Product Code: IT014-002781
An abundance of software tools are available to profile, cleanse, and validate data. However, the value of this tooling is markedly elevated when implemented as part of a data governance program, and integrated on a unified software platform that allows both IT and business stakeholders to proactively analyze, enrich, and control constantly growing and changing data assets. Implemented correctly, this can provide immediate visibility and insights into the business and accelerate business-critical data migration, warehousing, and compliance IT projects.
- While point tools effectively address tactical data quality problems, an integrated data quality management platform extends the value of this tooling and supports sustainable, enterprise-wide data quality and governance strategies.
- Having an integrated data quality management platform in place can accelerate the delivery, and reduce the cost, of existing and planned data-driven IT projects.
- Understand why data quality matters and why governing your data as a valuable corporate asset is essential for competing in the marketplace today.
- Learn how to build a powerful business case for data quality management in your organization.
- Evaluate the benefits of a proactive approach to data quality management over traditional reactive approaches.
- Understand the key steps towards achieving data quality maturity.
- What are the key industry-specific drivers for data quality management?
- How do platform approaches to implementing data quality management trump point-tool implementations?
- What are the key steps in understanding, transforming, and managing the quality of data?
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key messages
- DATA QUALITY MATTERS - GOVERNING YOUR DATA AS A BUSINESS ASSET
- Building the data governance-enabled enterprise
- Counting the cost of "dirty data"
- Data quality challenges are rising
- DRIVING BUSINESS VALUE WITH DATA QUALITY
- Data quality sticks and carrots
- Assessing the state of your data quality maturity
- PROACTIVE DATA QUALITY AND GOVERNANCE
- Reactive approaches that play catch-up are falling short
- Enterprises want a "complete" platform approach
- BUSINESS DRIVERS FOR A PLATFORM APPROACH
- Powerful business and industry drivers
- KEY STEPS TO DATA QUALITY SUCCESS
- Connecting the data quality dots
- Understanding your data is the first step toward governing it
- Data prototyping ensures that your data meets quality standards
- Using a proven methodology that provides data value "scores"
- Creating a collaborative environment that bridges the data quality gap
- Recommendations for enterprises
- Treat business data as one of your most valuable corporate assets
- Data governance requires a commited and proactive approach
- Securing senior business-level buy-in is critical
- Data quality is a process best supported by an integrated IT platform
- Ovum Consulting
- Figure 1: Data quality and governance maturity curve
- Figure 2: Industry-specific drivers for data quality
- Figure 3: Data quality and governance lifecycle