Product Code: 61430
The spark plasma sintering (SPS) market is expected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The increasing adoption of the electric current assisted sintering method as a tool for the consolidation of various metallic/non-metallic powders and increasing adoption of the Field Assisted Sintering Technique (FAST) for developing nanomaterials are some of the primary drivers for the growth of the studied market.
- In the last two decades, elaboration techniques based on the use of high current intensities have attracted considerable interest from industrial sectors. Among these techniques, spark plasma sintering (SPS) has emerged as the most adopted method in the last few years. It made significant advancements in materials science and materials processing due to the fast and efficient densification of a great variety of materials and the suitability of the equipment for conducting solid-state synthesis and synthesis.
- SPS has emerged as the preferred option for the production of high-strength, ultrafine crystalline materials; dispersion strengthened materials, sputter targets, thermoelectric, or metal-diamond (or generally metal-carbon) composite materials. Besides, the process allows the adjustment of temperature gradients within the sintering body during compaction. This enables the production of gradient and layered materials with widely differing properties (e.g., ZrO2/stainless steel, Al2O3/titanium).
- The increasing adoption of innovative metals, ceramics, and composite materials in industrial and consumer products is expected to grow over the forecast period, owing to their increasing availability and declining manufacturing cost. Another major factor in achieving this growth is the requirement of high volumes of material production at a low price.
- Therefore, most of the market vendors are focusing on offering systems utilized in the production of high-temperature ceramics, advanced composite materials and functionally graded materials (FGMs) for use in the aerospace, semiconductor, defense, automotive, power generation, medical device, and other commercial sectors. For instance, ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) have increasingly been used in aerospace applications for the production of thermal protection systems and aero-engine parts. Similarly, SPS is gaining traction for sintering transition metal carbonitrides, which are becoming increasingly crucial in super hardness, tribology, superconductivity, and electrical and thermal conductivity.
- Additionally, the SPS process offers enhanced grain sliding, deformation, and micro-level grain size control, which differentiates the technology from other advanced sintering processes, fueling the demand for the products produced with SPS technology. However, the complexities associated with the narrow temperature range during reaction for different material processing, which may lead to inefficient production of the material. This factor is limiting the SPS market growth to an extent.
Key Market Trends
Defense Sector is Expected to Grow Significantly
- One of the most common applications of SPS is the sintering of high melting point materials, such as titanium nitride. They have been widely used in the aerospace industry for compressor, turbine, and pressure piping in an engine due to their high corrosion resistance, high strength, and relatively lightweight. These factors are fuelling their deployment in the automotive and defense sector.
- Titanium is the most sort after metal for military applications, used in cutting-edge nuclear submarines, fighter jets, as it offers corrosion resistance that extend the life, as well as for lightweight requirements, like armored vehicles. However, the metal is ten times more expensive than steel and accounts for colossal production time.
- The emergence of the SPS methods enables the production of titanium powder/particulate in hardly two steps. This method has found a vast expansion of titanium parts and equipment throughout the military. Further, it also enables the creation of custom body armors for soldiers that just involve digitally scanning the soldier, creating a graphite mold via CNC machining, and sintering boron carbide powder into customized plates.
- With a greater focus on improving military technology and equipment, the armed forces are looking to invest in this technology. For instance, The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) and Kennametal Manufacturing UK Ltd. have partnered to develop full-size ceramic armor components for personnel and vehicle protection. The EUR 2 million joint project investment in the Newport, South Wales facility, to establish Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) Furnace.
Asia-Pacific Region to Witness Significant Growth
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness significant growth for the demand of spark plasma sintering materials. The economies in the region are growing rapidly with the presence of the fastest developing nations like India and China. The healthcare, energy, and electronics segments are also propelling in the region.
- With the growing compliance on international quality standards, the medical tourism industry is growing in the region. The customized bio-materials like artificial replacement for bones require high strength and durability. According to the National Centre for Health Statistics (NCHS), hip replacement surgery cost in India is lower by at least fifth the cost in western countries. Attracting foreign patients, the demand for SPS joint replacement biomaterials are growing.
- The countries in the region are also in the top listings of the highest spenders for military and defense. For Instance, In May 2020, China announced the yearly defense of budget USD 178.6 billion, thereby registering a 6.6% increase as compared to the 2019 budget of USD 177.5 billion. Also, the spendings are increasing year on year towards the development of military equipment and soldier armors.
- Moreover, ISRO has released its 10-year plan for the upcoming project, which will demand robust and customized products for its applications and fuel the SPS market growth in the region.
The spark plasma sintering market is consolidated with the presence of key players like Thermal Technology LLC dominating the market. The service provider requires high capital cost, and expertise with the technology for the installation, which is challenging the entry of new players in the market.
- March 2020: Thermal Technology LLC expanded its small laboratory SPS/DCS equipment line now with a 5-Ton Micro-Mobile SPS/DCS Pressing System. The 5-Ton Press capability is controlled in much the same way as its larger counterparts are but differ in that the force is Electric Screw Drive vs. Electro-Hydraulic as it is on all of the company's larger pressing systems. The Micro SPS/DCS can accommodate specimens up to 12mm and reach temperatures of up to 2300°C.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHT
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increase in Defense Budgets Across Geographies
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Highly Consolidated Market
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Assessment Of COVID-19 Impact on the Industry
5 MARKET EVOLUTION
6 MARKET TRENDS REGRDING DIFFERENT MATERIALS
7 TRENDS REGARDING DIFFERENT TYPES OF ADVANCED SINTERING TECHNOLOGIES
8 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 8.1 By End-user Application
- 8.1.1 Automotive
- 8.1.2 Manufacturing
- 8.1.3 Energy & Power
- 8.1.4 Aerospace & Defense
- 8.1.5 Other End-user Applications
- 8.2 Geography
- 8.2.1 North America
- 8.2.2 Europe
- 8.2.3 Asia Pacific
- 8.2.4 Latin America
- 8.2.5 Middle East & Africa
9 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 9.1 Company Profiles
- 9.1.1 Fuji Electronic Industrial Co. Ltd.
- 9.1.2 Dr Fritsch GmbH & Co KG
- 9.1.3 Thermal Technology LLC
- 9.1.4 FCT Systeme GmbH
- 9.1.5 MTI Corporation
- 9.1.6 Shanghai HaoYue Furnace Technology Co.,Ltd.
- 9.1.7 Elenix Inc.
- 9.1.8 Toshniwal Instruments Madras Pvt. Ltd.
- 9.1.9 SinterLand Inc.
10 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
11 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS