Product Code: 50464
The market for bio-polylactic acid is expected to register a CAGR of ~20.49% during the forecast period of 2019 - 2024. Major factors driving the market studied are favorable government policies promoting bio-plastics and the growing demand for cellulose-derived fibers in the textile industry. Price competitiveness and availability of cheaper alternatives are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The packaging industry dominated the market in 2018 and is also expected to grow during the forecast period, owing to its usage in fruit and vegetable packaging in the supermarkets, for bread bags and bakery boxes, bottles, envelopes and display carton windows, and shopping or carrier bags, among others.
- The growing production of genetically modified corn and the growing usage of bio-PLA in 3D printing are likely to act as opportunities in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption from countries, such as China and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Packaging Segmented Expected to Dominate the Market
- The packaging industry is one of the largest consumers of bio-PLA. Packaging accounted for over 50% of the global bio-PLA market, in 2018, in terms of revenue.
- The restaurant chains and food processing industries are increasingly adopting biodegradable materials for food packaging.
- Consumer awareness is also rising and rapidly evolving, in terms of food safety, as some plastics are proven carcinogens.
- The demand for bio-PLA in the packaging industry is increasing at a rapid pace in the European and North American regions.
- The increasing intervention of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and related organizations, in terms of food safety, is promoting the usage of bio-degradable and food grade plastics for beverage and snack consumption.
- The growth in the packaging industry in the developing regions, such as Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Middle East, is expected to increase over the forecast period, due to the improving food packaging standards of various food and safety organizations in these regions.
China to Dominate the Market in Asia-Pacific
- The rapid growth of the consumption of bio-polylactic acid in China has been majorly driven by ample developments in the packaging and medical sectors, which are being supported by the growing economy.
- The packaging industry in the country has shown a continuous rise, despite a decline in the pace of growth. The continuous rise in this industry is due to the demand for FMCG goods. Additionally, an increase in demand for eco-friendly packaging has benefitted the packaging sector in China.
- Additionally, China has large potential to grow at a faster rate in the e-commerce packaging market, as internet use in the country continues to expand at a rapid rate.
- Moreover, the demand for ready-to-cook products from the food and beverage industry is supporting the growth of high-quality packaging in the country.
- The demand for bio-polylactic acid is expected to increase in the country, during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, countries such as India and Japan have also been contributing to the growth of the market studied. This is expected to further drive the demand for Bio-PLA market over the forecast period.
The bio-PLA market is consolidated. The major players of the market studied include, NatureWorks LLC, Zhejiang Hisun Biomaterials Co. Ltd, Synbra Technology BV, Futerro, and Sulzer Ltd, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Favorable Government Policies Promoting Bio-plastics
- 4.1.2 Demand for Bio-plastic Packaging
- 4.1.3 Growing Demand for Cellulose Derived Fibers in Textile Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Price Competitiveness and Availability of Cheaper Alternatives
- 4.2.2 Difficulty in Disposal of Bio-PLA
- 4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Technological Snapshot
- 4.5.1 PLA Production Process
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Raw Material
- 5.1.1 Corn
- 5.1.2 Cassava
- 5.1.3 Sugarcane and Sugar Beet
- 5.1.4 Other Raw Materials
- 5.2 Form
- 5.2.1 Fiber
- 5.2.2 Films and Sheets
- 5.2.3 Coatings
- 5.2.4 Other Forms
- 5.3 End-user Industry
- 5.3.1 Packaging
- 5.3.2 Automotive
- 5.3.3 Medical
- 5.3.4 Electronics
- 5.3.5 Agriculture
- 5.3.6 Textile
- 5.3.7 Other End-user Industries
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of North America
- 5.4.3 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
- 126.96.36.199 Italy
- 188.8.131.52 France
- 184.108.40.206 Spain
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
- 5.4.4 South America
- 18.104.22.168 Brazil
- 22.214.171.124 Argentina
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
- 5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
- 184.108.40.206 South Africa
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 BASF SE
- 6.4.2 Bayer AG
- 6.4.3 Corbian NV
- 6.4.4 Danimer Scientific
- 6.4.5 DowDuPont
- 6.4.6 Eastman Chemicals
- 6.4.7 Futerro
- 6.4.8 Henan Jindan Lactic Acid Technology
- 6.4.9 Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- 6.4.10 Natureworks
- 6.4.11 Sulzer AG
- 6.4.12 Synbra Technology BV
- 6.4.13 Teijin Ltd
- 6.4.14 Wei Mon Industry Co. Ltd
- 6.4.15 Weforyou GmbH
- 6.4.16 Zhejiang Hisun Biomaterials Co. Ltd
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Growing Production of Genetically Modified Corn
- 7.2 Growing Usage of Bio-PLA In 3D Printing