Product Code: 55780
The emotion detection and recognition (EDR) market was valued at USD 19.87 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 52.86 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 18.01% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). Understanding emotions hold significance during the interaction process between humans and machine communication systems. EDR not only improves human and computer interfaces, but also enhances the feedback mechanism actions taken by computers from the users.
- Though artificial intelligence (AI) is unleashing a wave of digital disruption, the limitation of AI to understand human emotion is still a challenge. However, in the past few years, increasing access to data, low-cost computing power, and evolving NLP combined with digital learning are enabling the systems to analyze human emotions.
- A detailed understanding of emotion is a factor that challenges the EDR market, as emotions can be expressed in multiple ways and can also be deceptive. Despite this challenge, technological advancements in AI are expected to drive the market for EDR during the forecast period.
- Other key influencers of the market include the rising need for better customer experience (as emotional connection also plays a key role along with customer satisfaction), the increasing need for a human touch in digital communications (chatbots), and challenges in language context and facial recognition.
- Many prominent companies are using emotion detection and recognition to their advantage. This technology facilitates consumer behavior detection and, thus, helps in contributing significantly to consumer behavior studies. For instance, Disney has been using technology to determine how audiences enjoy its movies, specifically creating an AI-powered algorithm that can recognize complex facial expressions and even predict upcoming emotions.
- Moreover, the technology has gained a significant amount of focus from the video game companies. Video games are designed to induce a series of emotions in players, with these reactions often being essential for the overall enjoyment of the game. The developers are integrating emotion-detection into user experience, in order to adjust or tweak sequences in real-time. This has also resulted in more immersive experience for gamers.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Adoption of Wearable Devices to Drive the EDR Market
- The IoT connections market is estimated to reach 25 billion by 2025, according to GSMA, and the IoT market revenue is expected to cross USD 1.1 trillion by the same period. With increasing IoT demand, the applications of the devices are expected to trickle down to almost every end-user industry in the world.
- Additionally, the number of connected wearable devices is on the rise. Such devices are equipped with sensors that collect, monitor, and analyze biological vitals, such as heart rate, pulse, and body temperature. For instance, the number of connected wearable devices, worldwide, is expected to reach 1,105 million by 2022, according to Cisco Systems.
- Moreover, various smart wearable device vendors in the market are increasingly incorporating biotrackers as part of their health tracking features. For instance, Huami's latest smartwatch, Amazfit GTS, is powered by its Huami Bio Tracker Optical sensor, enabling 24-hour precision heart rate monitoring. Such incorporation of biosensors is expected to provide large scale data sets to enterprises for data analysis.
- Wearables are increasingly getting equipped with ECG monitors and can measure electrocardiograms and communicate the readings to physicians for diagnosis, as well as emergency alerts. Such developments in the market offer established technological infrastructure for emotion recognition.
North America to Dominate the EDR Market
- North America is expected to hold a prominent share of the market, owing to the presence of countries, such as the United States and Canada, which are home to the largest retail markets, with demand for IoT and smart wearables and high ad spending. Marketers in the region are among the global leaders in adopting technologies that enable gaining consumer insights.
- The United States is one of the largest retail markets in the world that drives a significant share of global retail, including e-commerce. With the increasing retail sales, the retailers in the region are increasingly spending on ads that target the right segment. Increasing sales are enabling retailers to spend more on technologies that enable such capabilities.
- For instance, the total retail sales in the United States stood at USD 5.35 trillion in 2018, and this is expected to reach USD 5.99 trillion by 2023, according to the US Department of Commerce. Also, the e-commerce sector is on the rise in both the United States and Canada, and according to StatCan, the e-commerce retail sales in Canada during 2018 stood at CAD 18.04 billion. Such growth is augmenting the demand for ad spending in the region.
- Apart from this, North America is home to one of the largest markets for IoT in both consumer and industrial space. According to GSMA Intelligence, the number of IoT connections in the region in 2018 stood at 2.3 billion, out of which 1.4 billion connections were consumer IoT connections.
The emotion detection and recognition market is competitive owing to the presence of multiple vendors in the market. The market appears to be consolidated due to a few players accounting for the major market share. Moreover, due to higher investment and demand for skilled technicians, market entry for new entrants remains challenging. Some of the key players in the market are Affectiva Inc., Noldus, Realeyes OU, Kairos, among others.
- April 2019 - Affectiva announced the closure of a USD 26 million funding round to advance its emotion and object detection AI for monitoring vehicle passengers. The funding round was led by automotive supplier Aptiv. Affectiva wants its solution to be incorporated into cameras used in car safety systems to recognize when a driver is happy, sad, drowsy, or frustrated.
- Jun 2019 - Realeyes entered into a partnership with Intralink. The company announced an investment of USD 12.4 million for its expansion in Asia. Realeyes announced its expansion plans in Asia, by announcing a partnership with Intralink, which will help develop its international business.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.2.5 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3 Technology Snapshot
- 4.4 Impact of Covid-19 on the Market
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.1.1 Increasing IoT Applications and Adoption of Wearable Devices
- 5.1.2 Increasing need for Advanced Marketing Tools
- 5.2 Market Restraints
- 5.2.1 Data Privacy Concerns and data Regulation Adoption across the World
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By Software and Services
- 6.1.1 Software
- 18.104.22.168 Facial Recognition
- 22.214.171.124 Speech and Voice Recognition
- 126.96.36.199 Bio-sensing
- 6.1.2 Services
- 6.2 By End-user Vertical
- 6.2.1 Government
- 6.2.2 Healthcare
- 6.2.3 Retail
- 6.2.4 Entertainment
- 6.2.5 Transportation
- 6.2.6 Other End-user Verticals
- 6.3 Geography
- 6.3.1 North America
- 6.3.2 Europe
- 6.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 6.3.4 Rest of the World
7 COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE
- 7.1 Company Profiles*
- 7.1.1 Emotibot Technologies Limited
- 7.1.2 iMotions
- 7.1.3 Noldus
- 7.1.4 Sightcorp.
- 7.1.5 Realeyes OU
- 7.1.6 NVISO SA
- 7.1.7 Kairos AR Inc.
- 7.1.8 Nemesysco Ltd
- 7.1.9 audEERING GMBH
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS