Product Code: 52267
The market for desalination systems is expected to register a CAGR of around 10%, during the forecast period. One of the key driving factors of the market is increasing demand from the Middle East & North African region. However, membrane fouling, which occurs due to continuous usage of membranes and decreases the efficiency of the desalination process, is likely to hinder the market growth.
- Lack of water infrastructure in North African countries is also expected to boost the demand for market growth.
- Potential integration of desalination with renewable energy is expected to provide the market with growth opportunities, in the future.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth rate, during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Municipal Application to Dominate the Market
- Municipal applications accounted for the major share of the market globally.
- The global water consumption rate has been rapidly increasing, in recent years, which has created a challenging scenario for the local governments, as they have to provide fresh water for the growing population.
- This has increased the necessity for generating potable water from saltwater resources. Thus, ocean water, which makes up 97% of the global water supply, is increasingly becoming a viable option to generate fresh potable water.
- Countries, like Saudi Arabia, India, and Spain, are spending a significant amount of money on establishing desalination plants, to meet the increasing demand for water.
- Hence, the municipal application is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Witness the Highest Growth Rate
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the fastest-growing market for desalination systems.
- A growing population and rapid urbanization have increased the demand for desalination systems in the region.
- In addition, increase in the demand for water in the domestic sector in drought-affected areas has shifted the attention toward desalinated water, in order to alleviate water shortages, which, in turn, is expected to drive the market for desalination systems.
- Countries, like China and Australia, have witnessed high demand for desalination systems, owing to the increasing water demand from the agricultural and industrial sector.
- India is expected to witness a high demand for desalination systems during the forecast period, owing to factors, like growing population, rapid urbanization, and increase in the demand for water in drought-affected areas, coupled with an increase in government investment in water desalinization.
- Hence, Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth rate during the forecast period.
The desalination system market is highly fragmented, as the market share is divided among several companies. Some of the key players of the market include Veolia, Doosan Heavy Industries, Suez, Fisia Italimpianti S.p.A., and IDE Technologies Limited, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Middle East & North Africa
- 4.1.2 Lack of Existence of Water Infrastructure
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 RO Membrane Fouling
- 4.2.2 Others
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Technology of Separation
- 5.1.1 Thermal Technology
- 184.108.40.206 Multi-stage Flash Distillation (MSF)
- 220.127.116.11 Multi-effect Distillation (MED)
- 18.104.22.168 Vapor Compression Distillation
- 5.1.2 Membrane Technology
- 22.214.171.124 Electrodialysis (ED)
- 126.96.36.199 Electrodialysis Reversal (EDR)
- 188.8.131.52 Reverse Osmosis (RO)
- 184.108.40.206 Other Membrane Technologiess (Nanofiltration, Ultrafiltration, Microfiltration)
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Municipal
- 5.2.2 Industrial
- 5.2.3 Other Applications
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Abengoa
- 6.4.2 ACCIONA
- 6.4.3 Aquatech International LLC
- 6.4.4 Biwater Holdings Limited
- 6.4.5 Cadagua
- 6.4.6 Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction
- 6.4.7 Dow
- 6.4.8 Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
- 6.4.9 Fisia Italimpianti S.p.A.
- 6.4.10 Hyflux Ltd.
- 6.4.11 IDE Technologies.
- 6.4.12 SUEZ
- 6.4.13 Veolia
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Potential Integration of Desalination with Renewable Energy