Product Code: IT017-004191
The PaaS market is evolving in three main directions, creating a positive feedback loop where each trend feeds on the others.
- Instead, they will combine a central generic PaaS offering from the likes of Google or Microsoft with offerings from a variety of start-ups.
- This report provides an overview of the main trends in the PaaS market.
- This report looks at the various segments in the PaaS market and explains why and how these segments are evolving. It also points out which segments are to emerge next.
- The report details the type of applications that PaaS offerings support, and how this has evolved and will continue to evolve.
- How large is the PaaS market? What are the main trends in this market?
- Which vendors are involved in the PaaS market? Why? What are their main strategies?
- What are the main PaaS market segments? How are they evolving?
- Which audiences do PaaS offerings target? Why? How is this evolving?
- Which types of applications do PaaS offerings target? Why? How is this evolving?
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key messages
A fast-growing but currently small market
A market attracting a growing number of vendors
- A vendor-push rather than a demand-pull market
- There is no dominant player in the PaaS market, and none is likely to
- A very fluid market fed by acquisitions, partnerships, investments, and
- 99A variety of acquisitions
- 99Partnerships and investments
- 99Open source PaaS
- 99Already some failures, more to come
- The boundaries between SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS are blurring
- 99Expansion from SaaS to PaaS
- 99Expansion from IaaS to PaaS
- 99Expansion from PaaS to IaaS
A market divided into an increasing number of segments
- Vendors straddle various market segments
- Enterprises will mix and match PaaS solutions
- From a bottom-up to a top-down approach to PaaS segmentation
- Every PaaS market segment is evolving quickly
- Mobile PaaS is the new black
- Big Data PaaS is also on the rise
- API PaaS is the next fashionable PaaS market segment
- Mobile and Big Data PaaS converge into IoT PaaS
A market that caters for an increasingly wide array of audiences and applications
- PaaS caters for an increasing number of vendors
- PaaS is catering for an increasing number of enterprises
- PaaS is catering for an increasing number of non-IT users
- PaaS is catering for an increasing number of applications
- 99No single PaaS offering can cater for all types of application
- 99From COTS to custom (cloud-centric) applications
- 99From tactical to strategic applications
- 99From green-field to legacy applications
- 99From Perl, Python, and Ruby, to Java applications
- 99From applications as pets to applications as cattle
- Recommendations for enterprises
- 99Adopt a PaaS portfolio strategy
- 99Approach PaaS tactically and strategy will follow as the market matures
- 99Bring PaaS governance to the fore
- Recommendations for vendors
- 99Put your PaaS offering in context
- 99Target your marketing to specific audiences
- Further reading
- Ovum Consulting
- Figure 1: PaaS market trends
- Figure 2: Ovum Enterprise Public Cloud Adoption Forecast
- Figure 3: PaaS supply chain
- Figure 4: Types of application developed on top of Engine Yard's PaaS