Product Code: 66573
The wet chemicals market for electronics and semiconductor applications is expected to register a CAGR of more than 6%, during the forecast period. Rising demand from modern technology industries and surging demand for hydrogen peroxide from the semiconductor industry are expected to drive the growth of the market studied.
- However, sudden dip in the semiconductor industry and waste management of semiconductors are anticipated to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- By product type, the hydrogen peroxide segment accounted for the largest share of 25%.
- By geography, Asia-Pacific dominated the global market. It is also expected to register the fastest CAGR over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Hydrogen Peroxide
- The hydrogen peroxide chemical is estimated to hold the highest share in the global market, on account of its extensive use in the semiconductor industry as a wet chemical, from the long-established applications in the etching of printed circuit boards to the more recent application of ultra-high purity grades in the semiconductor production.
- The manufacturing and processing of semiconductor wafers mainly involve wet chemistry steps, where hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used in combination with other chemicals for cost-effective cleaning and etching. The main application of hydrogen peroxide in the electronics industry include:
- In the first step of RCA cleaning, it is used with ammonia (removal of organic impurities and particles on wafers)
- In the third step of RCA cleaning, it is used with hydrochloric acid (removal of metallic impurities on wafers)
- Finally, with sulfuric acid in "piranha acid", for residual organic film removal
- High purity hydrogen peroxide is a key chemical in the manufacturing of semiconductor chips. The demand for ultra-pure hydrogen peroxide increases with the increase in the complexity of computer chips and the miniaturization of circuits in them.
- Due to rapid expansion in the electronics industry, the demand for electronic chemicals used to clean and etch large-scale integrated circuits and semiconductors has also surged. To offset that demand, companies have started investing in new hydrogen peroxide production plants.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to increase the demand for wet chemicals in the electronics and semiconductor applications.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. With the growing demand for electronics in countries, such as China, India, and Japan, the usage of wet chemicals is increasing in the region.
- The semiconductors market in China is currently lagging behind. Currently, China is the net importer of semiconductor chips, with China manufacturing less than 20% of semiconductors used. As part of the country's ambitious "Made in China 2025" plan, the Chinese government has announced their decision to reach an output of USD 305 billion by 2030, and therefore meet 80% of its domestic demand.
- Similarly, over 90% of the IC's that are currently being used by China are either imported or domestically manufactured by foreign chipmakers.
- The Chinese government has declared to invest above USD100 billion over the following decade to catch up with the United States in semiconductor technology.
- Also, Japan currently has about 30 semiconductor fab industries which are involved in manufacturing of various semiconductor chips. Japan's semiconductor supply chain provides one third of the world's semiconductor manufacturing equipment and more than half of the industry's materials.
- Various chip manufacturers across Japan have reduced the production to avoid excess inventories amid uncertainties stemming from China-U.S. trade frictions.
- However, downfall in semiconductor industry across the globe is inturn likely to hinder the overall demand of the wet chemicals market.
The wet chemicals market for electronics and semiconductor applications is highly concentrated, with the top five players accounting for over 60% of the market share. Major players in the market include KMG Chemicals, BASF SE, Avantor Inc., Honeywell International LLC, and KANTO CHEMICAL CO. INC., amongst others
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Rising Demand from Modern Technology Industries
- 4.1.2 Surging Demand for Hydrogen peroxide from the Semiconductor Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Waste Management for Semiconductors
- 4.2.2 Sudden Dip in the Semiconductor Market
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Product Type
- 5.1.1 Acetic Acid
- 5.1.2 Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)
- 5.1.3 Hydrogen Peroxide
- 5.1.4 Hydrochloric Acid
- 5.1.5 Ammonium Hydroxide
- 5.1.6 Hydrofluoric Acid
- 5.1.7 Nitric Acid
- 5.1.8 Phosphoric Acid
- 5.1.9 Sulfuric Acid
- 5.1.10 Others
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Semiconductor
- 220.127.116.11 Cleaning
- 18.104.22.168 Etching
- 5.2.2 Other Electronic Applications
- 22.214.171.124 Integrated Circuit (IC) Manufacturing
- 126.96.36.199 Printed Circuit Boards (PCB) Manufacturing
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 France
- 126.96.36.199 Russia
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Avantor Inc.
- 6.4.2 BASF SE
- 6.4.3 Eastman Chemical Company
- 6.4.4 FUJIFILM Corporation
- 6.4.5 Honeywell International LLC
- 6.4.6 KANTO CHEMICAL CO. INC.
- 6.4.7 KMG Chemicals (Cabot Microelectronics)
- 6.4.8 kredence Pvt Ltd
- 6.4.9 Solvay
- 6.4.10 T.N.C. INDUSTRIAL CO. LTD
- 6.4.11 Technic Inc.
- 6.4.12 Linde
- 6.4.13 Zhejiang Kaisn Fluorochemical Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Recycling of Semiconductors
- 7.2 Favorable Growth Market for Semiconductors In Malaysia