Product Code: 71244
The distribution feeder automation system market is expected to rise at a CAGR of more than 2% during 2020 - 2025. Factors such as a strong focus on electricity distribution fault reduction, demand for reliable and uninterrupted power supply, and an increase in energy demand to drive the distribution feeder automation system market. However, complex architecture and irregularities in the outage-reporting, especially in dense regions, are expected to be a cause of concern and may restrain the market.
- The hardware sector is expected to be a significant segment in the forecast period. The segment is used to pinpoint faults in the transmission and distribution network adequately so that the power is restored effectively in lesser time. Increasing advancements and reliability are expected to aid the growth of the market.
- Growing improvements in the use of software and internet-of-things are expected to increase the reliability of the distribution feeder automation system. They may act as an opportunity for the market players.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market in the forecast period due to its large public utility sector and increasing demand for energy. China and India are expected to be the largest users of the distribution feeder automation system in the region.
Key Market Trends
Hardware to be a Significant Segment
- The goal of distribution automation in the utility grid is the real-time adjustment to changing loads, distributed generation, and failure conditions within the distribution grid, usually without operator intervention. Hardware used in the functioning forms an essential part of the architecture used to achieve the set objectives.
- Distribution feeder automation is an integral part of system-level automation in contemporary power distribution networks, which improves reliability using smart grid technology. The feeder establishes a connection between the substation and end-users without any tapping. Most of the faults occur on feeder lines as these are exposed to harmful environmental conditions. Thus, utility companies are increasingly opting for feeder automation hardware, which comprises an assembly of numerous smart relays and switching equipment that can viably sustain the harmful conditions.
- Increasing demand for reliable and uninterrupted supply by the consumers has led to a rise in the use of advanced technologies like distribution feeder automation systems. Hardware accessories have helped different consumers in the commercial and industrial sectors to reduce their losses due to power loss by indicating and resolving an issue in a smaller time frame.
- In 2018, ABB Ltd. launched the all-in-one protection and control relay REX640 and the smart substation control and protection device SSC600. Both of these products are highly advanced in their adaptability and reliability. They have been made customizable to be able to configure for the customer's needs. More advancements are expected to be made and create new avenues for growth in the market.
- Primary energy consumption in the world increased by 1.3% to 583.9 Exajoules, in 2019 from 576.23 Exajoules, in 2018. The energy consumption is expected to increase further in the forecast period and may drive the utility sector in the distribution feeder automation system market.
- Hence, the hardware segment is expected to be a significant segment in the market during the forecast period due to the increase in energy consumption and advancements being made in the equipment.
Asia Pacific Region is expected to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region consists of the largest installed capacity generation of energy in the world. Optimization of the large grid requires the usage of solutions like the distribution feeder automation system, which is expected is expected to provide for the use and growth of the market.
- Asia-Pacific region is the most populous region with densely packed cities. Such areas require a broad set of hardware and reliable software as the network used can often be a misleading or high level of inaccuracy due to a large number of connections that may be formed between the hardware system. To increase accuracy, many companies are generating different models and devices to pinpoint the fault in the transmission and distribution network.
- The Asia-Pacific utility companies usually have a vast customer network spread on a large area, which requires the need to manage the power failures due to faults as they happen. Access to the information reduces the time taken to put the grid back online and also, provides a mechanism that Improves consumer handling and satisfaction, thereby maximizing customer retention and increasing the profit for the electricity distributor, contributing to the growth of the market.
- Primary energy consumption in the Asia-Pacific region increased by 3.3% to 257.56 Exajoules, in 2019 from 249.35 Exajoules, in 2018. The energy consumption is expected to increase further in the forecast period and may drive the distribution feeder automation system market.
- Hence, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the distribution feeder automation system market due to the increase in the investments in the market related to the smart grid and rising primary energy consumption in the region.
The distribution feeder automation system market is fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include ABB Ltd., General Electric Company, Schneider Electric SA, Siemens AG, and Eaton Corporation Inc
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Scope of the Study
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Study Assumptions
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2025
- 4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4.5 Market Dynamics
- 4.5.1 Drivers
- 4.5.2 Restraints
- 4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
- 4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Application
- 5.1.1 Software
- 5.1.2 Hardware
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 South America
- 5.2.3 Europe
- 5.2.4 Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 ABB Ltd.
- 6.3.2 General Electric Company
- 6.3.3 Eaton Corporation Inc
- 6.3.4 Schneider Electric SA
- 6.3.5 Siemens AG
- 6.3.6 G&W Electric Company
- 6.3.7 Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
- 6.3.8 Moxa Inc.
- 6.3.9 Trilliant Holdings Inc.
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS