Product Code: TC0546MR
Germany is the most populated country in Western Europe with a population of 82.5m in 2017. It is expected that Germany's population to decline marginally over the 2018-2022 period, reaching 82.4m by 2022 as migration to Germany fails to make up for Germany's aging population. Germany's nominal GDP will grow from US$3.4trn in 2017 to US$4.3trn in 2022, a CAGR of 4.7%, according to EIU data. Germany's economy is the largest in Western Europe, followed by the UK. Growth in domestic demand and exports will drive nominal GDP growth in the coming years.
German telecom market will generate US$45.6bn (€42.9bn) by the end of 2017, a decrease of -4.5% (-0.6% in €) over 2016, primarily due to the sharp decline in circuit-switched revenue. Mobile data will grow at a CAGR of 8.0% (6.4% in €) triggered by the rising consumption of online content, including videos, supported by the availability of higher mobile broadband speeds.
Telecom service revenue growth in Germany over 2017-2022 will be sustained by mobile data and fixed broadband overtaking the loss of revenue from the switching off of circuit-switched lines in the country. Fixed broadband is the largest revenue-contributing segment but is expected to be replaced by mobile data in 2022. Going forward, operators will focus on data-centric services and invest in LTE-A, 5G and FTTH deployments to boost broadband penetration in the country. Operators' push for digital solutions such as M2M/IoT, and high-speed broadband network under the Gigabit society plan 2025 will create significant opportunities for vendors and investors in the coming years.
The report "Germany: Country Intelligence Report" provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Germany today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Furthermore, it provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, and mobile, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Specifically, this report enables the following analysis -
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- In-depth analysis of fixed, mobile and pay-TV services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Forecast assumptions
- Data tables
Companies mentioned in this report: T-Mobile Germany, Vodafone Germany, telefonica Deutschland, O2 Germany, Unitymedia, 1&1, Drillisch, United Internet, Sky Germany, and Kabel Deutschland.
- The total telecom service revenue growth in Germany will remain low due to loss of revenue from circuit-switched but will be supported by growth in mobile data, VoIP and fixed broadband revenue.
- Mobile revenue will account for 48.3% of the total telecom revenue in 2022, with mobile data accounting for 61.1% of mobile revenue in 2022.
- 4G is currently the most adopted mobile technology . However, its share will decline during the forecast period as customers migrate to 5G assuming it is comercially available by 2020.
- The top two mobile operators, T-Mobile and Vodafone accounted for 61.2% share of overall mobile subscriptions in 2017. We expect the competition to intensify further with the recent approved merger of United Internet's 1&1 with Drillisch.
- Operators will continue to invest in 4G network expansions, fiber deployments, 5G and advanced DSL technologies such as G.fast to improve connectivity and cater to the rising data demand.
Reasons to buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Germany's telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData's Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Germany's mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 40 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Germany's telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Germany.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Table of contents 3
- Market highlights 4
- Demographic, macro and regulatory context 5
- Demographic and macroeconomic context 6
- Regulatory context 8
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook 9
- Total telecom service revenue 10
- Mobile services market 12
- Fixed services market 18
- Pay-TV services market 22
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots 25
- Competitive landscape 26
- Deutsche Telekom 28
- Telefonica Deutschland 29
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots (cont'd) 25
- Vodafone 30
- United Internet 31
- Unitymedia 32
- Additional resources 33
- Forecast assumptions 34
- Data tables 35
- Glossary 36
- Methodology 39
- About the authors 40
- Country Intelligence Report coverage 41
- About GlobalData 42