Product Code: CURP16133924
In ‘K-12 Reading Market Survey Report 2020 ’, Simba Information provides data on the U.S. market for reading instructional materials, including the projected dollar size of that market in 2020.
‘K-12 Reading Market Survey Report 2020 ’ examines what reading curriculum resources schools use for instruction, assessment and remediation. Looking beyond what is being used, the report provides information on what components are important to educators when they consider reading resources.
‘K-12 Reading Market Survey Report 2020 ’ is part of a Simba Information publication series reporting on the instructional materials markets for reading, mathematics, science and social studies. Where appropriate, statistics in the new report are compared to those in the prior publications. Also included are breakdowns of materials used in grades K-2, grades 3-5 and grades 6+.
The report is built on the results of a 21-question survey that was mailed to 20,000 educators in October 2019, and on Simba Information's ongoing coverage of the instructional materials market. The survey mailing list included classroom teachers, reading teachers and curriculum/instruction supervisors. Data from the survey is provided in full in a lengthy appendix.
Topics analyzed in this new report include:
- core reading instructional materials used by publisher;
- supplemental materials being used by educators;
- reading assessments used to track student progress;
- how schools try to help struggling readers;
- leveling systems schools use to match materials with student reading levels; and
- websites teachers are tapping for reading resources.
Table of Contents
State of Reading 2019-2020
- Table Reading Purchasing 2020-2021 versus 2019-2020
- Impact of State Adoptions
- Perspectives from the Core Basal Market
- Perspectives from the Supplemental Market
- Reading Collections
- Digital-Print Hybrids
- Beyond Content
- Supplemental Spending for Reading
- Supplemental Spending by Sub-Group
- Table: Estimates of Reading Spending by Classroom
- What Supplementals
Using a Core Reading Program
- Table Use of a Core Program by Subject Area
- Table Use of a Core Program by Grade-Level
- Table Use of a Core Program by Educators' Years of Experience
- Table Use of a Core Program by State
- Table Use of a Core Program by Provider
- Core Reading Programs in Use
- Table: Core Reading Programs in Use
- Important Attributes of Core Math Programs
- Table: Important Features in Core Programs
- Core Reading Program Use: Print or Digital
- Table: Core Reading Program Access by Grade Level
- How Long Current Core Reading Program Has Been in Use
- Table: How Long Current Core Reading Program Has Been in Use
- Choosing the Same Program Again
- Table: Choose the Same Program Again by Subject
- Table: Choose the Same Program Again by Program/Provider
Reading Beyond the Core
- Table Primary Reading Instruction Tool if Not a Core Program
- Table Primary Reading Instruction Tool if Not a Core Program by Grade Level
- Leveling Systems in Use
- Table: Leveling Systems Used in Reading Instruction Over Time
- Table: Leveling Systems Used by Grade Level
- Table: Leveling Systems Used in Selected States
- Assessments in Use
- Table: Reading Assessments Students Take
- Table: Reading Assessments Taken by District Enrollment
- Addressing Reading Intervention and RtI
- Table: Addressing Reading Intervention/RtI; 2019, Classroom Teachers, Reading Teachers, 2017
- Table: Addressing Reading Intervention/RtI by Grade Level
- Table: Addressing Reading Intervention/RtI in Selected States
The Shift to Digital
- Table Reading Instruction Time Spent Using Digital Tools or Content Over Time
- Device Most Often Used for Digital Access
- Table: Device Most Often Used for Digital Access
- Websites accessed for Reading
- Table: Websites Accessed for Reading by Grade Level
- Who Makes Reading Purchasing Decisions
- Table: Who Makes Reading Purchasing Decisions
- Criteria for Selecting Supplemental Reading Resources
- Table: Criteria for Selecting Supplemental Resources
- Table: Criteria for Selecting Supplemental Resources by Grade Level
- Table: Criteria for Selecting Supplemental Resources by State
Table: STATE OF RESIDENCE
- Table Q.1 -WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING MOST CLOSELY DESCRIBES YOUR POSITION?
- Table Q.2 -WHAT GRADE(S) DO YOU CURRENTLY TEACH OR SUPERVISE?
- Table Q.3 - HOW MANY YEARS OF TEACHING/SUPERVISORY EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE?
- Table Q.4 - WHAT IS THE STUDENT ENROLLMENT IN YOUR DISTRICT?
- Table Q.5 - WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS BEST DESCRIBES YOUR CORE BASAL READING PROGRAM?
- Table Q.6 - IF YOU HAVE A BASAL CORE READING PROGRAM, WHICH ONE IS IT? FILTER: HAVE A CORE BASAL READING PROGRAM
- Table Q.7 - HOW RECENTLY DID YOU ADOPT THE CORE READING PROGRAM YOU CURRENTLY USE? FILTER: HAVE A CORE BASAL READING PROGRAM
- Table Q.8 - IF YOU HAD IT TO DO OVER, WOULD YOU CHOOSE THE SAME CORE PROGRAM AGAIN? FILTER: HAVE A CORE BASAL READING PROGRAM
- Table Q.9 - HOW DO STUDENTS MOST OFTEN ACCESS THE CORE READING PROGRAM? FILTER: HAVE A CORE BASAL READING PROGRAM
- Table Q.10 - WHAT DO YOU VIEW AS THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES IN A CORE RADING PROGRAM?
- Table Q.11 - IF YOU DO NOT USE A CORE PROGRAM, WHAT DO YOU USE AS YOUR PRIMARY TOOL TO TEACH READING?
- Table Q.12 - ABOUT WHAT PERCENTAGE OF READING TIME IS SPENT USING ANY DIGITAL TOOLS AND/OR DIGITAL CONTENT?
- Table Q.13 - WHAT DEVICE IS USED MOST OFTEN BY THE STUDENTS TO ACCESS DIGITAL TOOLS OR CONTENT?
- Table Q.14 - WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING READING ASSESSMENTS DO YOUR STUDENTS TAKE?
- Table Q.15 - WHICH, IF ANY, OF THE FOLLOWING LEVELING SYSTEMS DO YOU TYPICALLY USE TO MATCH INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS WITH STUDENTS' READING LEVELS?
- Table Q.16 - WHAT RESOURCE(S) DO YOUR SCHOOLS USE FOR READING INTERVENTION/RESPONSE TO INTERVENTION?
- Table Q.17 - WHO IN YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT MAKES DECISIONS ABOUT THE PURCHASE OF READING/INTERVENTION MATERIALS?
- Table Q.18 - HOW DO YOU EXPECT YOUR SCHOOL'S SPENDING FOR READING AND READING INTERVENTION/RTI RESOURCES TO CHANGE IN THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR VERSUS THE 2019-20 SCHOOL YEAR?
- Table Q.19 - IN SELECTING SUPPLEMENTAL READING OR RTI MATERIALS, APART FROM FIT WITH YOUR STUDENTS' NEEDS, WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT CRITERIA DRIVING YOUR BUYING DECISION?
- Table Q.20 - WHICH READING-RELATED WEB SITES DO YOU USE/RECOMMEND TO STUDENTS?
- Table Q.21 - ABOUT HOW MUCH WILL YOU SPEND THIS SCHOOL YEAR FOR READING INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS (EXCLUDING TEXTBOOKS), INCLUDING FUNDS