Product Code: 61259
The market for low profile additives is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 7%, during the forecast period of 2019- 2024. Major factors driving the market studied are the growing demand for high-performance SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) formulations from the automotive industry and emerging applications in fiber-reinforced plastics (FRP). However, high polymerization shrinkage of unsaturated polyester resin with the crosslinking styrene monomer is expected to hinder the market growth.
- Injection and compression molding (sheet molding compounds (SMC) and bulk molding compounds (BMC)) application segment dominated the market in 2018 and is expected to grow during the forecast period owing to their increasing consumption in end-users like automotive, aerospace & defense and medical industries.
- The continuously growing trend of using recycled plastic materials is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from China and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Increase in Demand for High Performance SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) Formulations from Automotive Industry
- The automotive industry is currently following an important energetic transition with the development of vehicles in compliance to drastic environmental constraints.
- A vehicle weight reduction of 100 kg saves up to 12.5 g of CO2 emissions every kilometer. In other words, every kilogram in car weight reduction can save 20 kg of greenhouse gas emissions throughout the lifetime of a car. Furthermore, volatile and gradually increasing gas prices lead to a higher demand for lightweight cars with higher fuel efficiency.
- In this scenario, the reduction of the overall weight of cars is crucial and the substitution of heavy steel parts by lightweight composite materials is gaining momentum.
- In a typical automobile, the use of fiber composites is 50% by volume, while adding just 10% of the weight. In the United States, the government raised the fuel efficiency requirements for new automobiles to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025 for the United States market, therefore the companies have started using the composite materials, such as carbon fiber to make vehicles lightweight and fuel-efficient.
- Sheet molding compounds (SMCs) are a class of composite materials used for a long time in the automotive industry owing to their low weight, low cost, and good mechanical properties. These SMC formulations are blended with a thermoplastic low profile additive (LPA) to compensate for polymerization shrinkage.
- Thus, expanding automotive industry is fueling the demand for low profile additives market and also poses a potential to propel the growth in the nearby future.
North America Region to Dominate the Market
- With almost 35% of the global demand, North America is the most promising market for low profile additives. This domination can be attributed to the growing demand for fiber reinforced plastics market in the region.
- The United States accounts for over 80% of the demand for low profile additives in this region. With its technology-driven economic base, the United States is one of the world's largest markets for composite materials. This huge market for composite materials is responsible for the current position of the country in the global low profile additives market.
- In the fast few years, SMC formulation and processing innovations have boosted the volume of SMC in EV and hybrid automotive parts like battery covers, inductive charging plates, lift gates and engine protectors in the United States. This boosted volume of SMC is instrumental in propelling the market growth of low profile additives in the country.
- The transportation sector is the largest end-user industry for composite materials and low profile additives. The transportation industry is continuously looking for innovative materials to help reduce vehicle weight and achieve fuel efficiency and carbon emission targets.
- Commercial aircraft, military craft, helicopters, business jets, general aviation aircraft and spacecraft of the aerospace industry in the United States also make substantial use of composites and low profile additives.
- Overall, with the consistent growth in the United States and Canada, the demand for low profile additives is expected to increase at a faster pace in the overall region, in the coming years. The huge growth of North America is quite instrumental in the expansion of the global Low profile additives market.
The market for low profile additive is fragmented and highly competitive. The major players include Wacker Chemie AG, Ashland, Polynt, Poliya Composite Resins and Polymers Inc., and Swancor Manufacturing Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increase in Demand for High Performance SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) Formulations from Automotive Industry.
- 4.1.2 Emerging applications in fiber-reinforced plastics (FRP)
- 4.1.3 Replacement of Steel Rebar (Reinforcing Bar employed to strengthen Concrete Structures)
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 High Polymerization Shrinkage of Unsaturated Polyester Resin with the Crosslinking Styrene Monomer
- 4.2.2 Influence in Thermal and Mechanical Properties, and Water Absorption
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porters 5 Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Product Type
- 5.1.1 Polystyrene Based
- 5.1.2 Polyvinyl Acetate Based
- 5.1.3 PMMA Based
- 5.1.4 High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- 5.1.5 Polyester Based
- 126.96.36.199 Saturated Polyesters Based
- 188.8.131.52 PU based Saturated Polyesters Based
- 5.1.6 Others
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Injection and Compression Molding (Sheet Molding Compounds (SMC) and Bulk Molding Compounds (BMC))
- 5.2.2 Pultrusion
- 5.2.3 Resin Transfer Molding (RTM)
- 5.2.4 Hand Lay-up
- 5.2.5 Spray-up
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 184.108.40.206 China
- 220.127.116.11 India
- 18.104.22.168 Japan
- 22.214.171.124 South Korea
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 188.8.131.52 United States
- 184.108.40.206 Canada
- 220.127.116.11 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
- 126.96.36.199 France
- 188.8.131.52 Italy
- 184.108.40.206 Spain
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 18.104.22.168 Brazil
- 22.214.171.124 Argentina
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
- 184.108.40.206 South Africa
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Aliancys AG
- 6.4.2 ALTANA
- 6.4.3 AOC, LLC
- 6.4.4 Arkema Group
- 6.4.5 Ashland
- 6.4.6 Composites One
- 6.4.7 Link Composites Pvt. Ltd.
- 6.4.8 Lucite International (Mitsubishi Chemical)
- 6.4.9 Mechemco
- 6.4.10 Monachem
- 6.4.11 Poliya Composite Resins and Polymers Inc
- 6.4.12 Polynt
- 6.4.13 Reichhold LLC 2
- 6.4.14 Swancor
- 6.4.15 Synthomer Plc.
- 6.4.16 Wacker Chemie AG
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Continuously Growing Trend of Using Recycled Plastic Materials
- 7.2 Immense Potential for Pultruded Composites in Building and Construction Sectors