Product Code: 1223
Countries Covered: Thailand.
Questions Covered in the report:
- What is the current status and outlook for the B2C E-Commerce market in Thailand?
- How does Thailand compare to other countries in its region and to emerging online retail markets worldwide?
- What are some of the important trends in B2C E-Commerce in Thailand?
- Who are the major E-Commerce competitors in Thailand?
Mobile, social and cross-border commerce driving online retail in Thailand
As B2C E-Commerce in Thailand accounts for less than 1% of total retail sales in the country, online retailing there still has a long way to grow. Thailand's Internet penetration of less than a quarter of the population, below that of four out of six major markets in Southeast Asia, indicates that there is significant room for growth in numbers of Internet users and online shoppers. Along with an increase in Internet penetration, strengthening trust in online payments and quicker and more convenient delivery options could also spur B2C E-Commerce growth in Thailand. Some primary sources suggest that Thailand has the potential to become the second largest B2C E-Commerce market in Southeast Asia, behind Indonesia.
Thailand was one of the leaders in Asia-Pacific in mobile shopper penetration in 2014 and was ahead of most other countries in Southeast Asia by share of digital buyers making online purchases cross-border. One further important trend is social commerce. With around 30 million users in Thailand, Facebook is a leading channel to research product information prior to an online purchase and to share experiences after the purchase.
The competition landscape on the E-Commerce market in Thailand includes regional and global players, as well as store-based retailers. Among local websites, the most visited were Southeast Asian online retailer and marketplace Lazada and online classifieds website Kaidee which recently joined forces with OLX. International marketplaces, such as Aliexpress.com, are also popular online shopping destinations for consumers in Thailand. An emerging player is Japan-based messenger LINE, which planned to launch an online grocery delivery service in Thailand to compete with that of store-based retailers such as Tesco Lotus.
- Big C
- CP Fresh Mart
- Groupe Casino
- Tesco Lotus
- Tops Supermarket
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Overview and International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Overview and International Comparisons, August 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration, by Selected Emerging Markets, incl. Thailand, in % of Adult Internet Users, May 2014
- Share of Respondents who Made at Least One Purchase Online in the Previous Three Months in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Thailand, in %, Q4 2014
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries and Territories, incl. Thailand, in % of Respondents, 2012 – 2014
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Countries, incl. Thailand, April 2015
- Internet Penetration in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Thailand, in % of Population, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Thailand, in %, 2013
- Devices Most Used for Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Thailand, Compared to Global Average, in % of Online Shoppers, Q1 2014
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase in Southeast Asia, by Device Used, in % of Online Shoppers, by Country, incl. Thailand, 2014/Q1 2015
- Activities Carried Out on Smartphones at Least Weekly in Southeast Asia, incl. Purchase, by Country, incl. Thailand, in % of Smartphone Users, 2014/Q1 2015
- Top 3 Drivers of Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Countries, incl. Thailand, Q1 2014
- Share of Internet Users Who Do Not Trust to Provide Credit Card Information Online in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Thailand, Compared to Global Average, in % of Internet Users, Q1 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Trends Overview, August 2015
- Devices Used to Access the Internet, in % of Internet Users, and in Average Time Spent Online, by Device Type, in Hours Per Day, May 2015
- Activities Carried Out Online via Mobile Devices, incl. Buying and Selling Goods and Services, by Gender and Generation, in % of Mobile Internet Users, May 2015
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2018f
- Breakdown of Devices Used for Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, June 2014
- Mobile Shopping App Penetration, in % of Smartphone App Users, Q1 2014 & Q1 2015
- Channels Used to Research Information about Products before Purchase, in % of Mobile Shoppers, January 2015
4. Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, 2013 & 2018f
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Sales, by B2C, B2B and B2G, in % and in THB billion, 2012 & 2014
- B2C E-Commerce and Mail Order Sales, in THB million and in % of Total Retail Sales, Q1 2013 – Q4 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2013 & 2020f
5. Internet Users & Online Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 – 2014
- Internet Penetration by Gender and Age Group, in % of Individuals in the Relevant Group, 2010 - 2014
- Activities Carried Out Online, incl. Purchase of Goods and Services, in % of Internet Users, 2014
- Breakdown of Internet Users, by Age Group and Gender, in %, 2014
- Activities Carried Out Online, incl. Buying and Selling Goods and Services, by Gender and Generation, in % of Internet Users, May 2015
- Factors That Influence the Decision to Buy Online, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2015
- Breakdown of Reasons for Not Buying Online, in % of Internet Users Who Did Not Buy Online, 2014
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2015
- Breakdown of Spending on Online Purchase, by Product Category, in % of Online Shoppers Who Purchased From This Category, May 2015
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2015
- Value and Volume of Online Payment, in THB billion and in millions, by Bank, Non-Bank and Total, 2010 – 2014
- Value and Volume of Mobile Payment, in THB billion and in millions, by Bank, Non-Bank and Total, 2010 - 2014
- Delivery Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2015
- E-Commerce Player Overview, August 2015
- Top 10 Local E-Commerce Websites, by Website Rank, incl. Website Visits, Time Spent on Website, Page Views and Bounce Rate, July 2015