Product Code: 1227
Questions Covered in the report:
- How does Singapore compare to other markets in Southeast Asia in criteria related to B2C E-Commerce?
- How large is the online retail market in Singapore and what are its current trends?
- Which payment method is most used by online shoppers in this country?
- What product categories are leading in online retail in Singapore?
- Which local and international E-Commerce players are prominent?
Singapore Likely to Concede Its Rank as the Leading B2c E-commerce Market in Southeast Asia
Singapore has the most advanced infrastructure in Southeast Asia. Its transport and payment systems are well developed, Internet penetration is high and its overall business environment is considered to be the best in the world. Due to these factors and the fact that consumers in Singapore are lured by convenience of online shopping, Singapore ranked highest in Southeast Asia in B2C E-Commerce sales two years ago, despite the comparatively small population of only 5.5 million.
The online retail market in Singapore is considered to be relatively advanced, with online shopper penetration of over 50% of Internet users and the online share of total retail being the highest in its sub-region. While more vastly populated neighbors only start to develop B2C E-Commerce capabilities and thus are likely to see rapid growth rates in the next few years, Singapore is projected to lose its leading position in B2C E-Commerce sales volume to other countries in Southeast Asia, such as Indonesia.
Some important online retail trends in Singapore include cross-border online shopping and the evolution of omnichannel retail. Around two thirds of online shoppers in Singapore made cross-border purchases at least once per year, as of early 2015. Foreign merchants such as Amazon.com, eBay.com and Alibaba Group's marketplaces are among the most visited E-Commerce websites in Singapore. Omnichannel retail is also gaining importance, as consumers increasingly use mobile devices to shop, research products online and buy them in-store or do it the other way around. The latter trend encouraged Singapore-based online clothing retailer Zalora to open a pop-up store in October 2014.
Other prominent players include Giosis, which operates online marketplace Qoo10, the most popular online shopping destination in Singapore, as of July 2015. Giosis raised a multi-million dollar investment in the summer of 2015 and so did online grocery retailer RedMart. Meanwhile, Singapore Post received investment from Alibaba Group and continued to expand its E-Commerce capabilities.
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Overview & International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Overview and International Comparisons, August 2015
- Share of Respondents who Made at Least One Purchase Online in the Previous Three Months in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Singapore, in %, Q4 2014
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Singapore, in % of Respondents, 2012 - 2014
- Number of Internet Users in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Singapore, in millions, 2013 - 2018f
- Internet Penetration on the Population in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Singapore, in %, 2013 - 2018f
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Countries, incl. Singapore, April 2015
- Internet Penetration in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Singapore, in % of Population, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Singapore, in %, 2013
- Devices Most Used for Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Singapore, Compared to Global Average, in % of Online Shoppers, Q1 2014
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase in Southeast Asia, by Device Used, in % of Online Shoppers, by Country, incl. Singapore, 2014/Q1 2015
- Activities Carried Out on Smartphones at Least Weekly in Southeast Asia, incl. Purchase, by Country, incl. Singapore, in % of Smartphone Users, 2014/Q1 2015
- Top 3 Drivers of Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Countries, incl. Singapore, Q1 2014
- Share of Internet Users Who Do Not Trust to Provide Credit Card Information Online in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Singapore, Compared to Global Average, in % of Internet Users, Q1 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Trends Overview, August 2015
- Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users, 2014e
- Breakdown of Online Shopping Transactions, by Device, in %, H2 2014 & 2015f
- Products Purchased Online Cross-Border, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Reasons to Purchase Online from a Foreign Country, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, April 2015
- Breakdown of Likelihood of Promoting a Brand/Product on Social Media When Satisfied with the Purchase, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2014
4. Sales & Shares
- E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2010 & 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Sales of Goods, in SGD million, 2013 & 2018f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in % and in USD billion, 2013
- Breakdown of Monthly Household Expenditure, by Online and Offline, by All Households and Households which Shop Online, in %, 2012/2013
5. Users & Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Households, 2010 - 2014
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, and in % Penetration, 2013 - 2018f
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2009 - 2013
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, by Age Group, 2012 & 2013
- Breakdown of Annual Spending on Online Purchases, in % of Online Shoppers, 2011 - 2013
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, 2012 & 2013
- Top Two Physical Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, September 2014
- Breakdown of Monthly Household Online Expenditure, by Product Category, in %, 2012/2013
- Online Share of Average Monthly Household Expenditure, by Product Category, in %, 2012/2013
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by Age Group and Total, 2013
- Share of Online Shoppers Who Believe that Free Shipping is Critical in Online Purchase Decision, in %, October 2014
- Actions Taken to Qualify for Free Shipping, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2014
- E-Commerce Player Overview, August 2015
- Top 10 Local E-Commerce Websites, by Website Rank, incl. Website Visits, Time Spent on Website, Page Views and Bounce Rate, July 2015
- Alibaba Group
- NTUC Fair Price
- Singapore Post