Product Code: 70190
K-12 Education Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 31.6% during the forecast period 2021 to 2026. The market is driven by schools shifting from the traditional blackboard approach to integrating smart technology into learning environments. The learning trend encompasses a broad range of activities, tools, and services, which are aiming to improve the educational outcomes of students.
- The increasing job opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields have boosted the demand for STEM education. Students who successfully score high grades in competitive examinations are eligible for admission into higher educational institutions. Hence, parents, students, and various stakeholders are placing greater emphasis on basic STEM education in schools across the world.
- Factors such as technological advances and the rising use of Big Data have increased the popularity of learning analytics in the educational industry. The adoption of learning analytics helps educational institutions to offer a personalized form of learning. Moreover, robots can also help children that are homeschooled or teach in areas where human experts are short in supply. For instance, English-speaking robots were introduced to some 500 Japanese classrooms in 2019 to serve this purpose. In South Korea, a robot, Robosem, is teaching English where certified English teachers are rare.
- Governments initiatives to improve the quality of education at the K-12 level across the world is expected to drive the market growth. For instance, Saudi Arabia is its "Vision 2030" aim to increase the share of private education to 25% by 2030. In order to achieve that, the government also allowed 100% foreign business ownership in 2017, to gradually ease the ownership restrictions on foreign firms, which were previously required to set up joint ventures with local partners. This will attract global private K-12 providers in the country.
- The recent COVID-19 outbreak also impacted the global education industry. The pandemic is anticipated to have enormous economic consequences, and it is also having a devastating impact on global education. According to the latest figures released by the UNESCO, 1.3 billion learners around the world were not able to attend schools, as of March 23, 2020.
Key Market Trends
Online Learning to Drive the Market Growth
- Software solutions provide institutions with well-organized enterprise resource planning systems that help faculty members build improved courses and manage classrooms and schools proficiently. Online education platforms create virtual classrooms, enabling teachers to manage a large audience without any budget constraint. Online education offers students more one-on-one time with their instructors. And, most K-12 online programs are inexpensive or even tuition-free.
- Mobile devices are growing for smart learning due to their portability and convenience regarding accessing content and social interactions. Also, students and teachers communicate effectively and efficiently with simple clicks to obtain feedbacks. The learning outcomes for both ability and knowledge can be smartly measured and observed through the latest ICT technologies.
- In January 2020, Tiger Global Management invested USD 200 million in education app Byju's, valuing the Bengaluru-headquartered company at about $8 billion. Byju's are pioneering technology, shaping the future of learning for millions of school students in India.
Asia-Pacific to Have Significant Market Share
- In the Asia-Pacific region, the K-12 education market is growing at a fast rate owing to the adoption of online learning by millions of learners. Several countries are putting their entire K-12 curriculum online. The growth is driven mainly by countries like China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, among others.
- The growing demand for test preparation and standardization of competitive tests are a few of the factors contributing to the K-12 education market growth in this region. The rising competition in STEM competitive examinations will also boost the demand for the K-12 education market.
- Moreover, various government initiative by many countries in the region is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. For instance, the government of India plans to establish the Atal Tinkering Laboratories (ATL) in schools across the country with an aim to foster creativity, curiosity, and imagination in young children. It will also help children in inculcating skills such as computational thinking, design mindset, adaptive learning, physical computing, etc.
- Under this initiative, children will get a chance to work with various tools and equipment to understand the basic and advanced concepts of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). Students in the ATL's will be equipped with educational and learning kits and equipment on science consisting of robotics, electronics, open-source microcontroller boards, sensors with 3D printers, and computers.
K-12 Education Market is fragmented in nature as there are many companies competing for market share. Major players include McGraw-Hill Education, Pearson Education Inc., K12 Inc., among others. Few recent developments are:
- May 2020 - K12 Inc. has provided more than 150,000 students, families, and teachers in the US with access to free educational and instructional tools and resources during the coronavirus pandemic. Despite nationwide school closures, the company is helping students and teachers get back to school this academic year.
- March 2020 - In view of the coronavirus scare, Indian ed-tech major BYJU'S announced to provide free access to its complete app to school students till April. The company registered an immediate three times increase in the number of users. As many as six million new students joined the platform in March alone.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.1.1 Growing Popularity of Online Learning
- 5.2 Market Challenges
- 5.2.1 Lack of Infrastructure and Limited Awareness on E-learning
- 5.3 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By Type
- 6.1.1 Public K-12 Education
- 6.1.2 Private K-12 Education
- 6.1.3 Online K-12 Education
- 6.2 By Application
- 6.2.1 Pre-Primary School
- 6.2.2 Primary School
- 6.2.3 Middle School
- 6.2.4 High School
- 6.3 By Geography
- 6.3.1 North America
- 6.3.2 Europe
- 6.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.3.4 Middle-East and Africa
- 6.3.5 Latin America
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 McGraw-Hill Education
- 7.1.2 Pearson Education Inc.
- 7.1.3 Cengage Learning India Pvt. Ltd.
- 7.1.4 K12 Inc.
- 7.1.5 Blackboard Inc.
- 7.1.6 Tata Class Edge
- 7.1.7 Educomp Solutions
- 7.1.8 Next Education India Pvt. Ltd.
- 7.1.9 Adobe Systems
- 7.1.10 TAL Education Group
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 FUTURE OF THE MARKET