Product Code: 67437
The global white oil market size was 1.5 million metric tons in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of around 1.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The white oil market has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, many countries have taken a wide variety of restrictive measures, which had, in general, a negative effect on demand, and thus, on industrial production in many areas. Moreover, the steel industry has been one of the major victims of this pandemic. Steel production has witnessed a decline in 2020, due to the production halts and decreased demand from various end-user industries because of the COVID-19 crisis. The steel demand is expected to contract to 6.4% dropping to 1,654 million metric tons, according to the World Steel Association. Similarly, the food and beverage industry is struggling due to the significant change in the supply chain. Previously, food processing companies have extra capacity in warehouses or on production lines to meet the demand. However, in 2020, due to the supply disruptions, manufacturing companies feeling quite difficult to have inventories. This has affected the food and beverage operations in various regions. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, thus, restoring the growth trajectory of the market studied.
- Over the medium term, the major factors driving the growth of the white oil market are the increased demand from the growing cosmetics and personal care industry and growing usage in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Cosmetics is one of the major applications for white oils. White oils are used as a base oil in various products, such as hair oils, hair creams, makeup products, facial creams, and body lotions.
- The increasing pharmaceutical industry is also providing growth to the white oil market. In the pharmaceutical industry, it is used in the manufacturing of ointments, emollients, eye lubricants, and penicillin production processes.
- However, stringent government regulations on the use of white oil in the food and pharmaceutical industries are acting as a restraint to the market studied.
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global white oil market owing to the rapid growth of countries, like China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Personal Care across the World
- White oils are an important part of many cosmetic formulations and are commonly used in almost all types of cosmetic and personal care products, from emulsions to anhydrous cosmetics, such as lip balm, baby oil, skincare, haircare, creams, lotions, and emollients.
- White oil can be used to ease diaper rash and eczema irritation. The cosmetic industry also makes good use of liquid paraffin. The substance is used in various beauty products, including detergent creams, cold creams, hydrated creams, bronzed oils, and makeup products.
- This oil is used in hand and body care cosmetics at levels ranging from 1% to 99%, depending on the quality of the product needed. For example, pressed powders, mascara, eyeliner, and foundations have up to 60% white oil, and eye makeup remover contains 99% white mineral oil. Cosmetic-grade white oil is used in this application, which is refined to meet specifications appropriately.
- In Europe, the white oil used in cosmetic lip care products should be in line with the purity specifications on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, as reflected in the safety requirements given in the EU cosmetic regulation 1223/2009. In 2009 and 2013, the European Food Safety Authority established an ADI (Acceptable Daily Intake) of 12 mg/kg bw/day for high viscosity and medium viscosity white mineral oils.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation and Sonneborn LLC (HollyFrontier Corporation) are the major manufacturers offering white oil products for personal care and cosmetics applications.
- The personal care segment accounted for the second-largest share, in terms of application, in 2020. Globally, the cosmetics market has been growing continuously with a significant Y-o-Y growth rate. The revenue in the Beauty & Personal Care market is expected to be USD 511,401 million in 2021, and it is expected to grow annually by 4.75% (CAGR 2021-2025). Thus, this is expected to drive the market for white oil in the manufacturing of cosmetic products.
- Thus, all the factors mentioned above are expected to drive the demand for white oil over the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia Pacific dominated the market with both the largest and fastest-growing market for white oil.
- Asia Pacific accounted for around 61% of the white oil consumption. China is the largest consumer of white oil in the Asia Pacific region.
- The Chinese personal care products market was valued at USD 51,804.26 million in 2019, and it is expected to reach USD 78,542.97 million by 2025 during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
- The cosmetics and personal care sector is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the country. The Chinese cosmetics and personal care market, which includes a wide variety of industries, such as makeup, skincare, haircare, personal hygiene, and fragrances, experienced growth in 2019-2020, thus, stimulating the market demand for white oil in the country.
- Due to the investments from various manufacturers and government initiatives to support the production of different standards of white oil, the production capacity of the country is expected to increase in the coming years.
- Weifang Hongrun Petrochemical Technology Co. has recently awarded a contract to Chevron Lummus Global for the licensing and design of a 500,000-metric ton per year white oil hydroprocessing unit and a 200,000 t/y food-grade white oil unit in Shandong, China.
- In India, the largest application of white oils in the country is hair oil, which is a part of the cosmetics and personal care industry. The overall cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries account for around three-fourths of the white oil consumption in the country.
- BPCL has planned to enhance the production capacity of the lubricant oil base stock unit. The company has made a contract with Chevron Lummus Global to provide the license and design of its hydrocracker to produce high-quality clean fuels, premium grades of lubricating base oils, and white oils.
- Japan is the world's third-largest cosmetics market. Although Japanese demographics are shrinking, an upturn in consumer confidence and the demand from incoming tourists have been driving the growth of the cosmetics market.
- Japan has more than 2,500 cosmetics manufacturers, of which Shiseido and Kao rank 7th and 9th, respectively, among global cosmetics companies.
- Moreover, with the growing demand for Japan-made cosmetics from Asian consumers, manufacturers are investing in cosmetics production in the country. Recently, one of the largest cosmetics producers in the country, Shiseido, announced an investment of JPY 40 billion to 50 billion to open a new factory in the southern main island of Kyushu around 2021. The company also built two other plants in Tochigi Prefecture in 2019 and Osaka Prefecture in 2020 to double its production capacity in the country.
- Although the textile market has been witnessing a slowdown, the domestic textile exporters have been focusing on the western market and exploring opportunities in the domestic market. The textile industry plays a vital part in the national economy of Japan. The increasing demand for Japanese goods is boosting the demand for the manufacturing industry.
- Owing to the increasing demand for textiles, plastics/polymers, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and adhesives, the demand for white oils is likely to increase during the forecast period.
The global white oil market is partially consolidated with many healthy competitions in the market. The major companies are HollyFrontier Corporation, Exxon Mobil Corporation, China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (Sinopec), Calumet Specialty Products Partners LP, and Savita Oil Technologies Limited, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Demand from Cosmetics and Personal Care Industry
- 4.1.2 Increasing Demand from the Pharmaceutical Industry
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Stringent Government Regulations on the Use of White Oil in the Food and Pharmaceutical Industries
- 4.2.2 Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.5 Distribution Channel Analysis
- 4.6 Factors Affecting Purchase Decisions
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Plastics and Elastomers
- 5.1.2 Adhesives
- 5.1.3 Personal Care
- 5.1.4 Agriculture
- 5.1.5 Textile
- 5.1.6 Food and Beverage
- 5.1.7 Pharmaceutical
- 5.1.8 Metalworking Applications
- 5.1.9 Other Applications
- 5.2 By Grade
- 5.2.1 Technical/Industrial Grade
- 5.2.2 Pharmaceuticals Grade
- 5.3 By Base Oil
- 5.3.1 Group I
- 5.3.2 Group II
- 5.3.3 Group III
- 5.3.4 Naphthenic
- 5.4 By Viscosity
- 5.4.1 Low
- 5.4.2 Medium
- 5.4.3 High
- 5.5 By Geography
- 5.5.1 Asia Pacific
- 184.108.40.206 China
- 220.127.116.11 India
- 18.104.22.168 Japan
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific
- 5.5.2 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
- 5.5.3 Europe
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
- 5.5.4 Rest of World
- 188.8.131.52 South America
- 184.108.40.206 Middle-East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Share Analysis**
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- 6.4.2 Calumet Specialty Products Partners LP
- 6.4.3 China Petrochemical & Chemical Corporation (Sinopec)
- 6.4.4 Exxon Mobil Corporation
- 6.4.5 H&R GROUP
- 6.4.6 HollyFrontier Corporation
- 6.4.7 Nynas AB
- 6.4.8 Oxiteno
- 6.4.9 Renkert Oil
- 6.4.10 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- 6.4.11 Sasol
- 6.4.12 Savita Oil Technologies Limited
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Potential Usage in the Food and Beverage Industry