Comprehensive Study on the Worldwide Market for Contract Manufacturing of
- Printed Electronics Technology Analysis
- Printer Manufacturing Equipment Market Size
- Electronic Material and Thin Film Market Size
- Worldwide Printed Electronics Market Analysis, 2012
- Leading Products and Applications
- Analysis by 10 Industry Segments
- Functional Commercial Products
- Worldwide Printed Electronics Market Forecasts, 2012 -2017
- 10 Industry Segments
- 40 Leading Market Applications
- Company Profiles (185 Printed Electronics Firms)
- Equipment Companies/Suppliers
- Materials Companies/Suppliers
- Solution/Integration Companies/Suppliers
The worldwide printed electronics (PE) market has been over-hyped and
inaccurately forecast for over a decade. Yet PE still holds much potential and
is now starting to show promise and commercialization. New Venture Research
(NVR) has been following this emerging market for the last five years and the
contract electronic manufacturing services market for more than 20 years. As a
result of our extensive industry contacts and recent field interviews in PE,
NVR is in a position to put a realistic stake in the ground with regard to the
leading PE market applications and their potential for future growth.
This latest report - Contract Manufacturing Opportunities in Printed
Electronics - 2013 Edition - is a comprehensive market analysis of emerging PE
technologies and applications, and leverages our in-depth database of contract
electronics manufacturing services (EMS) suppliers and markets built up over
the past two decades. EMS suppliers are the best positioned to capitalize on
the most promising PE opportunities, of which we have identified over 40
leading application areas. This report analyzes the highest potential products
by end customer that stand to win out over traditional semiconductor and
material technologies. This is because PE is creating a standalone market of
its own as well as displacing some traditional semiconductor electronics.
Certain market applications have clear economic and commercial advantages over
the next five years (the only period that can be reasonably forecast).
Chapter 3 begins with a technical analysis of the most popular material
technologies including organic and inorganic thin film transistors and other
forms of printable circuits. The chapter moves on to discuss the various kinds
of equipment that are used to print and layer these thin films, especially ink
jet and screen printer technology which are used for the majority of PE
applications today. A summary of the total equipment market by revenue is
provided for 2012. The section concludes with an examination of substrates and
the field of e-paper and related displays.
Chapter 4 explores and analyzes the PE market for conductive inks and thin
films. Currently, the vast majority of conductive materials are composed of
silver flake along with corresponding dielectrics for insulation. Other
materials such as carbon/graphene, copper, gold, platinum, and carbon
nanotube/silver/copper nanowire are explored. A table of all the worldwide
conductive inks is summarized in terms of revenue for 2012 along with a table
of conductive inks by industry segment.
Chapter 5 identifies and explores the leading product applications for PE
products among ten industry segments and in context with the entire contract
manufacturing market. Leading product applications are analyzed for both
traditional electronics assembly and advanced PE manufacturing production.
Chapter 6 forecasts the future for PE products for 40 different product
applications, contrasting the highest potential PE products against
traditional semiconductor electronics. All PE product applications are
summarized in the final chapter, including a ranking of the strongest markets
in descending order of growth. The highest growth markets are projected to
expand over 125% CAGR, while others are as low as only 5% CAGR, from
2012-2017. Overall, the market for PE products will triple over the next five
years, reaching nearly $10 billion in assembly revenue value by 2017.
Chapter 7 analyzes the leading PE companies and suppliers in three ways -
equipment manufacturers, advanced materials/thin film providers, and
solution/integration companies that develop technical solutions or can
successfully integrate one or more PE technologies. In all, 185 PE companies
are profiled in this report and are organized according to category.
About the Author
Randall Sherman is the principal analyst and president of New Venture Research
Corp., a technology market research and business consulting firm focused on
the EMS and OEM electronics manufacturing industries. Mr. Sherman has more
than 25 years' experience in technology and business research. He began his
career as a telecom network design engineer and he holds an undergraduate
degree in Astrophysics. He also holds two master's degrees - an MSEE from the
University of Colorado and an MBA from the Edinburgh School of Business.
Before NVR, he held senior positions at various market research firms
including Creative Strategies, Frost and Sullivan, and BIS Strategic Decisions.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Executive Summary
- EMS Market and Forecast
- PE Industry Market Forecast
- PE Market Application Forecast
Chapter 3: PE Technology Analysis
- Organic and Thin Film Technology
- Organic Transistors
- Polymer Electronics
- Inorganic Materials and Composites
- Inorganic Transistors
- Printable Electronics
- PE Manufacturing Equipment
- Off-set Lithography
- Screen printing
- E-Paper and Displays
Chapter 4: PE Materials Market, 2012
- Conductive Inks
- Conductive Films
- Organic/inorganic transistors, polymers, et al
Chapter 5: PE Market Applications, 2012
- The Worldwide Contract Manufacturing Services
- Consumer Electronics
- Displays and Lighting
- Technical Issues
- Display Applications
- Non-Emissive Displays
- Technical Issues
- Packaging/Label Applications
- Photovoltaic's (PV)
- Technical Issues
- PV Market Applications
- Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs)
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Technical Issues
- RFID Market Applications
- PE Market Summary
Chapter 6: PE Market Forecasts
- Worldwide Contract Manufacturing Services Market, 2011-2016
- PE for Consumer Electronics, 2012-2017
- PE for Displays and Lighting, 2012-2017
- PE for Medical Products, 2012-2017
- PE for Packaging, 2012-2017
- PE for Photovoltaics, 2012-2017
- PE for PCBs, 2012-2017
- PE for RFID, 2012-2017
- PE for Textiles/Clothing, 2012-2017
- PE for Transportation, 2012-2017
- PE for Other General Applications, 2012-2017
- PE Market Forecast Summary, 2012-2017
- PE Leading Applications in Descending Order of Growth, 2012-2017
List of Figures
- Figure 3-1 - Throughput vs. Resolution for Different Printing Processes
- Figure 3-2 - Flexographic Print Technology
- Figure 3-3 - Gravure Print Technology
- Figure 3-4 - Inkjet Print Technology
- Figure 3-5 - Industrial Inkjet Printer Applications for Printed Electronics
- Figure 3-6 - Offset Lithography Print Technology
- Figure 3-7 - Screen Printing Technology
- Figure 3-8 - Summary of PE Screen Printer Technology Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-1 - PE Manufacturing Supply Chain, 2012 Figure 5-2 Examples of PE
Applications for Consumer Electronics, 2012
- Figure 5-3 - Examples of Flexible Electrophoretic and OLED PE Displays,
- Figure 5-4 - Examples of Medical PE Sensor Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-5 - Examples of PE Packaging Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-6 - Examples of PE PV Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-7 - Examples of PE for PCB Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-8 - Examples of PE for RFID Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-9 - Examples of PE for Textile/Clothing Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-10 - Examples of PE for Transportation Applications, 2012
- Figure 5-11 - Example of PE for Other Applications, 2012
List of Tables
- Table 3-1 - Summary of US Industrial Printers by Application and
- Table 3-2 - Summary of PE Print Technologies by Performance Feature, 2012
- Table 4-1 - Worldwide PE Materials Market by Product, 2012
- Table 4-2 - Worldwide PE Conductive Inks Market by Application, 2012
- Table 5-1 - Worldwide Electronics Assembly Market by Manufacturing Supplier,
- Table 5-2 - Worldwide Electronics Assembly Market by Supplier and Market
- Table 5-3 - Worldwide Electronics Assembly Market by Supplier and Geographic
- Table 5-4 - Potential Applications for PE Electrophoretic and OLED
- Table 5-6 - Examples of Intelligent Packaging Under Development
- Table 5-7 - Worldwide Packaging Market by Industry, 2012
- Table 5-8 - Worldwide Packaging Market by Material, 2012
- Table 5-9 - Worldwide PV Module Assembly Market, 2012
- Table 5-10 - Worldwide PE Assembly Market by Application, 2012
- Table 6-11 - Worldwide Electronics Assembly Market by Manufacturing Supplier,
- Table 6-2 - Worldwide Electronics Assembly Market by Supplier and Market
- Table 6-3 - Worldwide Appliance Assembly Market by Leading Supplier and
Region ($M), 2011
- Table 6-4 - Worldwide PE Appliance Assembly Market by Application ($M),
- Table 6-5 - Worldwide PE Display and Lighting Assembly Market by Application
- Table 6-6 - Worldwide Medical Assembly Market by Leading Supplier and Region
- Table 6-7 - Worldwide PE Medical Assembly Market by Application ($M),
- Table 6-8 - Worldwide PE Packaging Assembly Market by Application ($M),
- Table 6-9 - Worldwide PV Assembly Market by Leading Supplier and
Manufacturing Region ($M), 2011
- Table 6-10 - Worldwide PV Assembly Market for PE by Application ($M),
- Table 6-11 - Worldwide PCB Assembly Market for PE by Application ($M),
- Table 6-12 - Worldwide RFID Market by Component ($B), 2012
- Table 6-13 - Worldwide RFID Assembly Market for PE by Application ($M),
- Table 6-14 - Worldwide Textile Assembly Market for PE by Application ($M),
- Table 6-15 - Worldwide Transportation Assembly Market for PE by Application
- Table 6-16 - Worldwide Other Assembly Markets for PE by Application ($M),
- Table 6-17 - Worldwide PE Market by Industry Segment ($M), 2012-2017
- Table 6-18 - Worldwide PE Assembly Market by Application ($M), 2012-2017
- Table 6-19 - Worldwide PE Assembly Market by Application Leading CAGR
List of PE Companies Profiled
- Advanced Nano Products
- Applied Nanotech
- Asahi Glass Co.
- Asahi Kasei
- Blue Nano
- Carestream Advanced
- Cima Nanotech
- Creative Materials
- Dai Nippon Printing
- DayStar Technologies
- Delta Optoelectronics
- Dow Chemical
- DuPont Microcircuit Mat.
- Eastman Kodak
- Electric Vinyl, Inc.
- Electronic Paper and Tech.
- Ferro Corp.
- FUJIFILM Holdings Corp.
- Gwent Group
- H. C. Starck
- Heliatek GmbH
- Hitachi Chemical
- Indium Corporation
- Infineon Technologies
- Int'l Solar Elect. Tech.
- Intrinsiq Materials
- Konarka Technologies
- LG Philips LCD Co., Ltd.
- Liquid X Printed Metals
- Luminous Media, Ltd.
- MEMC Electronic Materials
- Microvision, Inc.
- Mirwec Films
- NanoInk, Inc.
- NanoMas Technology
- Nissan Chemical Ind.
- Novaled AG
- Ormecon GmbH
- OSRAM GmbH
- PolyIC GmbH & Co. KG
- QUALCOMM MEMS
- Samsung Electronics
- Sumitomo Chemical
- Sun Chemical
- Toshiba Mobile Display
- Unidym, Inc.
- Victrex Polymer
- Vorbeck Materials
- AIXTRON AG
- Applied Materials
- Conductive Inkjet Tech.
- Dainippon Screen Printing
- DEK Printing Machines
- Dialog Semiconductor
- FUJIFILM Dimatix
- Fuji Xerox Co.
- Goss International Americas
- Haiku Tech
- Hewlett Packard
- Johnson Laminating & Coat
- Kammann Machines
- Konica Minolta
- Landa Corporation
- MacDermid Printing
- MAN Roland
- Mark Andy, Inc.
- Merck Millipore
- Midori Mark Co., Ltd.
- NXT PLC
- Ohio Gravure Technologies
- PixDro BV
- Preco, Inc.
- Printcolor Screen Ltd.
- Roth & Rau
- Schreiner PrinTronics
- Seiko Epson
- SiPix Imaging, Inc.
- Speedline Technologies
- ST Microelectronics
- Sung An Machinery
- Taiyo Ink Mfg. Co., Ltd.
- Thieme GmbH & Co.
- Tokyo Electron, Ltd.
- Toppan Printing Co.
- Universal Display Corporation
- Veeco Instruments
- Xerox Corporation
- Ascend Solar
- Blue Spark
- Bosch Solar
- Cambridge Display
- Canadian Solar
- China Sunenergy
- E Ink
- Energy Conversion Devices
- EV Group
- First Solar
- Front Edge
- Frontier Industrial Technology
- Fuji Electric
- G24 Innovations
- Global Solar Energy
- GSI Technologies
- Imprint Energy
- Infinite Power Solutions
- KSW Microtec
- Memtron Input Components
- NRG Solar
- Ormet Circuits, Inc.
- Plastic Logic
- Power Paper, Ltd.
- PragmatIC Printing
- ReneSola, Ltd.
- Sharp Corporation
- Solar Frontier
- Sontor GmbH
- Sumation Co., Ltd.
- T-Ink, Inc.
- Thin Film Electronics