Product Code: PKG15
The Most Comprehensive Report Available On The Global IC Packaging Industry.
While the integrated circuit (IC) market tends to be cyclical in nature, the general trend is for more ICs to be integrated into more products over time. The market is being driven by demand for handheld consumer devices as well as advanced computing products. All product segments (consumer, computer, communications, transportation, industrial) are benefiting and leading to new product innovation.
Following an unexpectedly robust year of growth (9.2%), in 2014, the semiconductor industry moderated its expansion in the first half 2015. While the rate of growth for both semiconductors shipped and worldwide revenues will decline somewhat in the second half of 2016 (election year), the market is expected to post a respectable CAGR of 4.2% over the next five years.
New Venture Research (NVR), in the 2015 Edition of The Worldwide IC Packaging Market, analyzes the semiconductor industry and uses this analysis to forecast the future of the global IC packaging market by package type and application. The report begins with an economic and industry overview, then examines the historic and future unit and revenue IC growth.
Total IC Packaging Revenue by Semiconductor Device ($B)
Source: SIA and NVR estimates
Following this high-level review, the report presents forecasts for the total worldwide IC packaging marketplace (Chapter 4), and explains the market segmentation defined by NVR. Next, the report dives deeply into an analysis of each semiconductor product type (Chapter 5), and segments these products by package family, I/O count range and general market application. The analysis returns to the individual package families (Chapter 6) and presents each in terms of semiconductor devices and I/O count. In all tables, unit shipments and revenue figures are displayed for each segment.
Next, the report presents NVR's continuing coverage of the outsourced semiconductor assembly and test (OSAT) market. These companies already comprise a significant share of the worldwide IC packaging market and will continue to grow in importance in the coming years. The report presents the total OSAT market in terms of both unit shipments and revenues. To help you further assess this group of companies, the report profiles the activities of the leading OSAT companies and the packages they offer.
The Worldwide IC Packaging Market, 2015 Edition continues NVR's leadership position in assessing the status and future of IC packaging. This report is an effective and economical tool for any company associated in the semiconductor industry to aid in assessing their own markets and potential areas of growth.
- Economic Overview
- Semiconductor Industry Analysis
Worldwide IC Packaging Market Forecasts,
- Package Prices
- Packaging Revenue
- By Semiconductor Product
- By Package Family
- By I/O Range
OSAT IC Packaging Market Forecasts,
- Package Prices
- Packaging Revenue
- Competitive Rankings
- Company Profiles
About the Author
Jerry Watkins is an independent senior analyst with more than 17 years of experience in the field of market research and consulting. He has worked for leading research companies such as Frost & Sullivan, Lucid Information Services, and NSI Research both in management and as a writer. Mr. Watkins has authored many syndicated reports, previously in the telecommunications sector and more recently in the computing and merchant embedded computing industry. He holds three university degrees including a B.A. in History, as well as a M.A. in International Studies.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - Introduction
- 1.1. Objectives of the Report
- 1.2. Scope of the Report
- 1.3. Report Organization
- 1.3.1. Methodology
- 1.3.2. Chapter Outline
Chapter 2 - Executive Summary
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. The Worldwide Market for Integrated Circuits
- 2.3. IC Packaging Trends
- 2.4. Outsourced Semiconductor Markets
- 2.5. Advanced Packaging Technology Trends
Chapter 3 - Economic Outlook and Worldwide Electronics Industry Forecast
- 3.1. World and Semiconductor Overview
- 3.2. Not All Economies Recovering Equally; Unrest Remains
- 3.3. World GDP
- 3.4. Global Electronics Market
- 3.5. Electronics Industry Summary Forecast
- 3.5.1. Communications
- 22.214.171.124. Cellular Handsets
- 126.96.36.199. Cellular Infrastructure
- 188.8.131.52. Other Phones
- 184.108.40.206. Enterprise LANs
- 220.127.116.11. Wireless LANs
- 18.104.22.168. DSL and Cable Modems
- 22.214.171.124. PBX/Other CPE
- 126.96.36.199. Carrier-Class Equipment
- 188.8.131.52. Other Communications Equipment
- 3.5.2. Computers
- 184.108.40.206. Personal Computers
- 220.127.116.11. Tablets
- 18.104.22.168. Servers
- 22.214.171.124. Workstations
- 126.96.36.199. Storage Systems
- 188.8.131.52. Flash Drives
- 184.108.40.206. Monitors
- 220.127.116.11. Printers
- 18.104.22.168. E-Readers
- 3.5.3. Consumer
- 22.214.171.124. Televisions
- 126.96.36.199. Set-Top Boxes
- 188.8.131.52. DVD Players/Recorders
- 184.108.40.206. Digital Cameras
- 220.127.116.11. Console Video Games
- 18.104.22.168. MP3 Players
- 22.214.171.124. Personal Navigation Devices
- 3.5.4. Industrial
- 3.5.5. Medical
- 3.5.6. Automotive
- 3.5.7. Commercial Aviation, Defense, and Other Transportation
Chapter 4 - IC Packaging Overview and Total Worldwide Market Analysis
- 4.1. Chapter Overview
- 4.2. IC Package Families
- 4.2.1. A Word about Semiconductor Devices
- 4.2.2. Dual In-Line Package (DIP) Family
- 4.2.3. Small Outline (SO) Package Families
- 4.2.4. Dual Flat Pack No Lead (DFN) Package Family
- 4.2.5. Chip Carrier (CC) Family
- 4.2.6. Quad Flat Pack (QFP) Family
- 4.2.7. Quad Flat Pack No Lead (QFN) Family
- 4.2.8. Pin Grid Array (PGA) Family
- 4.2.9. Ball Grid Array (BGA) Family
- 4.2.10. Wafer-Level Package (WLP) Family
- 4.2.11. Direct Chip Attach (DCA) Family
- 4.3. Worldwide IC Packaging Revenue and Unit Forecasts
- 4.3.1. Total Market
- 4.3.2. Market by I/O Count
- 4.4. Package Pricing
Chapter 5 - IC Packaging Market Analysis by Semiconductor Device
- 5.1. Chapter Overview
- 5.2. Worldwide Semiconductor Device Revenue and Unit Forecasts
- 5.2.1. Total Market
- 5.2.2. Function
- 5.2.3. Applications
- 5.3. Microprocessors (MPUs)
- 5.4. Microcontrollers (MCUs)
- 5.4.1. 4-Bit MCUs
- 5.4.2. 8-Bit MCUs
- 5.4.3. 16-Bit MCUs
- 5.4.4. 32-Bit and Up MCUs
- 5.5. Digital Signal Processors (DSPs)
- 5.6. Memory Devices
- 5.6.1. Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM)
- 126.96.36.199. Overview of DRAM
- 188.8.131.52. Double Data Rate (DDR) DRAM
- 184.108.40.206. Graphics DDR
- 220.127.116.11. Extreme Data Rate (XDR) DRAM
- 18.104.22.168. Low Power DDR (LPDDR)
- 22.214.171.124. Wide I/O Mobile DRAM
- 5.6.2. Static Random Access Memory (SRAM)
- 5.6.3. Flash Memory
- 5.6.4. Read-Only Memory (ROM)/Erasable Programmable ROM (EPROM)
- 5.6.5. Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM (EEPROM) and Other Memory
- 5.7. Logic Devices
- 5.7.1. Digital Bipolar Devices
- 5.7.2. Standard Logic
- 5.7.3. Gate Arrays
- 5.7.4. Standard Cell and Programmable Logic Devices (PLDs)
- 5.7.5. Display Drivers
- 5.7.6. Special-Purpose Logic - Consumer Applications
- 5.7.7. Special-Purpose Logic - Computers and Peripherals Applications
- 5.7.8. Special-Purpose Logic - Communications Applications
- 5.7.9. Special-Purpose Logic - Automotive Applications
- 5.7.10. Special-Purpose Logic - Multipurpose and Other Applications
- 5.8. Analog Devices
- 5.8.1. Analog Devices - Amplifiers and Comparators
- 5.8.2. Analog Devices - Interfaces
- 5.8.3. Analog Devices - Voltage Regulators and References
- 5.8.4. Analog Devices - Data Converters
- 5.8.5. Application-Specific Analog Devices - Consumer
- 5.8.6. Application-Specific Analog Devices - Computers and Peripherals
- 5.8.7. Application-Specific Analog Devices - Communications
- 5.8.8. Application-Specific Analog Devices - Automotive
- 5.8.9. Application-Specific Analog Devices - Industrial and Other
- 5.9. Device Application Trends
- 5.9.1. Overview of Applications
- 5.9.2. Consumer Applications Forecasts
- 5.9.3. Transportation Applications Forecasts
- 5.9.4. Computer Applications Forecasts
- 5.9.5. Communications Applications Forecasts
- 5.9.6. Industrial and Other Applications Forecasts
Chapter 6 - IC Packaging Market Analysis by Package Family
- 6.1. Chapter Overview
- 6.2. IC Package Families Forecasts
- 6.2.1. Dual In-Line Package Markets
- 6.2.2. Small Outline Transistor Market
- 6.2.3. Small Outline Markets
- 6.2.4. Thin Small Outline Package Markets
- 6.2.5. Dual Flat Pack No Lead Markets
- 6.2.6. Chip Carrier Markets
- 6.2.7. Quad Flat Pack Markets
- 6.2.8. Quad Flat Pack No Lead Markets
- 6.2.9. Pin Grid Array Package Markets
- 6.2.10. Ball Grid Array Package Markets
- 6.2.11. Fine-Pitch Ball Grid Array Package Markets
- 6.2.12. Wafer-Level Packaging Markets
- 6.2.13. Direct Chip Attach Markets
- 6.3. Advanced IC Packaging
- 6.3.1. Multichip Packages
- 6.3.2. Fan-Out Wafer-Level Package (FOWLP)
- 6.3.3. Multirow QFN Packages
- 6.3.4. Flip Chip Interconnection
- 6.3.5. Through-Silicon Via Interconnect Solutions
Chapter 7 - OSAT Market and Strategy Analysis
- 7.1. Outsourcing in the Semiconductor Market
- 7.1.1. Emergence of Fabless Manufacturing
- 7.1.2. Outsourcing IC Packaging
- 7.2. OSAT Market Forecasts
- 7.2.1. OSAT Unit Shipments
- 7.2.2. OSAT Revenues
- 7.2.3. OSAT Average Packaging Prices
- 7.3. Success Strategies for OSATs
- 7.4. OSAT Market Leaders
Chapter 8 - OSAT Company Profiles
- 8.1. Overview of Profiled Companies
- 3D Plus, Inc.
- Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc.
- Advotech Company, Inc.
- AIC Semiconductor Sdn. Bhd.
- Amkor Technology, Inc.
- ANST - Wuxi China Resource Micro-Assembly Technology Co., Ltd.
- Azimuth Semiconductor Assembly
- Carsem, Inc.
- Chant World Technology, Inc.
- China Wafer Level CSP Co., Ltd.
- ChipMOS Technologies (Bermuda), Ltd.
- Cirtek Electronics Corporation
- CONNECTEC Japan Corporation
- CORWIL Technology Corporation
- Deca Technologies
- FlipChip International, LLC
- Greatek Electronics, Inc.
- Hana Microelectronics Public Company, Ltd.
- HANA Micron Co., Ltd.
- i2a Technologies, Inc.
- J-Devices Corporation
- Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.
- Lingsen Precision Industries, Ltd.
- NANIUM S.A.
- Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics Co., Ltd.
- Orient Semiconductor Electronics
- Powertech Technology, Inc.
- Shinko Electric Industries Co., Ltd.
- Signetics Corporation
- Sigurd Microelectronics Corporation
- Siliconware Precision Industries Co., Ltd.
- SPEL Semiconductor, Ltd.
- STATS ChipPAC, Ltd.
- Tera Probe, Inc.
- Tianshui Huatian Technology Co., Ltd.
- Unisem Group
- United Test and Assembly Center, Ltd.
- Vigilant Technology Co., Ltd.
- Walton Advanced Engineering, Inc.
- Xintec, Inc.
Appendix. IC Packaging/Device Matrix, 2014
Glossary of Packaging Terms
List of Figures and Tables(PARTIAL)
- IC Unit Forecast
- IC Revenue Forecast
- IC Packaging Revenue Forecast
- IC Packaging by Segment and I/O
- Price per I/O by Package Family
- Package Price Forecasts
- IC Product Forecasts
- ROM and EPROM
- EEPROM/Other Memory
- Digital Bipolar
- Standard Logic
- Gate Arrays
- Cell-Based and PLD
- Display Drivers
- Special Purpose Logic
- Voltage Regulators
- Data Converters
- Application Specific Analog
- Dual In-Line Packages by Device
- DIP Forecasts-3 I/O Ranges
- Small Outline Transistor Packages by Device
- SOT Forecasts-3 I/O Ranges
- SO Forecasts
- Thin Small Outline Packages
- TSOP Forecasts-3 I/O Ranges
- Dual Flat Pack No Lead Packages
- DFN Forecasts-2 I/O Ranges
- Chip Carrier Packages by Device
- Chip Carrier Forecasts-2 I/O Ranges
- Quad Flat Packs by Device
- QFP Forecasts-2 I/O Ranges
- Quad Flat Pack by Device
- QFN Forecasts-4 I/O Ranges
- Pin Grid Arrays by Device
- PGA Forecasts-2 I/O Ranges
- Ball Grid Array Packages by Device
- BGA Forecasts-4 I/O Ranges
- Fine Pitch Ball Grid Array by Device
- FBGA Forecasts-6 I/O Ranges
- Wafer Level Packages by Device
- WLP Forecasts-4 I/O Ranges
- Direct Chip Attach ICs by Device
- OSAT Total Forecast
- Packaging OSAT Rankings