Product Code: 69603
The bus seat market is anticipated to register a CAGR of about 5% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- The rapid urbanization, growth in international and national tourism industry, urban traffic congestion, shifting mobility patterns, government promoting public transport, are anticipated to fuel the demand of the bus seats in the forecast period. Buses are one of the safest, convenient, greenest, most user-friendly, affordable mode of transport for short as well as long-distance transport. Although bus production has decreased in 2019 by 3.3% to 271,204 as compared to 280,387 in 2018 owing to the global economic crisis and the US and China trade conflict.
- Bus seating is noticing various technological advancements as more and more electrics and hybrids buses are being launched and being adopted in different countries, buses have to shift towards lightweight components and systems. Standard seats come with features like the individual armrest, seat pockets, coat hangers but now there is an increasing demand for light-weight seats with features such as USB charging points, horizontal movement of seats, vertical grab handles on the seatback and lumbar support.
- Different local governments have different innovative plans to promote public transport, such as providing free transportation. For instance, Luxembourg becomes the first country to make all its transportation free, Governments have plans to invest around USD 4 billion from 2018-28, for up-gradation of the bus network, and for adding more park-and-ride sites in their borders. There are other major countries where free bus transportation is provided under certain conditions.
- Market is marked by several local players where there are intense competitive rivalry and margin pressure, seat manufacturers are actively setting up alliances and expanding in the emerging markets such as India and China to take advantage of the low labor costs. This trend may change the dynamics of the industry in the forecast period, and seat manufacturers must focus on these emerging markets to stay competitive.
Key Market Trends
E-Bus is Driving the Bus Seat Market Growth
Currently, China is the forerunner in the electric bus market, in 2018, nearly 23% of bus purchases in China were e-buses. Moreover, the overall bus purchases in the country are expected to remain stable, with more than 400,000 new purchases by 2025. Electric bus purchases are expected to increase, supported by continuous government initiatives to promote e-mobility, and the overall e-bus adoption is likely to reach 40% of new bus purchases, globally, by 2040.
In 2020, the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) announced that they are ordering 155 electric buses in the U.S, which will be completing in two years. This purchase of LADOT is a part of their ambitious plan of switching entirely to 100% electric buses by 2028.
In 2020, The European Commission has approved USD 332 million of additional state funding in Germany, with total funding of USD 719 million for incentivizing electric bus orders by the end of 2021.
BYD, one of the leading electric bus manufacturers headquartered in China has sold more than 500 electric buses in Southern California, its customers include airports, universities, private operators and transit agencies.
Asia-Pacific Is Expected to Lead the Bus Seat Market
Asia-Pacific is anticipated to lead the global bus seat market over the forecast period. This region also has the presence of major market participants, bus manufacturers such as Anhui ankai automobile company, Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland, Xiamen King Long United Automotive Industry, BYD Auto Co. Ltd and seat manufacturers such as Aisin Seiki Co, Harita Seating Company, Toyota Boshoku Corp.
Along with that, this region is also witnessing an increase in orders placed by local governments of electric buses. For instance,
- In 2019, In India, Tata Motors has announced that they have won the contract to supply 300 electric buses, this company had previously delivered 200 electric buses to the local government.
- China''s Zhongtong Bus Holding Co., Ltd. and Malaysian automotive manufacturer Terus Maju Services (TMS) have signed an agreement to develop energy buses for the especially south-eastern Asian market.
The major players in the market studied include Franz Kiel GmbH. Lazzerini Srl, Grammer AG, and Freedman seating company, among others. The companies are expanding their presence by making strategic alliances, acquiring regional players, introducing advance and more comfortable seats. For instance,
- In 2019, Lazzerini Srl an Italian seat manufacturer has acquired Australia-based Styleride Seating Systems. This acquisition will drive the growth of Australian, New Zealand and Asian markets in the forecast period. LAzzerini Srl has rich customer base includes bus manufacturers such as Alexander Wright, Volvo, Scania, Caetano, Iveco, Sitcar, Mussa, and IIA.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Drivers
- 4.2 Market Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Seat Type
- 5.1.1 Standard
- 5.1.2 Recliner
- 5.2 By Component Type
- 5.2.1 Frame
- 5.2.2 Upholstery
- 5.3 By Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 Germany
- 220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
- 18.104.22.168 France
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 India
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Mexico
- 188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
- 184.108.40.206 Other Countries
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Vendor Market Share
- 6.2 Company Profiles
- 6.2.1 TACHI-S Co., Ltd.
- 6.2.2 Commercial Vehicle Group Inc.
- 6.2.3 Franz Kiel GmbH
- 6.2.4 Grammer AG
- 6.2.5 Freedman seating company
- 6.2.6 Harita Seating Company
- 6.2.7 Magna International Inc.
- 6.2.8 Toyota Boshoku Corporation
- 6.2.9 Prakash Seating Private Ltd.
- 6.2.10 Lazzerini Srl
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS