Product Code: IT007-000625
Many large enterprises are overly cautious about the use of public cloud services such as Google Apps. This case study tells the story of the adoption of Google Apps by a major Australian university by students and staff, revealing the practical experiences and lessons learned on the frontline of cloud adoption.
- Visionary leadership and a pragmatic approach enabled this university to transform the way staff and students collaborate and innovate by using public cloud services.
- The university replaced a diverse and fragmented portfolio of poorly performing on-premise email and collaboration tools with Google Apps Education Edition in 2009/10.
- Provides proof points for the adoption of public cloud services by a large enterprise.
- Provides a detailed case study of the rationale for choosing Google Apps and evidence of actual benefits.
- Endorses Ovum's role as an influential adviser in the decision to "go Google."
- What are the practical experiences of enterprises that have adopted public cloud services?
- How has the university overcome the often-discussed barriers to the use of a public cloud service?
- What are the benefits - in practice - of using cloud services?
About Ovum, Ltd.
Table of Contents
- Ovum view
- Key messages
- MONASH UNIVERSITY
- Monash Directions 2025
- Statement of purpose
- MONASH'S JOURNEY TO GOOGLE
- The decision to "go Google"
- Google for students
- Google for staff
- "Going Google" outcomes
- GOOGLE SERVICES USED BY MONASH
- Google services
- Service usage
- BENEFITS OF "GOING GOOGLE"
- Monash's Google experience
- Collaboration facilitation
- Iterative evolution and innovation
- Mobile support
- Increased data storage limits
- Improved service reliability and quality
- Security and compliance
- Cost reductions
- Implementation costs
- Implementation benefits
- LESSONS LEARNED
- Monash's implementation experiences
- Adopt a strategic perspective
- Take a pragmatic, but thorough, approach to risk assessment and contract
- Invest in transition planning and support
- Managing Google's expanding range of services requires a structured
- Security and compliance can be enhanced by cloud adoption
- Vendor lock-in is, in practice, reduced
- OVUM ANALYSIS
- Public cloud services can be "fit for purpose" for serious enterprise
- A strategic perspective and a pragmatic approach to risk management are
the secrets for successful cloud adoption
- Support for collaboration and innovation is the most compelling benefit
of public cloud services
- Independent analyst input can influence strategic decision-making
- Further Ovum reading
- Ovum Consulting