Product Code: 67780
The form-fill-seal packaging machine market is expected to reach a CAGR of 6.82% over the forecast period from 2021 - 2026. Continuous automatic Form-fill-seal (FFS) packaging machine is currently one of the most popular packaging machine types being used in the packaging industry. It has the advantage of high speed and efficiency compared to individual machines for forming, filling, and sealing of products. As consumer-packaged goods companies struggle with employee retention, machinery that helps with changeovers and troubleshooting problems is on the rise. FFS packaging machines now come with motion control and human-machine interfaces (HMIs), making it easier to execute the process.
- Today's shoppers expect multiple choices in products and the type of packaging. That is one of the reasons a brand's number of SKUs is increasing. Also, flexible packaging continuing to dominate on rigid containers in several categories demands versatility and speedy changeover for machines that make these packages high. Consumers are seeking simpler, less-processed clean label food products, as well as local ones, prompting many vendors to enter the market with unique creations that have limited retail distribution and are sold mostly online. As a result, food processing companies, including contract manufacturers, face a proliferation of shorter product runs and the need for frequent equipment changeovers. In this case, FFS machines are emerging as an ideal solution.
- Individually Quick Frozen (IQF) snack, fresh-cut, and cheese applications typically require a longer seal time in the manufacturing of its packaging. This is why FFS machines are engineered to perform exceptionally well in these industries. The rise in demand for pet food packaging drives the market. The growing aseptic packaging industry also drives the market due to the potential of packaging to cater to the need for high and uniform product quality, higher nutrient retention, and avoid the bisphenol A (BPA) controversy. VFFS packaging machines occupy less floor space on the factory floor than horizontal packaging machines and deliver speed and accuracy of operations across the food and pharmaceutical industries. These machines have sophisticated features such as computer interfaces and control systems, which make them easy to program and monitor.
- There have been continuous product improvements by the players, which is causing them to remain competitive. In January 2020, Serac introduced Modulo nozzle on FFS packaging lines. The Modulo nozzle consists of a fixed part and several heads that are selected according to the product's texture and changed quickly. It is specially designed for yogurts and dairy dessert manufacturers as they experiment with various flavors. In June 2020, ExxonMobil collaborated with Syntegon Technology India Private Limited for an FFS packaging trial. Trials were conducted on an SVZ 1803AR high-speed intermittent-motion vertical FFS machine. The compact, versatile, and operator-friendly bag maker consistently produces accurate bags and quality seals with a robust design suitable for abrasive and corrosive products.
- The outbreak of COVID-19 has positively impacted the market growth, especially for food and beverage and pharmaceutical packaging machinery vendors. This is because of the increased demand for various food products and medicines from both online and offline channels. Packaging companies are working round the clock to fulfilling the increased request since people are purchasing in bulk to avoid frequent visits and stock up the products in case of any extended quarantine. For instance, according to Bring! LABS AG, The demand for flour and rice was unusually high as of March 2020. As per IRI, Fresh and processed meat was the fastest growing fresh food category during the coronavirus outbreak in the United States in the four weeks ending April 5, 2020. Fresh and processed meat sales grew by 41.2% compared to the previous year.
Key Market Trends
Horizontal Form Fill Seal Equipment Expected to Gain High Market Growth
- Horizontal Form-fill-seal (HFFS) machines are preferably used in the packaging of substantial items. These machines are designed with two molding stations and two sealing stations so that changing from one size of pack to another can be done automatically with no downtime. The product mostly uses for packaging is the stand-up pouch bag. Moreover, the HFFS packaging machine is used when the product is fragile and cannot withstand a high drop. Companies prefer these machines when the customer demands a stand-up pouch or a pouch with a zipper or with a spout that facilitates easy opening and comfortable consumption of products.
- The growing demand for packaged food and the cost-effectiveness of flexible packaging solutions is expected to drive the demand for pouches. According to numbers generated by a Harris Poll chartered by the Flexible Packaging, 83% of all brand owners currently use flexible packaging of some type. This supports the growth of the pouch packaging market, which effectively grows the demand for HFFS machines. With new integrated technology, these HFFS machines are getting more advanced in enabling the adjustment of external factors. For instance, Loesch Verpackungstechnik provides a high-performance horizontal form fill seal machine for primary packaging of chocolate bars, granola bars, and protein bars.
- It has intelligent control, a self-regulating control architecture enabling automatic parameter adjustments for fluctuating factors during operation (temperature, humidity, product characteristics), from rational product feeding to product discharge. It is ideally suited for sticky packaging products such as cereal bars and protein bars. In February 2020, ULMA Packaging UK upgraded its machine portfolio to launch the FM300C HFFS flow wrapper, which is designed for whole chicken packaging. It has an extra 25 mm height capacity which increases the jaw opening size to 200 mm, to deal with the packaging of large poultry such as Turkey,
- According to the Association for Packaging and Processing, Horizontal form fill seal machinery is projected to attribute high demand during the forecast period in the United States. With factors considering such as sustainability and eco-friendly environment, various new technological advancements in HFFS machinery is expected during the forecast period. For instance, in September 2019, Mespack, a member of the Duravant family of operating companies, partnered with Dow to develop more efficient packaging solutions, enabling next-generation packaging, designed for recyclability and sustainability. Dow showcased Mespak's horizontal form fill seal machine at its Freeport, Texas, United States, where the line is expected to expedite projects for recyclable stand up pouches with customers and brand owners in North America.
