Teal Group's ‘World Civil Unmanned Aerial Systems Market Profile & Forecast 2020/2021’ annual sector study, authored by Phil Finnegan focuses on lucrative business opportunities in the emerging civil government and commercial UAS market.
- 10-Year Market Forecasts - Covering the overall market as well as segments of the business such as construction, agriculture, communications, energy, aircraft and railway inspection, aerial photography, entertainment and insurance. It also covers the civil government market including homeland security and law enforcement.
- Covid-19 Pandemic Impact - Analysis of the sweeping changes in the drone market and industry due to the pandemic.
- Expert Analysis - A cogent outlook and rationale for what will be hot over the next decade.
- Venture Capital - Analysis of the involvement of venture capital, firms attracting funds and ways investment is transforming the market.
- Regulations - Differences in worldwide regulations for civil UAS.
- Companies - An analysis of the strategies which companies are using to position themselves in the market, including acquisitions, teaming and product development.
Table of Contents
The Civil UAS Market Outlook
- Covid-19 Pandemic and the Civil UAS Market
- Study Parameters
- Forecast Assumptions
Evolving Civil Market
- FAA Continuing Progress in Opening National Airspace
- Europe Introduces Unified Regulations to Catch Up to the United States
- China is Flexing Its Muscles in Agriculture, Delivery and Other Commercial UAS
- Other Asia-Pacific Nations Seek to Stake Out Their Own Positions
- Major Technology Companies Spurring Development
- Flood of Investment Slows Due to Pandemic
- Development of the UAS Services Industry
- Civil Government Market Growth Strong in Europe and United States
Commercial Market Size and Timing
- Enterprise Markets Emerge in Construction, Energy, Insurance
- General Photography
- Precision Agriculture
Consumer Drone Market Growth Beginning to Flag
Uncertainties about Civil/Commercial Market Growth
Development of the Civil/Commercial UAS Industry
Emergence of the Commercial UAS Industry
- Covid-19 Pandemic Will Intensify Pressures to Consolidate
- Technology Leaders Positioning Themselves for Industry Growth
- Defense/Aerospace Companies Seeking Civil/Commercial UAS Market Position
- Growing Recognition of the Need for Hybrid Hardware/Software/Data Analysis Companies
- The Service Industry Draws Multinationals and Small Players
- Rapid Growth but Profits Lag During Ramp-Up
- The Structure of the Nascent Industry Takes Shape
- Moving Up the Value Chain
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Acquisitions Driven by Multiple Factors
- Solar-Powered Systems Began Acquisition Drive
- Consolidation Underway as Profits Lag
Venture Capital Funding
- Venture Capital Drone Investment Falters with Pandemic Impact
- Investments Greatest in US and Chinese Drone Companies
- Initial Public Offerings Growing
- Venture Capital Turning to Chinese Firms Targeting Industrial Inspection
- Future Venture Capital Funding Outlook
US Civil Government Markets
FAA Begins Opening National Airspace
- Pace of Incremental Approach Remains Uncertain
- Critical Elements for Opening National Airspace
- Remote Identification Moving Ahead
- Challenges of Detect and Avoid
- Unmanned Traffic Management
- NASA Flight Testing of Large UAS
- NASA Flight Testing of Medium UAS
- Proposed Rule on Flight Over People Awaits Remote ID Progress
- Integration Pilot Program
- The Rule on Small UAS
- Use of Waivers Under Part 107 as an Interim Step
- Former Section 333 Approval Process
- Emergence of the Initial US Commercial Market
- Earlier FAA Movement in Allowing US Commercial UAS Operations
- Frustrations with the Pace of FAA Progress
US Federal Government Use Cases
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Homeland Security: Customs & Border Protection
- Customs & Border Protection Background
- Department of Homeland Security: Coast Guard
- Department of Justice
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Planned Buildup Slowed by Information Security Concerns
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Faces UAS Setbacks
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Ended Its Program
- US Marshall Service
- Department of Justice Assistance to Local Law Enforcement
- US Department of Interior
- Temporary Cessation of Drone Operations Due to Chinese Content
- Assuming a Leading Role in Federal Government UAS Use
- Background on Development of the Fleet
- Department of Interior: US Geological Survey
- Department of Interior: Bureau of Land Management
- Department of Interior: Forestry Applications
- US Department of Agriculture
- US Department of Commerce
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Other Federal Government UAV Users
- NASA Research UAVs
- National Institute of Standards
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Other Federal Agencies
State and Local Government
- State Departments of Transportation Emerging as Early Adopters
- State and Local Law Enforcement and Public Safety
US Civil Government Market Forecast
International Civil Government Markets
European Union Agencies & Programs
- Growing Momentum in the Use of UAS to Control European Borders
- New Frontex: European Border and Coast Guard
- Frontex-European Agency for the Management of External Borders
- European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA)
- European Fisheries Control Agency
- Maritime Rescue Coordination Center (Refugee Operations)
- European Emergency Number Association
European Country Profiles
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom
European Civil Government Forecast
Rest of the World
United Nations & Other Multinational Institutions
- United Nations Peacekeeping
- International Organization for Migration
- World Food Program
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- Organization for Security & Co-operation in Europe
- World Bank
Rest of the World Country Profiles
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
Rest of the World Civil Government Forecast
- Emerging Trends in Asia and US
- Agricultural UAS Applications
- UAS Spraying Market Remains Exclusively an Asia-Pacific Market
- Chinese Drones Pushing into the Asian Spraying and the US Imagery Markets
- Emergence of the UAS Agricultural Imagery and Analytics Market
- Large Potential Delivery Market
- Near Term Delivery Dominated by Medicines, Remote Areas, Ships
- Medium- and Longer-Term Promise for Premium and Larger Package Deliveries
- Pandemic Speeds Deployment of Delivery Drones
- FAA Integration Program Addressing Delivery Obstacles
- Current Regulations Non-Starters for Delivery
- China's Manufacturers and Retailers Forging Ahead Quickly
- Delivery Work Picking up in Japan, Singapore and South East Asia
- International Progress Toward Other Deliveries
- Challenging Economics of Low Value Drone Deliveries
- Market Soars with Largest Commercial Order Ever and Growing Alliances
- State of Adoption
- Potential Applications
- Construction Suppliers' Plans for UAS Operations
- Largest Construction Contractors Worldwide Embracing UAS
Energy (Oil & Gas/Utilities)
- The Rush into Wind and Solar
- Common Characteristics of Oil and Gas and Utilities
- Oil and Gas Majors Pursuing Diverse Strategies on Drone Operations
- Growing Menu of Service Offerings Spurring Oil and Gas Inspection Growth
- Oil and Gas Pipeline Market Requirements
- Pipeline Patrol: A Tale of Two Markets
- Potential UAS Applications for Utilities
- Transmission Line Inspections in United States
- Power Line Inspections in Europe and Asia
- Choice of System for Transmission Line Inspection
- Covid-19 Pandemic Could Hurt Key HAPS Development Efforts
- Creation of HAPS Alliance
- Low Cost HALE or HAPS Technology Spawns Multiple Approaches
- Solar HAPS Pushes Ahead into Production
- Google's Past Approach
- Facebook's Turnabout on Developing Its Own System
- Traditional Defense/Aerospace Companies Push Their Own HAPS Development
- Non-Traditional HAPS Western Competition
- Chinese Companies Developing HAPS Systems
- Solar UAS Operating Procedure for Internet
- Service Offerings Likely to Proliferate
- Use of Smaller UAS for Inspections of Communications Infrastructure
- Cost Remains an Issue for Cell Tower Inspections
- Emergency Communications & Other Applications for Small UAS
- Insurance Market Outlook
- Insurance Companies Emerge as an Early Adopter
- A Cautionary Note
- Drones Tested
- International Insurance UAS Outlook
Other Industrial Inspection
- Aircraft Inspection Rapidly Growing
- Potential Mining Market
- Leading Mining Companies Finding Success with Drones
- Mining a Focus Market for Many Leading New UAS Companies
- Mining Applications
- Mining Outlook
- European Early Railway Adopters
- FAA Pathfinder Adoption Key for Railway Adoption
- Railway Outlook
- Drone Shows Catching on Around the World
- Low Barriers to Entry Foster Early Development
- Real Estate, News Gathering & Cinematography
Urban Air Mobility Market
- Emerging Landscape of the UAM Market
- Aircraft Challenges
- Integration Challenges
- Need for Community Support
- Outlook for Unmanned eVTOL
- Consumer Market Falters
- Past Explosive Growth of the Consumer Drone Market
- Shifting Markets
- Aerodyne Group
- Aerodyne Measure
- AeroVironment Inc.
- Aeryon Labs Inc.
- AgEagle Aerial Systems
- Airbus Defense & Space (formerly European Defense and Space Co.)
- AirRobot GmbH & Co.
- Amazon.Com, Inc.
- American Aerospace Technologies, Inc.
- Altavian Inc
- Astigan Ltd.
- Aurora Flight Sciences (Boeing)
- BAE Systems
- Baker Hughes-Avitas Systems
- Bell Helicopter Textron Inc.
- The Boeing Co.
- CAE Inc.
- CACI International Inc.
- China Aerospace Science & Industry Corporation Limited (CASIC)
- Chinese Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics
- CyberHawk Innovations Ltd.
- Delta Drone
- DJI Innovations
- Draganfly Innovations Inc.
- Dragonfly Pictures, Inc.
- Drone Volt
- Elbit Systems Ltd.
- enRoute Co., Ltd.
- EHang (Beijing Yi-Hang Creation Science & Technology Co., Ltd.)
- EMT Ingenieurgesellschaft
- Ewatt Aerospace
- Facebook, Inc.
- FLIR Systems, Inc.
- General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc.
- Honeywell International Inc
- Hyundai Motor Group
- Intel Corp.
- Insitu Inc.
- Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd
- Joby Aviation
- Kaman Corp.
- Keystone Aerial Systems
- Korean Air Aerospace Business Division
- L3Harris Technologies
- Leonardo (formerly Finmeccanica)
- Leptron Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Inc.
- Lockheed Martin Corp.
- Lufthansa Aerial Services
- Lufthansa Technik AG
- MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd
- Martek Marine
- Microdrones GmbH
- Microsoft Corp.
- Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Pablo Air
- Parrot SA
- PrecisionHawk Inc.
- Prismatic Ltd.
- Prodrone Co. Ltd
- Qualcomm Technologies Inc.
- Raytheon Technologies Corp.
- Saab Group
- Schiebel Elektronische Geraete GmbH
- SF Express
- Sikorsky Aircraft Co. (now Part of Lockheed Martin Corp.)
- Siemens Aktiengesellschaft
- Singapore Engineering
- Sony (Aerosense)
- Stark Aerospace
- Survey Copter
- Swift Engineering
- Tekever Group
- Terra Drone
- Textron Systems Unmanned Systems
- Trimble Navigation
- Uconsystem Co. Ltd
- UMS Skeldar
- Verity Studios AG
- Volansi Inc.
- Wing (Alphabet, GoogleX)
- XAG Co., Ltd. (formerly XAircraft)
- Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd.
- Yuneec International
- Zala Aero Group
- Zero Zero Robotics
Appendix: Sources on Worldwide UAS Operators