Product Code: 63854
The infrared sensor (IR) market is expected to register a CAGR of over 12.5% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Rapid technological advancements, such as connected cars, machines, wearables, over the past decade, have led to the deployment of sensors to take input from the physical environment, to perform predefined functions upon the detection of specific information. The emergence of micro-electro mechanical systems technology has resulted in the miniaturization of mechanical and electro-mechanical elements in the field of sensors with micro-fabrication and micro-machining techniques, that have aided the industry to reduce the size, power consumption, and cost of sensors.
- The increasing investment in the security market and the growing trend of video surveillance are some of the major factors driving the adoption of the infrared sensor over the forecast period. The studied market is also driven by the development of smart cities and smart home market. In addition, increasing investments in autonomous cars is anticipated to boost the growth of the infrared sensors market.
- The automotive industry is emerging as a significant investor and adopter of infrared sensors. Although the automotive sector is witnessing recession from the last two years, however, the growing trend of autonomous vehicles and government regulations mandating ADAS systems are some of the major factors driving the adoption of infrared technology in the sector. Active infrared sensors act as proximity sensors and are commonly adopted for obstacle detection systems in the vehicles.
- Several automotive touchscreens employ proximity sensing, a technology that can enable touch-free interfaces in keyless entry systems, infotainment systems, and lighting controls. The Cadillac User Experience was the first system to provide proximity sensing in a mass-market production vehicle. Infrared sensors present below the screen can detect when a user's hand approaches the screen and activates the frequently used menus, like navigation options. Many market vendors are also making collaborations to strengthen their position across the value chain.
- An infrared sensor circuit is one of the primary and popular sensor modules in electronic and connected devices. Rapid technological advancements in electronic devices, such as connected wearables, in the last 5-6 years, have led to adoption sensors for motion detection and measuring applications. The emergence of MEMS technology has resulted in miniaturization of these devices, hence required low energy consuming sensors.
- Further, with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for the infrared sensors is witnessing growth. As part of the COVID-19 response, three Army programs -- ProgramExecutive Office Soldier, The Army Rapid Equipping Force, and the C5ISR Center of U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command -- led the initiative to use thermal imaging devices to screen for elevated body temperatures among personnel entering military facilities.
Key Market Trends
Near Infrared (NIR) is Expected to Occupy Significant Market Share
- Near-infrared (NIR) imaging is growing in demand worldwide, typically as a replacement for thermal or far-infrared (FIR) vision for night vision. Cameras comprising NIR sensors can detect the wavelengths of light directly adjacent to the visible light spectrum. Unlike thermal cameras, NIR cameras still detect photons like cameras in the visible light spectrum, just at a different wavelength. There are more detectable photons in the NIR spectrum at night, making NIR cameras so valuable for night vision.
- One of NIR imaging instances in commercial applications would be their use in advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS). The US and the EU have both mandated that all vehicles have some form of ADAS by 2020, so this technology will proliferate quickly.
- In 2020, the European Uniion (EU) has mandated that DMS and other safety systems must be integrated into all new vehicles by 2022, and the United States is also expected to follow it by initiating the "Stay Aware for Everyone" (SAFE) Act of 2020.
- Besides, the European New Car Assessment Programme(Euro NCAP) has announced that it will compensate manufacturers that offer Child Presence Detection as a standard feature in new vehicles beginning in 2022 (for instance sensing systems to monitor the safety of children left unattended in cars). Automakers and suppliers are under pressure to quickly and effectively implement sensing technologies, with the role and performance of NIR light sources gaining new significance within the vehicle. This is anticipated to boost the demand for the NIR sensors.
- When compared to thermal vision, NIR vision has been gaining high demand. Thermal vision only detects heat. It's not good at producing crisp, clear images to facilitate semi- or full-autonomy. Also, the NIR sensors have been witnessing adoption in biomedical engineering.
Asia Pacific Market to Hold a Significant Market Share
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing market for infrared sensor, owing to the established electronics industry and increasing technological advancements in economies, such as China, Japan, and South Korea. Also, the region is the largest producer and consumer of consumer electronics.
