Plastic packaging is an intersection sector between two industries, Plastics
and Packaging. Plastics packaging sector can be broadly categorized into (i)
Flexible packaging i.e. mostly for food sector; (ii) Plastic containers &
Closures which are mostly for beverage sector; and (iii) Rigid packaging.
Plastic packaging is the biggest segment which has 460/2,000 plastic companies
nation-wide. As reported by Vietnam Plastic Association, 66% of the plastic
export value contributed by packaging items.
Market Size and Growth
- Based on imported resin data obtained from Vietnam Customs Office, we have
estimated that total market size of plastic industry in Vietnam is
approximately US$6.2bn in 2012. This estimation was based on the total
imported plastic resin of 2.56 million tons valuing US$4.36 billion. And the
ratio of 70% of total sales in plastic industry is the imported resin.
- Included in the plastic industry, plastic packaging segment accounted for
39% of total production output of the plastic industry, according to Ministry
of Industrial & Trade. Therefore, the plastic packaging would be estimated at
US$2.4bn in 2012.
- According to Vietnam Packaging Association, Vietnamese plastic packaging
has been growing sharply recently with the annual growth rate of around 25%
over the last 5 years.
- Plastic packaging sector has been increasing due to a trend of usage PET
container and recycling plastic bag which be forecasted to growth of 20%/year.
Figure 9: Plastic Products Export by Vietnam
Source: StoxPlus, Vietnam Customs Office.
- Flexible packaging: The sector is rather fragmented with many small
companies. The major local players are Tan Tien Plastics Packaging JSC
(17.49%), Liksin (7%), Saigon Plastics (4.55%) and Saigon Trapaco (4.78%).
Large foreign companies are Ngai Mee (7.1%), Tong Yuan (5.8%), Huktamaki
- Plastic Bottles and Closures: PET bottles in Vietnam were almost
imported before 2000 and the pioneer producers in this sector are Ngoc Nghia
JSC and Bao Van Plastic JSC, with their first plants established in early
2000. Together, Ngoc Nghia and Bao Van are now dominating the PET bottle
manufacturing industry with total market share of 80%, as claimed by company
Plastic Import-Export Activities
- Product Export: Total plastic products exported by Vietnam amounted
to nearly US$2bn in 2012.
- Resin Import: Total plastic resin imported to Vietnam in 2012 is
US$6.8bn. Main import items are PET (27%), PP (21%), PET (9%). In which, PET
resin amounted to US$394mn with 212.5 thousand tons.
Key Local Players
- Flexible Packaging: Tan Tien Plastic JSC, Saigon Plastic Packaging
JSC, and Saigon Trading & Packaging JSC.
- Pet Containers: Ngoc Nghia Plastic JSC and Bao Van Plastic JSC.
- Rigid Packaging: Duy Tan Plastic JSC.
Tan Hiep Phat - Product Categories
Table of Contents
1. Analysis of the Vietnam Plastic Container Market
2. Regulation on Disposal and Recycling of Plastic Containers
3. Plastic Packaging from Major Beverage Players
- 3.1. Overall market analysis of Soft-Drinks Market
- 3.2. Summary of Major Players
- 3.2.1. Tan Hiep Phat
- 3.2.2. PepsiCo (Vietnam)
- 3.2.3. Coca Cola (Vietnam)
- 3.2.4. Universal Robina Corporation (Vietnam)
- 3.2.5. Nestle (Vietnam)
- 3.2.6. Vinamilk
4. Plastic Packaging from Major Food Players
- 4.1. Summary of Major Players
- 4.2. Tuong An Vegetable Oil
- 4.3. Cai Lan Oils & Fats
- 4.4. Ajinomoto Vietnam
- 4.5. Masan Consumer
- 4.6. Unilever Vietnam
- 4.7. Miko Foods
5. Analysis of Major Plastic Container Manufacturers
- 5.1. Summary of Major Players
- 5.2. Key Player Analysis
- Appendix 1: Key Figures on Soft Drink Market in Vietnam
- Appendix 2: Soft Drink Brands: Sales Volume and Market Shares, 2008-2011
- Appendix 3: Key Figures on Packed Food Market in Vietnam
- Appendix 4: Packed Foods: Sales Value and Market Shares, 2009-2012
- Appendix 5: List of interviews conducted