Product Code: 66289
The propane market was valued at over 160 million metric tons in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026). Owing to the impact of COVID-19, the demand for propane from end-user industries including commercial, transportation, and industry has been declined drastically. However, the demand from the residential sector increased for Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) owing to the rise in usage during the lockdown scenario. The pandemic's impact and lower crude prices, plus a decline in oil & gas production are reducing propane supplies from all major basins.
- In the short term, factors such as the increasing demand from various end-user industries, such as industrial, construction, and petrochemical are likely to drive the market growth.
- The harmful effects of propane at higher concentrations are expected to inhibit the growth of the market studied.
- The usage of propane in power generation is expected to act as an opportunity for the market.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the global market. The largest consumption was witnessed in the China and India.
Key Market Trends
Residential Segment to Dominate the market
- In the residential sector, propane is used for air conditioning, heating water, cooking and refrigerating foods, drying clothes, lighting, and fuelling fireplaces.
- Propane is used mostly in homes in rural areas that do not have natural gas service, as well as in mobile homes. Millions of homes use propane to meet some of their energy requirements. In the United States, about five million households use propane as their main heating source and around one fifth of mobile homes use propane for heating.
- Homes that use propane as a main energy source usually have a large propane tank outside of the house that stores propane under pressure as a liquid. Propane dealers deliver propane to the residences in trucks, filling the tanks several times a year as per the requirement.
- The average residential propane tank holds between 500 and 1,000 gallons of liquid fuel. Millions of backyard cooks use propane-powered gas grills for cooking. Moreover, recreational vehicles usually have propane-fueled appliances, giving them a portable source of energy for cooking, hot water, and refrigeration. People often use propane for outdoor cooking, and because of its portability, it is especially popular with campers and mobile homeowners.
- However, due to improvements in propane usage efficiency, the demand, in terms of volume for propane, may be stagnant in the future.
- The increasing new residential construction, combined with continuing fuel oil conversions, is expected to offset residential space heating losses to electricity and natural gas, which is leading to slow growth in the number of residential space heating customers through 2025.
- The above-mentioned factors are anticipated to drive the demand for propane from residential sector during the forecast period.
China to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Market
- China is the worlds largest consumer of propane with an estimated share of about ~20%. To suffice the huge domestic demand, China has imported 14.91 million tons of propane in 2019 representing growth of about 10.8% Y-o-Y over the total imports registered in 2018. The major factor which attributed towards the rise in propane imports in the nation is the increased demand from propane dehydrogenation or PDH plants.
- China represents the second largest autogas market in Asia-Pacific behind Thailand. The autogasmarket in China had developed largely as a result of local programmes to promote alternative fuels to tackle the worsening problem of air pollution in the nation.
- Autogas schemes, which were initially developed in Guangzhou City and Hong Kong, have now been introduced in over 25 other cities. Currently, in Guangzhou, nearly all of the city's 19,000 taxis and 90% of 8,000 buses had switched to the autogas. Similarly, in Hong Kong, nearly all the taxis operating in city of about 20,000 and 30% of all the public buses run on autogas.
- The Chinese economy has been severely hit with the COVID-19 outbreak. All the major manufacturing industries have taken a major hit as the entire nation had gone into self quarantine situation to contain the virus outbreak.
- Overall, the market for propane in China is projected to increase at a rapid rate post Covid-19 recovery by mid of forecast timeframe.
The global propane gas market is fragmented in nature, owing to the presence of a huge number of natural gas producers around the world. Major oil companies, such as Gazprom, Shell, China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation, ExxonMobil, and Saudi Arabian Oil Co. (Saudi Aramco), lead the market, in terms of production of propane, owing to their vast production outputs of natural gas at several facilities around the world.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increase in Demand from Residential and Transportation Sectors
- 4.1.2 Demand in the Petrochemical Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Harmful Effects of Propane at Higher Concentrations
- 4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Technological Snapshot
- 4.6 Trade Analysis
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
- 5.1 End-user Industry
- 5.1.1 Residential
- 5.1.2 Commercial
- 5.1.3 Transportation
- 5.1.4 Industrial
- 5.1.5 Other End-user Industries
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 France
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.4 South America
- 184.108.40.206 Brazil
- 220.127.116.11 Argentina
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
- 126.96.36.199 South Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Saudi Aramco
- 6.4.2 BP p.l.c.
- 6.4.3 Chevron corporation
- 6.4.4 ConocoPhillips Company
- 6.4.5 Eni SpA
- 6.4.6 Exxon Mobil Corporation
- 6.4.7 Gazprom
- 6.4.8 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- 6.4.9 China National Petroleum Corporation (PetroChina)
- 6.4.10 Total
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Usage of Propane in Power Generation