Embedded software engineering and enterprise/IT software development teams alike are facing mounting challenges
as their code bases increase in size and complexity, incorporate more third-party code, and must adhere to more
process standards. Interest in the IoT and concern about software security vulnerabilities is driving a convergence
in development practices and concerns. This report analyzes the emerging trends for commercially available testing
tools, including static analysis, dynamic, and model-based tools. It also covers the previously mentioned tool types
used for general software quality testing and defect detection, as well as those used for application security testing
and vulnerability management. Market dynamics are discussed in the context of leading vendors, current technologies,
competitive landscape, and data from VDC's 2016 Software and System Development Survey.
What questions are addressed?
- What are the leading commercial test tool adoption drivers and inhibitors?
- In what ways is the Internet of Things (IoT) driving convergence, and what impact does this have on the test tool market?
- How large is the market for security testing tools, and how fast is it growing?
- What factors are impacting demand for automated software and security testing tools across the vertical markets?
- In what way does competition from low or no-cost alternatives impact the commercial test tool market?
- Which vendors are best positioned to support the evolving preferences of software development teams?
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Inside This Report
- Executive Summary
- Global Market Overview
- Comparative Forecast by Vertical Markets
- Competitive Landscape by Technology
- End User Insights
- Additional Exhibits
- Scope/Methodology - Automated Software and Security Testing Tools
- About VDC Research
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Global Software and Security Testing Tools Forecast by Market
- Exhibit 2: Worldwide Shipments of Software and Security Testing Tools and Related Services
- Exhibit 3: Global Static Analysis Forecast by Market
- Exhibit 4: Static Analysis Tools Use Rates by Market
- Exhibit 5: Global Dynamic and Model-Based Test Tools Forecast by Market
- Exhibit 6: Dynamic and Model-Based Software Testing Tools Use Rates by Market
- Exhibit 7: Global Security-Focused Static Analysis Forecast by Market
- Exhibit 8: Proportion of Static Analysis Revenue With a Security Focus by Market
- Exhibit 9: Vertical Market Share & Forecast: Embedded Static Analysis Tools
- Exhibit 10: Vertical Market Share & Forecast: Embedded Dynamic and Model-based Test Tools
- Exhibit 11: Embedded Static Analysis Tools 2015 Market Share
- Exhibit 12: Embedded Dynamic & Model-Based Test Tools 2015 Market Share
- Exhibit 13: Enterprise/IT Static Analysis Tools 2015 Market Share
- Exhibit 14: Enterprise/IT Dynamic & Model-Based Test Tools 2015 Market Share
- Exhibit 15: Percent of Total Software Code in Final Design of Current Project by Origin
- Exhibit 16: Percent of In-House Developed Software Code for Project by Origin
- Exhibit 18: Actions Organization Has Taken in Response to Security Requirements, by Domain
- Exhibit 19: Use Rate of Selected Test Tool Types and Expected Future Use in 3 Years, by Domain
- Additional Exhibit 1: Americas Market Software and Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type
- Additional Exhibit 2: EMEA Market Software and Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type
- Additional Exhibit 3: APAC Market Software and Security Testing Tools Forecast, by Tool Type