Product Code: QC-20
Quantum computing is the utilization of the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations and solve problems. Using the unique phenomena of individual subatomic particles as compute elements, quantum computers have the potential to quickly solve problems that are impossible to calculate in timeframes that are useful to humans and eventually solve problems that classical computers cannot.
Omdia's research indicates that an increasing number of enterprises are experimenting with quantum computers. However, most of the revenue being generated is not through traditional hardware sales, but via services, such as general consulting services that are provided by vendors, professional services firms, and third-party industry consultants or via cloud-based access to quantum computers. Omdia projects that total quantum computing market revenue, including hardware, software, storage, and services, will reach $3.6bn annually by 2030. Services is expected to account for $2.5bn in annual revenue in 2030, followed by software, storage, and hardware.
This Omdia report examines the market trends and technology issues surrounding quantum computers used by enterprise organizations. It highlights quantum computing use cases within industry groups that are projected to increasingly experiment with and use quantum processing (healthcare, life sciences, finance, investment, and IT). Global market forecasts for quantum-related hardware, software, storage, and services revenue, segmented by region, product type, industry, and use case, extend through 2030.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is quantum computing?
- Which industries are using quantum computing today, and which ones will use it in the future?
- What are some likely quantum computing use cases?
- Which industries will generate the most quantum computing revenue in the enterprise market through 2030?
- What are the key challenges impeding quantum computing technology and market development?
- What types of companies are involved in the development of quantum computing?
- What is the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the quantum computing market?
- What has changed since the previous iteration of this report?
Who Needs This Report?
- Quantum computing hardware vendors
- Quantum computing software/middleware/algorithm developers
- High performance computing/supercomputing companies
- Professional services firms
Table of Contents
- Omdia view
- Key messages
- Recommendations for enterprises
- Recommendations for vendors
- Slow but steady technological advancements
- Google's Quantum Supremacy Achievement
- Simulating chemical reactions
- Coherence time improvements
- Growing partnerships between researchers, vendors, and enterprises
- Continuing investment from national and regional governments
- National security and desire to occupy a position of
- technology leadership driving investment
- Quantum computing defined
- Primary technological approaches to quantum computing
- Universal quantum computers
- Quantum annealers
- Quantum emulators
- Key elements of a quantum computer
- Superconducting qubits
- Topological qubits
- Trapped ions
- Photonic qubits
- Quantum gates
- Superposition and entanglement
- Major technological challenges faced by researchers and vendors
- Temperature management
- Noise and error management
- Key benchmarking techniques
- Technological milestones and projected timelines for Achievement
- Rise of cloud-based access to quantum computing hardware
- and software
- Development achievements vs. plateaus
- Use case development challenges
- Potential regulatory issues
- Hype vs. reality
Commercial deployment in vertical markets
- Key market participants
- Technology stalwarts
- Notable startups
- Ancillary and supporting players
Key industries and applications
- Illness detection
- Patient flow optimization
- Emergency services coordination
- Secure communications
- Life sciences
- Drug discovery
- Gene editing
- Disease research
- Disease outbreak management
- Credit risk scoring
- ATM cash replenishment
- Portfolio optimization
- Risk tolerance analysis
- Financial simulations
- Trading optimization
- Information technology
- Scheduling resources and management
- Network optimization
- Network security and encryption
- Quantum network development
- Total enterprise quantum computing revenue by region
- Total enterprise quantum computing revenue by product type
- Total enterprise quantum computing revenue by industry
- Enterprise quantum computing software revenue by industry
- Enterprise quantum computing services revenue by industry
- Enterprise quantum computing software revenue by use case
- Forecast adjustments
- Adjustment 1: Internal model changes
- Adjustment 2: Changing structure of the quantum computing market
- Adjustment 3: Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic