro battery market in Canada
- 11.2.3 MEXICO
- 18.104.22.168 Mexico is expected to be a lucrative market for micro batteries.
- 11.3 EUROPE
- 11.3.1 GERMANY
- 22.214.171.124 Germany invests in extensive R&D of battery production, due to which it holds a strong market value
- 11.3.2 UK
- 126.96.36.199 Increasing demand for smart wearable devices as well as IoT-based medical devices, is expected to drive the demand for micro batteries in the UK
- 11.3.3 FRANCE
- 188.8.131.52 France is an important destination in terms of technology and industrialization.
- 11.3.4 REST OF EUROPE
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe held the largest share of the micro battery market in Europe
- 11.4 APAC
- 11.4.1 CHINA
- 220.127.116.11 China, holds immense potential for the growth of the micro battery market.
- 11.4.2 JAPAN
- 18.104.22.168 The presence of major wearable devices manufacturing companies has contributed to the high growth of the micro battery market in this country.
- 11.4.3 INDIA
- 22.214.171.124 India presents huge growth opportunities for the IoT market
- 11.4.4 REST OF APAC
- 126.96.36.199 The growing number of production-based companies is driving the growth of the micro battery market in many countries in RoAPAC
- 11.5 ROW
- 11.5.1 MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA
- 188.8.131.52 Banks in this region are adopting the smart card technology for secure transactions, thus increasing the demand for micro battery
- 11.5.2 SOUTH AMERICA
- 184.108.40.206 Technological advancements, such as the influx of IoT, drive the growth of the micro battery market in this region.
12 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 12.1 OVERVIEW
- 12.2 RANKING ANALYSIS, 2018
- 12.3 COMPETITIVE LEADERSHIP MAPPING
- 12.3.1 VISIONARY LEADERS
- 12.3.2 DYNAMIC DIFFERENTIATORS
- 12.3.3 INNOVATORS
- 12.3.4 EMERGING COMPANIES
- 12.4 COMPETITIVE BENCHMARKING
- 12.4.1 STRENGTH OF PRODUCT PORTFOLIO (18 PLAYERS)
- 12.4.2 BUSINESS STRATEGY EXCELLENCE (18 PLAYERS)
- 12.5 COMPETITIVE SITUATIONS AND TRENDS
- 12.5.1 PRODUCT LAUNCHES AND DEVELOPMENTS
- 12.5.2 OTHERS
13 COMPANY PROFILES
(Business Overview, Products Offered, Recent Developments, SWOT Analysis, and MnM View)*
- 13.1 KEY PLAYERS
- 13.1.1 CYMBET
- 13.1.2 STMICROELECTRONICS
- 13.1.3 ENFUCELL
- 13.1.4 SAMSUNG SDI
- 13.1.5 BRIGHTVOLT
- 13.1.6 FRONT EDGE TECHNOLOGY
- 13.1.7 POWER PAPER
- 13.1.8 ENFUCELL
- 13.1.9 IMPRINT ENERGY
- 13.1.10 ULTRALIFE
- 13.1.11 BLUE SPARK TECHNOLOGIES
- 13.2 OTHER COMPANIES
- 13.2.1 ENERGY DIAGNOSTICS LIMITED
- 13.2.2 PROLOGIUM TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
- 13.2.3 MOLEX
- 13.2.4 POLYPLUS BATTERY
- 13.2.5 ITEN SA
- 13.2.6 JENAX
- 13.2.7 PANASONIC
- 13.2.8 TDK
- 13.2.9 GUANGZHOU FULLRIVER BATTERY
- 13.2.10 NEC ENERGY SOLUTIONS
Details on Business Overview, Products Offered, Recent Developments, SWOT Analysis, and MnM View might not be captured in case of unlisted companies.
- 14.1 INSIGHTS OF INDUSTRY EXPERTS
- 14.2 DISCUSSION GUIDE
- 14.3 KNOWLEDGE STORE: MARKETSANDMARKETS' SUBSCRIPTION PORTAL
- 14.4 AVAILABLE CUSTOMIZATIONS
- 14.5 RELATED REPORTS
- 14.6 AUTHOR DETAILS