Product Code: IT022-000036
APIs in their various guises facilitate externalization of enterprises to open new revenue streams and simplify the integration of digital sales, marketing, commerce, and other channels into established business processes and models. API management provides the requisite governance, performance management, and security framework to help ensure that API-centric digital transformation initiatives deliver positive business outcomes.
- Digital transformation is a multi-faceted process that calls for significant changes at the business strategy, process, cultural, and infrastructure levels. APIs simplify the consumption and monetization of enterprise assets, including backend applications, services, and data sources via digital channels.
- Digital transformation initiatives require end-to-end API management, encompassing service transformation and orchestration, developer and partner community management and engagement, API lifecycle governance, API security, operational and business analytics, and monetization.
- Provides a framework for implementing and governing API-centric digital transformation initiatives.
- Offers insight into the various elements and phases involved in the development and implementation of an API-centric digital transformation strategy.
- Why is API management essential for achieving digital transformation?
- How do APIs help strengthen the competitive positioning of an enterprise in the digital value chain?
- Why should digital strategy take into account the differences between API management and SOA governance?
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key messages
APIS ARE THE GLUE BINDING TOGETHER DIFFERENT COMPONENTS OF THE DIGITAL SUPPLY CHAIN
- Digital transformation is a composite solution to several business
- APIs are central to the integration infrastructure required for enabling
- REST APIs are emerging as the primary enabler for interactions in the
- Internal API management will continue to gain importance
DIGITAL STRATEGY SHOULD TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN API MANAGEMENT AND SOA GOVERNANCE
- API management builds on SOA governance heritage
- API management offers a more effective approach to community management
and engagement, as well as monetization
GOVERNANCE IS A "MAKE OR BREAK" FACTOR FOR THE SUCCESS OF API INITIATIVES AIMED AT DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION
- Business-IT collaboration is indispensable for achieving success with a
holistic digital transformation strategy
- The what, how, and why of an API-centric digital transformation strategy
- Design, infrastructure modernization, and security should be the key
- There is no shortcut or one-size-fits-all approach to digital
- API management will play a key role across different aspects of digital
- Recommendations for enterprises
- Recommendations for vendors
- Further reading
- Ovum Consulting
- Figure 1: Key business challenges in the current operating environment
- Figure 2: Evolution from a traditional enterprise to a digital enterprise
- Figure 3: Protocol usage by APIs
- Figure 4: SOA governance vs. API management
- Figure 5: API-centric digital transformation strategy
- Figure 6: Ovum framework for implementing and governing API-centric
digital transformation initiatives