Asia-Pacific to Witness High Market Growth
- Asia-Pacific to witness high market growth due to the presence of several emerging economies such as China and India, growing population, rising disposable income, and expansion of the food & beverage industry in the region are contributing to the market growth. Besides, changing lifestyles and the development of multi-national food retailers in the region also drives the growth of the bags market, which contributes to the more usage of form fill seal machinery.
- Moreover, the various global leader in the market, supply their machinery in the Asian market which contributes to the market growth. For instance, HDG Verpackungsmaschinen GmbH, a German-based company, is one of the market leaders in the manufacturing of HFFS Pouch Packaging Machinery since 1984. Their machines are capable of forming and packing in styles like a 3-side pouch, 4-side pouch, stand-up in doy pack pouch, 4-side double pouch with perforation, etc. The company is in pharma sector packaging, and most of the revenue is being generated through the Asia market due to a higher supply of machinery in countries such as China, India, Japan, etc.
- Also, various companies are adding more product packaging solutions to increase their customer base and generate more revenue. In June 2020, ExxonMobil collaborated with Syntegon Technology India Private Limited for an FFS packaging trial. Trials were conducted on an SVZ 1803AR high-speed intermittent-motion vertical FFS machine. The compact, versatile, and operator-friendly bag maker consistently produces accurate bags and quality seals with a robust design suitable for abrasive and corrosive products.
- In May 2019, at India International Dairy Expo (IIDE) 2019, Nichrome, Pune based company announced that they have diversified beyond their core expertise of offering from form fill seal solutions. The company is a pioneer in manufacturing form fill seal machines in India for pouches. Now they offer secondary packaging solutions like bottle, jar, and tin filling lines in India. Moreover, the company has diversified beyond food to pharma and specialty products such as seeds and other agricultural products. This will attract the number of a customer base, which will effectively contribute to the market growth.
The form-fill-seal packaging machine market is fragmented as the major manufacturers in the market face stiff competition from smaller players. The companies present in the market are competing on price, distribution network, innovation, and brand reputation. Also, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and technological innovations are some of the primary strategies adopted by these companies to ensure long-term growth. Key players are Winpak Ltd., HDG Verpackungsmaschinen GmbH, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- February 2020 - Bossar has partnered with AlliedFlex Technologies as their primary North American Sales and Marketing Partner to look after their complete Pouch Packaging Systems Program. Bossar's key developments include its new series of fully servo-controlled HFFS machines and their eco-friendly series with sanitary construction that offers various advantages over more conventional mechanical operating machines.
- December 2019 - HQ Equita has acquired a majority stake in WOLF Verpackungsmaschinen GmbH, a manufacturer of vertical form, fill and seal machines for food, industrial goods, and chemicals. The acquisition strengthens the company's investment in packaging that included the 2018 acquisition of a majority stake in FAWEMA and HDG. In the future, WOLF, FAWEMA, and HDG all three companies will operate as a group of companies to develop specific packaging solutions for customers.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview (covers COVID-19 impact)
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Growing Demand of Aseptic Packaging Industry
- 4.2.2 Rise in Demand of Pet Food Packaging
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Uneconomical for the Low Density Products
- 4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Equipment Type
- 5.1.1 Vertical Form Fill Seal Equipment
- 5.1.2 Horizontal Form Fill Seal Equipment
- 5.2 By End-User
- 5.2.1 Food & Beverage
- 5.2.2 Pharmaceutical
- 5.2.3 Personal & Household Care
- 5.2.4 Other End-Users
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.3.4 Latin America
- 5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Winpak Ltd.
- 6.1.2 HDG Verpackungsmaschinen GmbH
- 6.1.3 Rees Machinery Group
- 6.1.4 Sacmi Imola S. C.
- 6.1.5 Haver Continental Ltd
- 6.1.6 Mega Plast GmbH
- 6.1.7 Arpac LLC
- 6.1.8 Mespack SL
- 6.1.9 MDC Engineering, Inc.
- 6.1.10 Busch Machinery, Inc.
- 6.1.11 Rovema GmbH
- 6.1.12 Fres-co System USA Inc.
- 6.1.13 ProMach (Matrix Packaging Machinery, LLC)
- 6.1.14 PFM Group
- 6.1.15 Ohlson Packaging, Inc.
- 6.1.16 Viking Masek Global Packaging
- 6.1.17 Chung Shan Machinery Works Co Ltd
- 6.1.18 Nichrome Packaging Solutions
- 6.1.19 Ossid LLC
- 6.1.20 Triangle Package Machinery Company
- 6.1.21 Bossar Packaging S.A
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET