The report is a comparison of ten leading cross-platform tools on a detailed
level. Tools are compared one-on-one by dimensions like time savings, tool
complexity, platform coverage, HW feature access, API access, app quality,
support service quality cost-performance ratio, etc.
The detailed Cross-Platform Tool Benchmarking includes the following CP Tools:
- Corona SDK
- JQuery Mobile
- Phone Gap
- Sencha Touch
- Unity 3D
The report describes each of the ten Cross-Platform tools (CP Tools) and the
goes into detail comparing:
- How satisfied users are with CP Tools in general and with each single tool?
- Which tool meets user satisfaction most? Which least?
- Which tool caters which industries best?
- Which tool is best for which user profile (i.e. company size)?
- - The tools' complexity, i.e. time to get familiar with the tool and get
the best out of it. How does this learning investment pay off for app
development later? Is the learning time worth the time saving? Which tool is
- Which tool supports which mobile platforms?
- Which Cloud API Services and other features are available for each tool?
- Which tool produces the apps with the highest quality?
- Which tool has the best cost-performance ratio?
- Which tool gets the highest overall rating (by its users)?
The accuracy and informative value of the results depends on the number of
user ratings of a particular CP Tool. Please note that three tools (Sencha
Touch, Construct2, Corona SDK) have less the 30 answers, which are marked in
grey in the document to facilitate interpretation of the results. Even lower
numbers of user ratings give a good indication of the strengths and weaknesses
of a CP Tool.
Read the report to:
- Get a market overview and compare ten leading cross-platform tools.
- Inform yourself, which tools fits your needs best: Does it support your
target industry? Is it suited for your IT skills? Is it suited for your
company size? Is it suited for your target industry? Does it fit to your
- Inform yourself which tool users advocate which tool
- See how satisfied users are with their tools.
- Read how good the tools are rated and which tool delivers the best
Table of Contents
1. Key takeaways
2. Benchmarking methodology
3. The cross platform tool coverage of the benchmarking study
- 3.2. Air by Adobe
- 3.3. JQuery Mobile by JQuery Foundation
- 3.4. Marmalade by Marmalade
- 3.5. Unity 3D by Unity Technologies
- 3.6. Xamarin by Xamarin
- 3.7. Titanium by Appcelerator
- 3.8. Corona SDY by Corona Labs
- 3.9. Sencha Touch by Sencha
- 3.10. Construct 2 by Scirra
4. User background comparison
5. Usage intensity comparison
6. Comparison of targeted industries and app categories
7. Cross platform tool complexity comparison
8. Support service quality comparison
9. Platform support comparison
10. App project duration and time savings comparison
11. User satisfaction with tecnology features
- 11.1. Cloud API services
- 11.2. Accessibility of device hardware features
- 11.3. Accessibility of pre-installed applications
12. App Quality benchmarking
- 12.1. Design feature comparison
- 12.2. Usability comparison against native apps
- 12.3. Performance comparison against native apps
- 12.4. App security comparison
- 12.5. App revenue comparison
13. Cost-performance ratio comparison
About the authors
List of figures and tables
LIST OF FIGURES AND TABLES
- Figure 1: Geographical overview of cross-platform tool users
- Figure 2: Background of cross-platform tool users
- Figure 3: CP Tool users by company size
- Figure 4: CP Tool usage intensity by share of apps with CP Tool
- Figure 5: Complexity benchmarking: time-to-familiarize
- Figure 6: Complexity benchmarking: user rating complexity
- Figure 7: Support services quality rating
- Figure 8: Platform support benchmarking: user satisfaction with platform
- Figure 9: Average app development time
- Figure 10: Realized time-savings with CP Tools
- Figure 11: Cloud API services: service satisfaction, usage and importance
- Figure 12: Accessibility of device hardware features: service
satisfaction, usage and importance
- Figure 13: Accessibility of pre-installed applications: service
satisfaction, usage and importance
- Figure 14: App quality rating by CP Tool users: design features
- Figure 15: App quality rating by CP Tool users: usability
- Figure 16: App quality rating by CP Tool users: app performance
- Figure 17: App quality rating by CP Tool users: app security
- Figure 18: App quality rating by CP Tool users: generated app revenues
- Figure 19: CP Tool user rating: cost-performance ratio
- Table 1: Benchmarked CP Tools and sample sizes
- Table 2: CP Tool users by industry focus
- Table 3: CP Tool users by app category focus
- Table 4: Support services usage
- Table 5: Usage intensity of CP Tool supported platforms