Product Code: 1225
Online Retail Is Gaining Momentum in Vietnam
Although Vietnam was ranked as the smallest B2C E-Commerce market in Southeast Asia in terms of sales two year ago, online retail is gaining momentum there. Growing Internet and online shopper penetration, as well as increasing online spending per shopper, are driving up online retail sales in Vietnam. In the next five years, the Vietnamese B2C E-Commerce market is expected to experience strong double-digit growth rates. Improvement in the two important infrastructure factors, payment and delivery, could give a further boost to B2C E-Commerce in Vietnam. Last year, close to two thirds of E-Commerce websites in Vietnam received complaints from online shoppers regarding delivery times. Furthermore, nearly half of Internet users who do not yet shop online admitted to not having a credit card to pay in online stores, while cash on delivery was by far the leading payment method among current online shoppers.
Social commerce is one of the most important trends in the online shopping market in Vietnam. Close to 90% of online buyers of fashion products made at least one online purchase from this category via Facebook. The shopping orders of items displayed via this social network are accepted via Facebook messages and phone calls, and paid for mostly by cash on delivery. With smartphone ownership increasing, M-Commerce is also becoming a trend. In 2014, a popular online shopping portal in Vietnam, Sendo.vn, received funding from Japanese investors in order to launch a smartphone shopping website.
Other leading players on the emerging online shopping market in Vietnam include online retailer and marketplace Lazada.vn, Vatgia.com's marketplace, online classifieds websites such as 5giay.vn and Chotot.vn, and electronics merchant Mobile World JSC with its online store Thegioididong.com. As B2C E-Commerce in Vietnam grows, more companies, including local and foreign players, are entering the market and rivalry is intensifying.
Questions Covered in the report:
- How high are sales generated in the B2C E-Commerce market in Vietnam?
- How fast is online retail in Vietnam predicted to grow?
- What are the product categories most purchased by online shoppers in Vietnam?
- Which online retail trends are prominent in Vietnam?
- How does Vietnam rank among other countries by criteria related to online retail?
Countries Covered: Vietnam
- Big C Supercenter
- Mobile World JSC
- Nguyen Kim Trading JSC
- Vien Thong A Import Export Trading Production Corp
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. Management Summary
2. Overview and International Comparisons
- B2C E-Commerce Overview and International Comparisons, August 2015
- Online Shopper Penetration, by Selected Emerging Markets, incl. Vietnam, in % of Adult Internet Users, May 2014
- Share of Households Buying FMCG Products Online at Least Once in 2014, by Selected Countries Worldwide, incl. Vietnam, in %, 2014
- Number of Internet Users in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in millions, 2013 - 2018f
- Internet Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in % of Population, 2013 - 2018f
- Share of Respondents who Made at Least One Purchase Online in the Previous Three Months in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Vietnam, in %, Q4 2014
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Selected Countries, incl. Vietnam, in % of Respondents, 2012 - 2014
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Countries, April 2015
- Internet Penetration in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in % of Population, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in %, 2013
- Devices Most Used for Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, Compared to Global Average, in % of Online Shoppers, Q1 2014
- Breakdown of the Last Online Purchase in Southeast Asia, by Device Used, in % of Online Shoppers, by Country, incl. Vietnam, 2014/Q1 2015
- Activities Carried Out on Smartphones at Least Weekly in Southeast Asia, incl. Purchase, by Country, incl. Vietnam, in % of Smartphone Users, 2014/Q1 2015
- Top 3 Drivers of Online Shopping in Southeast Asia, by Countries, incl. Vietnam, Q1 2014
- Share of Internet Users Who Do Not Trust to Provide Credit Card Information Online in Southeast Asia, by Country, incl. Vietnam, Compared to Global Average, in % of Internet Users, Q1 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Trends Overview, August 2015
- Devices Used, incl. Mobile, in % of Respondents, April 2015
- M-Commerce Share of Total B2C E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2018f
- Breakdown of Frequency of Online Shopping via Smartphone, in % of Smartphone Users, November 2014
- Share of Online Buyers of Fashion Products who Ordered Fashion Products Online via Facebook Pages, in %, December 2014
- Product Categories Purchased Online via Facebook, in % Online Shoppers Who Purchase On Facebook, December 2014
- Payment Methods Used When Purchasing Items on Facebook, by Age Group, in % Online Shoppers Who Purchase on Facebook, December 2014
- Online/Offline Purchase Behavior after Online/Offline Research, in % of Internet Users,
- 2014/April 2015
4. Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2013 & 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD million, 2013 & 2018f
5. Users and Shoppers
- Internet Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2010 – 2014
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, and in % Penetration, 2013 – 2018f
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2013 & 2014
- Product Categories Purchased Online, in % Online Shoppers, 2013 & 2014
- Online Share of Total Modern Retail Sales of Grocery, in %, 2013 & 2014
- Payment Methods Used in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2013 & 2014
- Factors Considered in Online Shopping, incl. Payment, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014
- Complaints Received by E-Commerce Websites, incl. Delivery, in % of E-Commerce Websites, 2014
- E-Commerce Player Overview, August 2015
- Most Often Visited E-Commerce Websites, in % of Respondents, 2014
- Websites Most Often Used for Online Shopping, in % of University Students Who Shop Online, February 2015
- E-Commerce Websites Used to Purchase Fashion Products from, in % of Online Shoppers who Purchased Fashion Products, by Age Group, December 2014
- Top 10 E-Commerce Websites by Visits, by Website Rank, August 2015
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Marketplaces, by Market Share, in %, 2014