Product Code: 1229
Countries Covered: India.
Questions Covered in the report:
- How large is the B2C E-Commerce market in India and how fast is it projected to grow?
- What are the main growth drivers and challenges for B2C E-Commerce in India?
- Which online retail trends are prominent in this country?
- Who are the main E-Commerce competitors in India?
- How does the B2C E-Commerce market in India compare to other major markets in Asia-Pacific and worldwide?
India to Be the Fastest Growing B2C E-Commerce Market in the BRIC Countries
B2C E-Commerce in India is driven by its vast population, increasing Internet penetration and scarcity of organized retail especially in small towns and rural areas. Next year, India is predicted to top the USA to become the second largest country worldwide in terms of the number of Internet users, behind China. While China has been the leader among the BRIC markets in terms of online retail growth in the five years to 2014, during the next five-year period India is predicted to take over this position.
Online retail in India has much room for growth. B2C E-Commerce share of total retail sales was estimated at less than 1% in 2014, while the share of Internet users making purchases online was below one quarter. Another sign of immaturity is the high share of online travel in total E-Commerce sales, reaching close to two-thirds according to some estimates. Furthermore, Internet penetration on the 1.3 billion population in India was relatively low in 2014, although showing an improvement from a one-digit figure in 2010. The spread of mobile Internet is expected to especially benefit the state of connectivity in this country, while also driving M-Commerce sales up.
Apart from low Internet penetration, some major challenges faced by B2C E-Commerce in India include underdeveloped logistics infrastructure and low credit card penetration. Online merchants' profitability suffers from the necessity of accepting cash on delivery and offering free shipping. The top three E-Commerce companies in the country, Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon India develop their own logistics capabilities using recently obtained investment. Other E-Commerce players that benefited from investment pouring into the Indian market include marketplace operator ShopClues, online classifieds website Quikr and online accommodation booking website Oyo Rooms.
- Ecom Express
- Urban Ladder
- Oyo Rooms
- Zomato Media
For individual Market Report purchases:
- 1. A “Single User License” means that only one (1) individually named user of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 2. A “Site License” means that up to ten (10) users within a given geographical location (i.e. country) of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
- 3. A “Global Site License” means that up to ten (10) worldwide users of an organization shall be entitled to access the report
In all cases, the term “organization” refers to the purchaser's specific company only and excludes any third parties, including affiliates. All purchases are bound by yStats.com GmbH & Co. KG official terms & Conditions.
Table of Contents
1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY
2. OVERVIEW AND INTERNATIONAL COMPARISONS
- B2C E-Commerce Overview and International Comparisons, September 2015
- Top 10 Countries Worldwide by Number of Internet Users, incl. India, in millions, 2013 - 2018f
- Top 10 Countries Worldwide by Number of Smartphone Users, incl. India, in millions, 2013 - 2018f
- Online Shopper Penetration, by Selected Emerging Markets, incl. India, in % of Adult Internet Users, May 2014
- Leading Activities in Terms of Times Spent Online, in % of Internet Users who Use the Internet at Least Once a Week, by Selected Countries, incl. India, July 2014
- Online Shopping Destinations, in % of Internet Users Who Use the Internet at Least Once a Week, by Selected Countries, incl. India, July 2014
- Product Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, by Selected Countries, incl. India, July 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, by Selected Countries in Asia-Pacific and BRIC, incl. India, in USD billion, 2009, 2014 & 2019f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, by Selected Countries in Asia-Pacific and BRIC, incl. India, in %, 2013 - 2018f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales in BRIC, by Country, incl. India, in %, 2014 & 2019f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales CAGR in BRIC, by Country, incl. India, in %, 2009-2014 and 2014-2019f
- Internet Penetration in BRIC, by Country, incl. India, in % of Population, 2014
- Internet Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. India, in % of Population, 2013 - 2018f
- Share of Respondents who Made at Least One Purchase Online in the Previous Three Months in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. India, in %, Q4 2014
- Mobile Shopper Penetration in Asia-Pacific, by Country, incl. India, in % of Respondents, 2012 - 2014
- Breakdown of Frequency of Cross-Border Online Shopping in Asia-Pacific, in % of Online Shoppers, by Country, incl. India, April 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Trends Overview, September 2015
- Breakdown of Most Used Online Shopping Platforms, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2015
- Mobile Shopper Penetration, in % of Urban Online Shoppers, 2012 & 2014
- M-Commerce Share of Total E-Commerce Sales, in %, 2014e & 2017f
- Services Used on Smartphones Weekly, by Currently Used and Planned, in % of Urban Smartphone Mobile Internet Users, May 2015
- Usage of Digital Devices and Social Media Before, During and After Purchase, in % of Urban Consumers, February 2015
- Breakdown of Likelihood of Following a Brand on Social Media, in % of Urban Internet Users, March 2015
- Most Popular Countries in Cross-Border B2C E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2014
4. SALES & SHARES
- Historic B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, by Comparative Estimates, 2009 - 2014
- Forecasts of B2C E-Commerce Sales excl. Travel, in USD billion, by Comparative Estimates, 2014 - 2020f
- Forecasts of E-Commerce Sales incl. Travel, in USD billion, by Comparative Estimates, 2014 - 2019f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, by Comparative Estimates, 2013 - 2020f
- Breakdown of the Impact of Internet Economy on GDP, by Sectors, incl. E-Commerce Products and Services, in USD billion, and in % CAGR, 2013 & 2018f
- Breakdown of Internet Market by Sectors, incl. E-Commerce and Online Travel, in USD billion, 2013 & 2020f
5. USERS & SHOPPERS
- Internet Penetration, in % of Population, 2010 - 2014
- Number of Internet Users, in millions, and in % Penetration, 2013 - 2018f
- Profile of Internet Users, incl. Share of Young Users, Share of Rural Users, Gender and Mobile Share, 2013 & 2018f
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2014 & 2018f
- Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, 2014 & 2015f
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Sales, by Segment, in % and in INR billion, 2014
- Breakdown of Online Retail Segment Sales, by Product Categories, in % and in INR billion, 2014
- Breakdown of Product Categories Most Purchased Online, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2015
- Breakdown of Preferred Payment Methods in Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2014
- Payment Methods Used in B2C E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2014
- Breakdown of Major Factors Which Encourage Online Shopping, incl. Payment, in % of Online Shoppers, December 2014
- B2C E-Commerce Delivery Overview, September 2015
- Reasons to Choose an Online Shopping Brand, incl. Delivery, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2015
- B2C E-Commerce Player Overview, September 2015
- Breakdown of the Preferred E-Commerce Brands, by First Choice and Second Choice, in % of Online Shoppers, August 2015
- Top 3 E-Commerce Websites, by Unique Visitors, in millions, May 2014 & May 2015
- Top 10 Local E-Commerce Websites, by Website Rank, incl. Website Visits, Time Spent on Website, Page Views and Bounce Rate, August 2015
- Overview of Largest Investment Deals in E-Commerce Sector, January 2015 - August 2015
- Top 20 Private Equity Deals in E-Commerce Sector, 2014