- Asia Pacific region is the fastest growing market for infrared sensor, owing to the established electronics industry and increasing technological advancements in developing countries such as China, Japan, and South Korea. The region is also the largest producer and consumer of consumer electronics.
- Over the past few years, the region has been witnessing increasing penetration of Internet of Things (IoT) and growing consumer preference toward better energy management systems. Factors such as these are driving the demand for smart home automation technology, which, in turn, boosts the demand for IR sensors.
- Many enterprises operating in this region are spending on R&D to develop infrared sensors that could bring in advancements in the packaging industry. For instance, the WG51S2, an infrared sensor developed by Yokogawa Electric Corporation, is used to measure and control the thickness of films and sheets to ensure product quality.
- Further, various governments across the countries such as India, China, and South Korea are actively trying to strengthen the IoT platforms by entering into various public and private collaborations to leverage IoTadvancements for automation and other industrial applications. Such collaborations are reinforcing the development of the market in the region.
- The presence of key market players in Asia-Pacific, rapid industrialization, primarily in manufacturing sectors, increase in demand for better security and monitoring systems, increased application of infrared detectors in the residential and consumer electronics sector, and rise in government initiatives in the aerospace and defense sector have fueled the market growth.
The infrared sensors market appears to be fragmented due to the presence of several major companies like FLIR Systems and Hamamatsu Photonics, L-3 Technologies, etc. The competitive environment is quite intense. Factors, such as the increase in the number of burglaries and the increasing investment in autonomous cars provide significant growth opportunities to infrared sensors manufacturers.
- February 2020 - Israel's Rafael developed a new, lightweight electro-optical/infrared sensor for use aboard small UAVs. The system, called MicroLite, is optimized for wide-area, persistent surveillance. It scans with high-resolution mid-wave infrared sensors and "may be equipped" with a laser designator.
- April 2020 - Foresight Autonomous Holdings Ltd made an agreement with FLIR Systems Inc for the marketing development and distribution of Foresight's QuadSightvision system, combined with FLIR's infrared cameras. Both companies are utilizing infrared technologies for enhancing ADAS and autonomous vehicle safety through improved situational awareness at night, in high-contrast scenes, and bad weather.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.3 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
- 4.4 Market Drivers
- 4.4.1 Rising Need for Wireless Communications
- 4.4.2 Growing Demand for Home Automation Products and Smart Devices
- 4.5 Market Restraints
- 4.5.1 High Manufacturing Cost
- 4.6 Impact of COVID-19 on IR Sensors Industry
- 4.7 Technology Snapshot
- 4.7.1 Evolution of IR technology (Active & Passive)
- 4.7.2 Key technical considerations for the selection of IR Sensors - Advantages & Limitations
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Near Infrared (NIR)
- 5.1.2 Infrared
- 5.1.3 Far Infrared (FIR)
- 5.2 End User Industry
- 5.2.1 Healthcare
- 5.2.2 Aerospace and Defense
- 5.2.3 Automotive
- 5.2.4 Commercial Applications
- 5.2.5 Manufacturing
- 5.2.6 Oil and Gas
- 5.2.7 Other End User Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Asia Pacific
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 5.3.4 Latin America
- 5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles*
- 6.1.1 Murata Manufacturing Co. Ltd
- 6.1.2 FLIR Systems, Inc.
- 6.1.3 Excelitas Technologies Corp
- 6.1.4 Melexis NV
- 6.1.5 Heimann Systems GmbH & Co KG
- 6.1.6 Nicera European Works Ltd
- 6.1.7 Austria Micro Systems (AMS) AG
- 6.1.8 Amphenol Advanced Sensors
- 6.1.9 Satec Co., Ltd.
- 6.1.10 Advanced Energy Industries, Inc. .
- 6.1.11 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- 6.1.12 Sick AG
- 6.1.13 Austria Micro Systems (AMS)
- 6.1.14 Honeywell International Inc.
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET