Global flexographic output is expected to grow at an annual average rate of 4.3% in current terms (1.6% in constant terms) from $173.0 billion in 2020 to a forecast $213.9 billion by 2025, driven by package and label printing as well as sanitary/kitchenware. The fastest growing regional markets will be Asia at 7.1% per annum, followed by Eastern Europe at 5.7% (both in current terms).
There will be an increase in growth in global flexographic output through 2025, during a period of uncertainty and change. Global flexographic output is expected to grow at an annual average rate of 4.3% in current terms (1.6% in constant terms) from $173.0 billion in 2020 to a forecast $213.9 billion by 2025, driven by package and label printing as well as sanitary/kitchenware. The fastest growing regional markets will be Asia at 7.1% per annum, followed by Eastern Europe at 5.7% (both in current terms).
New flexo press sales are projected to increase by 0.4% per annum between now and 2025 to 1,362, valued at $1.62 billion - complemented by a thriving secondhand and press enhancement/refurbishment sector. Consumables demand will grow steadily, with flexo printing ink sales growing at 2.5% per annum in constant value terms to $6.66 billion by 2025, flexo plates at 3.1% per annum to $1.69 billion and flexo sleeves at 4.6% per annum $34.7 million.
- In-depth market forecasts segmented by technological developments, consumables, application and geographic region
- Comprehensive analysis of key market drivers and trends in the flexographic printing market to 2025
- How the flexographic printing market is managing the digital challenge.
What will you discover?
- The technological developments, which will address the increasing desire for shorter runs as the digitalisation drive continues
- How consumer trends continue to drive the need for shorter, more customised manufacturing runs in consumer goods and packaging
- The impact changes to sustainability measures are having upon the printing industry and how flexographic printing is adapting accordingly.
Who should buy the report?
- Manufacturers of flexographic press and prepress equipment
- Suppliers of flexographic printing inks, plates and sleeves
- Flexographic press operators
- Packaging converters and printers
The Smithers methodology
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with printing material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets.
This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
About the author:
DAVID ZWANG has been helping companies increase their productivity, margins and market reach for over 40 years. He specialises in process analysis, automation, engineering, and strategic development of firms in the fields of publishing and packaging across the globe.
His expertise in production optimisation, strategic business planning, market analysis, and related and has transformed many businesses. He is currently the Chairman of the GWG (Ghent Workgroup) and sits on many national and international standards bodies.
Table of Contents
Introduction & methodology
- Report scope
- Report objective
- Research process
- List of definitions
Market trends and drivers for flexo printing
- World economic outlook
- Demographic trends
- Population growth
- Growing middle class
- Changing consumer habits
- The effect of the Internet
- Increased online purchasing
- Product personalization
- Increase in manufacturing on demand
- Increasing digital threat
- Increase in shorter runs
- Growth of application-based solutions
- Increase of hybrid printing solutions
- Packaging trends
- Changing run length demands in different applications
- Increasing popularity of flexible packaging
- Increasing popularity of shelf-ready packaging
- Environmental trends
- Increasing global consumer awareness
- Increasing global regulatory efforts
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Sustainable materials
- Sustainable processes
- Equipment and consumable trends
- Plate and sleeve supply markets
- Mergers, acquisitions and alliances in plate supply
- Declining skilled labour pool
Cutting-edge technology developments in flexo print
- Automation of flexo presses and processes
- Increased automation and digitisation
- Collaboration for technical evolution
- Improvements to flexo computer-to-plate technology (CtP)
- Increased imaging control
- Increased automation
- Improvements to anilox rollers and processes
- UV LEDs for UV curing sets, replacing UV lamps
- Flexo finishing equipment improvements
- Digitised structural technologies
- Increased market penetration of water wash plates
- Inks and consumables
Flexo print - managing the digital challenge
- Preparing for the product lifecycle
- Confusing the printing process with the business
- Embracing emerging technologies
- "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it is"
Flexo equipment and consumables markets 2018-25
- Flexographic printing equipment markets
- Narrow web
- Medium web
- Wide web
- Sheetfed (incl. folder and gluers)
- Special/other flexo units
- Flexographic printing consumables
- Printing inks
- Printing plates
- Printing sleeves
Flexo application markets 2018-25
- Corrugated packaging
- Flexible packaging
- Bags & sacks
- Other products
Flexo printing geographic markets 2020-25
- Western Europe
- Other Western Europe
- North America
- Other Asia
- Latin America
- Other Latin America
- Eastern Europe
- Other Eastern Europe
- Middle East