Juniper Research is a leading payments strategy expert, providing a comprehensive coverage of the different payment mechanisms including online, mobile, card, and contactless.
This research explores current and planned wallet deployments across both developed and developing markets, analysing the key criteria for success in each case and considering the opportunities that they present for players across the value chain.
- Wallet evolution, key trend and primary challenge assessment.
- Key market case studies and analysis.
- Opportunities assessment for key stakeholder segments.
- Market forecasts for mobile wallet users, usage and revenue opportunities split by 8 key regions, and by 11 national markets.
- 1. How has Apple Pay stimulated the contactless wallet space?
- 2. What are the prospects for retailer and bank-led wallet services?
- 3. Which markets are seeing the strongest growth in mobile wallet adoption?
- 4. What are the primary requirements for mobile wallets in developing markets?
- 5. What is the potential for P2P (Person to Person) services in developed markets?
Case Studies: Safaricom, Alipay, Apple Pay, Softcard, Weve, Venmo.
Companies mentioned: 4T, 7-Eleven, Aditya Birla Nuvo, Air Kenya, Alibaba, Amazon, Amdocs, American Express, AMP Bank, Apple, AT&T, Bank of America, Bank of Scotland, Bank Pekao, Bankinter, Barclaycard, Barclays, BBVA, Best Buy, Bharti Airtel, Bloomingdale's, Braintree, Capital One, Chase Bank, Cholamandalam Distribution Services, Citrus Payments Solutions, CUA, Cumberland Building Society, CVS, Danske Bank, Department of Posts, Disney, EE (Everything Everywhere), Ericsson, eServGlobal, Europay, Eventbrite, Fino PayTech, Gemalto, Getin Bank, Giesecke & Devrient, Google, GSMA, Halifax, HSBC, Idea Cellular, Kenya Airways, La Caixa, Lenddo, Lloyds Banks, Macy's, Mahindra Comviva, MasterCard, MCX (Merchant Customer Exchange) Consortium, Meijer, Mobey Forum, MTN, Naivas Supermarkets, National Securities Depository, NFC Forum, Nokia, NXP, O2, Oberthur, One MobiKwik Systems, One97 Communications, Orange, Oxigen Services, PayPal, Rabobank, Rakuten, RBC, RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Reliance Industries, Reliance Jio, Rite Aid, Safaricom, Safarilink, Samsung, Santander, SAP, Sears, Shri Dilip Shantilal Shanghvi, Shri Vijay Shekhar Sharma, SIMalliance, SimplyTapp, SK Telecom, Softcard, Sony, Square, Staples, Starbucks, StubHub, Target, Tata DOCOMO, Tech Mahindra, Telefonica, Ticketmaster, T-Mobile, TSB, Uchumi Supermarkets, UK Payments Council, UnionPay, Venmo, VeriFone, Verizon, Visa, Visa Europe, Visualead, Vodafone, VUB, Walmart, WeChat, Weve.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper Research's highly granular IFxls (Interactive Forecast Excels) enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions, perform what-if analysis; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability both to understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Forecast suite includes:
- Regional and national adoption figures for mobile wallets, including data on 11 key markets (Canada, China, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, UK and US).
- Regional usage levels, transaction volume and transaction value data.
- Interactive Scenario tool allowing user the ability to manipulate Juniper's data for 3 different metrics.
- Access to the full set of forecast data of more than 1,000 data points.
Table of Contents
1. The Mobile Wallet(R)evolution
- l.1. Introduction
- l.2. What is a Mobile Wallet?
- 1.2.1. Wallet Ecosystem Elements
- i. POS Supplier
- ii. Secure Element Provider
- iii. Trusted Service Manager
- Figure 1.1: Simple NFC Payment Provisioning Architecture
- iv. Payment Network Provider
- v. Personalisation Bureau
- vi. Wallet Developer
- vii. OS Provider
- 1.3. Mobile Wallets for Developing Markets
- l.3.1. Background
- Figure 1.2: Juniper Phased Evolution: Mobile Money
- 1.3.2. Mobile Payments
- i. Case Study: Safaricom
- ii. New Markets
- Figure 1.3: Safaricom M-PESA Revenues (KES bn), Kenya,2008-2015 (FYE March)
- 1.3.3. Micro insurance and Loan Disbursement
- 1.3.4. The eCommerce Wallet
- i. India
- Figure 1.4: Selected Indian Mobile Wallet Adoption
- ii. China
- iii. Case Study: Allpay
- 1.4. Mobile Wallets for Developed Markets
- 1.4.1. Beyond Remote Payments: Enabling Proximity Payments
- 1.4.2. Monetising the Ecosystems: Contactless Business Models
- i. Single Player' Consortia
- ii. Case Study: Apple Pay
- iii. 2 Party Consortia
- iv. MNO-led Consortia
- v. Case Study: Softcard
- vi. MNO Example: Weve
- 1.4.3. The Banking Opportunity
- i. Simplifying P2P Payment: Paym
- ii. Contactless Revived: Re-energising NFC through HCE
- 1.4.4. The Retailer Opportunity
- i. Single Retailer Wallets: Starbucks
- ii. Retailer Consortia: MCX
- 1.4.5. P2P in Developed Markets
2. Methodology & Assumptions
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. Methodology
- Figure 2.1:Juniper Mobile Wallets Methodology
3. Mobile Wallet Forecasts
- 3.1. Global Mobile Device Forecasts
- Figure & Table 3.1: Mobile Handset Installed Base (m)Split by8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 3.2. Mobile Wallet User Base
- Figure & Table 3.2: Proportion of Mobile Handsets with Active Mobile Wallets (% Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- Figure & Table 3.3: Mobile Wallets in Use (m)Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- 3.2.1. Wallets With Contactless Capability
- Figure & Table 3.4: Proportion of Wallets with Contactless Payment Functionality (%)Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- Figure & Table 3.5: Mobile Wallets with Contactless Capability (m)Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- 3.3. Mobile Wallet Transaction Volumes
- Figure 3.6: Average Annual Transactions Per Mobile Wallet Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- Figure & Table 3.7: Mobile Wallet Transaction Volumes (m)Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 3.4. Mobile Wallet Transaction Values
- 3.4.1. Average Transaction Values
- Table 3.8: Average Transaction Value ($), By Selected Transaction Type & Region, 2015
- Table 3.9: Average Mobile Wallet Transaction Value (m)Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 3.4.2. Total Transaction Values
- Figure & Table 3.10: Total Mobile Wallet Transaction Values Per Annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020