Escalating system complexity is fueling the use of software modeling tools and encouraging adoption of model-based
system engineering (MBSE) practices. This report analyzes the emerging trends for commercially available standardlanguage
based modeling (SLBM) tools and proprietary language-based modeling (PLBM) tools, such as LabVIEW,
SCADE, Simulink, and others. It updates industry acceptance of software code generated automatically by modeling tools.
The analysis also includes assessing the drivers and market impacts from the rapid expansion of HMI design tool use and
emerging interest in digital twin technologies. Market dynamics are discussed in the context of leading vendors, current
technologies, competitive landscape, and data from VDC's 2016 Software and System Development Survey.
WHAT QUESTIONS ARE ADDRESSED?
- What are the leading drivers and inhibitors for commercial modeling tool adoption?
- How can vendors support companies transitioning to model-based system engineering?
- Which type of information do engineers seek when evaluating modeling tools?
- How does demand for software modeling tools differ by vertical market?
- Which market trends are impacting tooling opportunities in the APAC region?
- In what way is the consumer electronics industry influencing customer expectations in automotive?
- What applications are driving sales of standard-language based modeling tools?
WHO SHOULD READ THIS REPORT?
This research program is written for those making critical business decisions regarding product, market, channel, and competitive strategy and tactics. This report is intended for senior decision-makers who are developing embedded technology, including those in the following roles:
- CEO and other C-suite executives
- Corporate development and M&A teams
- Marketing executives
- Business development and sales leaders
- Product development and product strategy leaders
- Channel management and channel strategy leaders
VENDORS LISTED IN THIS REPORT
- Elektrobit Corporation (Continental)
- National Instruments
- No Magic
- Sparx Systems
- Vector Informatik
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Inside This Report
- Executive Summary
- Global Market Overview
- Regional Forecasts
- Comparative Forecast by Vertical Markets
- Competitive Landscape by Technology
- End User Insights
- About VDC Research
LIST OF EXHIBITS
- Exhibit 1: Global Software and System Modeling Tools Forecast by Type
- Exhibit 2: Worldwide Shipments of Software and System Modeling Tools and Related Services, by Type
- Exhibit 3: Americas Market SSMT Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 4: EMEA Market SSMT Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 5: APAC Market SSMT Forecast, by Tool Type
- Exhibit 6: Vertical Market Share Forecast: Total Embedded Modeling Tools
- Exhibit 7: Vertical Market Share Forecast: Embedded Proprietary Language-Based Modeling Tools
- Exhibit 8: Vertical Market Share Forecast: Embedded Standard Language-Based Modeling Tools
- Exhibit 9: Embedded Standard Language-Based Modeling Tools 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 10: Embedded Proprietary Language-Based Modeling Tools 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 11: Enterprise Standard Language-Based Modeling Tools 2016 Market Share
- Exhibit 12: Purchasing Decision Maker for SLBM Tools, by Market
- Exhibit 13: Purchasing Decision Maker for PLBM Tools, by Market
- Exhibit 14: Most Important Factors in the Selection of Modeling Tools
- Exhibit 15: Influence on SSLM Strategy Decisions for Modeling Tool Users
- Exhibit 16: Importance of Information Source on SSLM Strategy Decisions by Modeling Tool Users