Product Code: 68550
The Global Diamond Coating Market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Several countries were forced to go in lockdown owing to the pandemic scenario, which led to the shutdown of manufacturing facilities of almost every industry worldwide for a specified time. Electronics industry, which is one of the major consumers of diamond coating was immensely affected. The electronics supply chain was already in the throes of disruption before the outbreak. The tariff war between the United States and China forced the relocation of some high-profile electronics manufacturers from China to to Southeast Asia. Then with the pandemic happening, the production of electronics were halted due to a logistical slowdown and a lack of workforce availability around the world. Furthermore, disruptions to supply chains, caused further shipment delays for electronics manufacturers thereby affecting the market studied. However, the industry srarted to revive in the later half of 2020.
- Over the long term, the major factor driving the market is the increasing demand from the consumer electronics industry.
- On the flip side, high capital investment is expected to hinder the growth of the diamond coatings market.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from the Electrical and Electronics Industry
- Diamond coatings find extensive use in consumer electronics owing to its properties, such as high thermal conductivity, strength, electrical resistivity, and low coefficient of friction.
- Diamond is the hardest material and it possesses unique qualities, such as high thermal conductivity, high resistivity, and low coefficient of friction. These properties make diamonds suitable for diverse applications. However, the extensive use of diamond for these applications would be costly, so technologies like CVD and PVD were developed to make the process feasible.
- Diamond-like carbon or diamond coating is a kind of amorphous carbon which hold the properties of diamond such as high electrical resistivity making it favorable for new generation high-performance consumer electronics gadgets.
- With the advent of new technologies, the global electronics industry has been under pressure to deliver better every time. New technologies like 5G, Internet of Things, and augmented virtual reality rely on materials that are strong and difficult to machine.
- The electronics industry is continuously making remarkable progress and development, the demand for the market studied is growing, rapidly. The production of cellular phones, portable computing devices, gaming systems and other personal electronic devices will continue to spark the demand for semiconductors, capacitors and other electronic components.
- According to Zentralverband Elektrotechnik- und Elektronikindustrie e.V. (ZVEI), the German Electrical And Electronic Manufacturers' Association, the global electric production was at EUR 4.2 trillion in 2017, which increased by EUR 4.4 trillion in 2018 and was further estimated to reach EUR 4.5 trillion in 2019. However, the industry was estimated to decline to EUR 4.4 trillion by 2020 end, severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2019, the industry registered a growth rate of more than 2% which declined to -3% (estimated) in 2020, but is expected to recover and reach to more than 6% in 2021.
- Hence, owing to the aforementioned factors and the rising demand for diamond coating from electrical and electronics industry all over the world, the market is expected to grow during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest and fastest-growing market, owing to the huge demand of the market studied from various end-user industries in the region.
- China dominates the electronics production in the global market. The country's electronics production, which was steadily increasing through the years, has recently suffered from deceleration owing to the ongoing trade war between China and the United States, forcing various electronics producers to shift their base from China to other countries in the Asia-Pacific region. However, the country still continues to dominate the electronics produciton in the global market,
- In India, the electronics production was valued at around USD 63.62 billion in 2018-2019. The National Policy on Electronics 2019 planned to advance local assembling and fare in the whole worth chain of Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) to accomplish a turnover of USD 400 billion by 2025. India is expected to become the fifth-largest consumer electronics and appliances industry in the world by 2025. Additionally, in India, technology transitions, such as the rollout of 4G/LTE networks and IoT (Internet of Things), are driving the adoption of electronics products.
- The growing medical industry in the region further has increased the demand for diamond-coated medical devices and equipment and this is expected to propel the market studied in the region.
- The market for medical devices is expected to rise the fastest in Asia-Pacific due to rapid growth in the healthcare segment in the region. India is an attractive destination for healthcare tourism and is known for its economical treatment. This has led to increase of healthcare segment in the region, which in turn has increased the demand for the market studied from medical device industry.
- In India, the government anticipated that healthcare industry to register three-fold growth to USD 133.44 billion by 2022. Moreover, the government is planning to increase public health expenditure to 2.5% of the country's GDP by 2025.
- The medical device market in China has been witnessing strong growth with a growing number of hospitals and increasing demand for medical assistance. According to the China Association for Medical Device Industry, the medical device market size was recorded to be around ~USD 80 billion in 2019. About 70% of the growth was majorly fueled by hospital procurement.
- Medical devices are found to constitute a thriving industry in Thailand, with the country acclaimed as a major healthcare hub in Asia. Thailand, as a leader in Asia, is found to be playing a vital role in many regional and international organizations, dedicated to promoting the advancement of medical devices in the area. Most of the medical devices manufactured in Thailand for export fall into the category of single-use devices and approximately 84% of the revenue of all medical supplies exported are in this group.
- All the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the growth of the diamond coating market in the region, during the forecast period.
The diamond coating market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the key players of the market studied include NeoCoat SA, Element Six (UK) Ltd, SP3 Diamond Tech, United Protective Technologies, LLC, and OC Oerlikon Management AG.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Demand for Consumer Electronics
- 4.1.2 Other Drivers
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 High Capital Investment
- 4.2.2 Unfavourable conditions arising due to COVID-19 Outbreak
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Technology
- 5.1.1 Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD)
- 5.1.2 Physical Vapour Deposition (PVD)
- 5.2 End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Electrical and Electronics
- 5.2.2 Medical
- 5.2.3 Industrial
- 5.2.4 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China
- 188.8.131.52 India
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.2 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 5.3.3 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 Germany
- 220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
- 18.104.22.168 France
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.4 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
- 5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Crystallume
- 6.4.2 Diamond Product Solutions
- 6.4.3 Element Six UK Ltd.
- 6.4.4 JCS Technologies Pte Ltd
- 6.4.5 John Crane
- 6.4.6 NeoCoat SA
- 6.4.7 OC Oerlikon Management AG
- 6.4.8 SP3 Diamond Tech
- 6.4.9 Surface Technology, Inc.
- 6.4.10 United Protective Technologies, LLC
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS