Inside this Report
This report provides insights and analyses regarding the types and number of
devices shipping and expected to ship with the Android OS as well as the size
and composition of the software development community working with the
platform. Additionally, it covers emerging trends for Android OS solutions
used in embedded and M2M systems.
What questions are addressed?
- In what new application classes will Android gain traction the coming year?
- What influence will the virtualization competitive landscape have on OEMs'
use of Android?
- Which hardware and software vendors, as well as other ecosystem
participants will benefit the most from Android's expansion within
- How will changing requirements and attitudes about security impact
Android's growth in traditional embedded and emerging M2M verticals?
- What role will the application developer community have in extending
Android to new device classes?
Who should read this report?
This report is for those making critical decisions within embedded and M2M
technology vendor companies regarding product, market, channel, and
competitive strategy and tactics. Roles that will benefit from reading this
report include product management, marketing and strategy executives at OEMs,
OS vendors, tools suppliers, investment firms, and associated roles and
- OEM in traditional embedded verticals will turn to Android due to the platform's robust user-interface (UI) capabilities, integrated connectivity, and royalty-free licensing model.
- The evolution of embedded processor technologies will drive additional Android deployments, as improvements to performance and power consumption combined with lower price points will enable a much wider range of device classes to support robust operating systems such as Android.
- The developer community will be instrumental in bringing Android to new device classes, particularly as developers expand their expertise and are able to efficiently develop applications for industry-specific devices.
- As a growing number of engineering organizations consider Android for their next-generation intelligent devices, one key concern, security, will continue to temper enthusiasm. A robust ecosystem will emerge, however, to help mitigate these concerns and make Android appropriate for ever-more secure applications.
Table of Contents
Global Market Overview and Forecast
- Global Market at a Glance
- Worldwide shipments of Android-based devices; 2012-2015 (Millions of
- Worldwide Android developer and engineer community; 2012-2015 (Thousands
- Global Market Ideas & Insights
- Three-Year Forecast
- Recent Developments
- Competitive Landscape
Comparative Forecast by Device Class
- Forecast at a Glance
- Worldwide shipments of Android-based devices, segmented by device class
- Ideas & Insights
- Smartphones and tablets
- Medical devices
- Connected car systems
- Situational awareness systems
- Ecosystem Participants Insights
- Ecosystem Overview
- Electric Cloud
- Imagination Technologies
- Mentor Graphics
- Wind River
End-User Trends and Insights
- Developer Community to Drive Android Adoption
- At a Glance
- Respondents' rating of importance of ecosystem participants in bringing
Android to new device classes
- Android Software Solutions Must Improve
- At a Glance
- Respondents' opinion of the overall capabilities and maturity of
available software solutions in enabling the development of Android-based