Product Code: 66927
The market for solar photovoltaic (PV) in Mexico is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 8.90% during the forecast period of 2020 - 2025. Increasing solar PV installations, owing to the projects announced in the first three long-term energy auctions are attributed to driving the demand for solar PV in Mexico. A majority of these solar energy projects are established as a part of the long-term energy auctions held in 2015, 2016, and 2017. However, cancellation of the fourth long-term energy auction, due to the delays caused by the environmental permitting, community consultations and the low prices at the previous auctions. This discouraged banks from financing the projects further and is acting as a restraint solar PV market.
- Utility-scale is expected to account for the largest share in the Mexican solar PV market by deployment owing to the higher investments and larger installed capacity.
- The technological advancements in solar PV manufacturing are expected to act as an opportunity for the Mexican solar PV market. A new type of solar PV called emerging PV is under development, which involves manufacturing solar PV using nanostructured or carbon-structured materials (dye or perovskite) or organic-based solar cells.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Solar PV Installation, Owing to the Projects Announced in the First Three Long-term Energy Auctions
- The energy reform, which occurred in Mexico in the last few years, has made the country a very attractive market for solar energy. The country had around 43 large scale solar parks in operation, as of 2018, with an installed capacity of direct investments of USD 6.3 billion. As a result of this, in terms of annual solar PV installations, Mexico reached the first position in Latin America and seventh position, worldwide.
- As of June 2019, according to the Mexican Association of Solar Energy (ASOLMEX), the cumulative installed capacity of solar PV in Mexico reached 4,057 MW, increasing at a growth rate of 32% from 3,075 MW on December 2018.
- A majority of these solar energy projects are established as a part of the long-term energy auctions held in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Among the projects announced, as a part of these long-term energy sector auctions, solar energy projects accounted for the major share.
- Three long-term energy auctions were conducted from 2015-2018 each for supply of 5,402,881 MWh of electricity per year, 1,853 MW and 5,492,575 MWh per year respectively.
- Hence, the solar power projects announced as a part of the first three long-term energy auctions are expected to drive the market studied, during the forecast period.
Increasing Deployment in Utility-scale
- Solar energy has established itself as one of the renewable energies with the largest presence in Mexico. This can be demonstrated by the presence of 39 utility-scale solar parks in commercial operation in 11 states of the country as of 2018, with an aggregate installed capacity of 2.7 GW and direct investment of over USD 6.2 billion.
- The solar PV market reached the GW scale mark in 2018 for the first time with 2.7 GW installed in the same year. With this installation, the total installed solar PV capacity in Mexico reached 3.075 GW. Adding to this, on June 2019, the cumulative installed PV capacity increased by 32% and reached 4.057 GW. Also, from December 2018 to May 2019, the number of large-scale solar parks reached 44, operating in 14 states, with an installed capacity of 3.36 GW.
- Mexico is dedicated to clean energy, plans to source almost 35% of its energy from renewable sources by 2024. In order to accomplish this target, the country has been implementing new utility-scale projects and steadily adding capacity to the Villanueva Solar Park in Coahuila, which has an output of 754 MW per year, as of 2018.
- In May 2019, Spanish company Elmya completed the construction of the Aura Solar III PV plant for the Mexican developer Gauss Energia. Located in the town of La Paz, in Baja California Sur, the Aura Solar III plant has a generation capacity of 32 MW and includes a lithium-ion battery storage system with a capacity of 10.5 MW/7.0 MWh
- Despite the aforementioned setback, the expansion of Mexico's utility-scale solar power capacity is expected to be driven mainly by the projects that have won contracts in the clean energy auctions and the increasing competitiveness of solar power, as costs fall.
The solar photovoltaic (PV) market of Mexico is consolidated, due to the small number of companies operating in the industry. The key players in this market include Enel SpA, Engie SA, Canadian Solar Inc., Risen Energy Co. Ltd and Hanwha Q Cells Co. Ltd.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1. Scope of the Study
- 1.2. Market Definition
- 1.3. Study Assumptions
- 1.4. Study Deliverables
- 1.5. Research Phases
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1. Introduction
- 4.2. Renewable Energy Mix in Mexico, 2018
- 4.3. Mexico Solar PV Installed Capacity Forecast in MW, till 2025
- 4.4. Mexico Solar Irradiation and Resource Potential
- 4.5. Status of Solar Auctions in Mexico
- 4.6. Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.7. Market Dynamics
- 4.7.1. Drivers
- 4.7.2. Restraints
- 4.8. Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.9. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.9.1. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.9.2. Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.9.3. Threat of New Entrants
- 4.9.4. Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
- 4.9.5. Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.10. Solar PV Infrastructure in Mexico
- 4.10.1. Solar PV Plants in Operation, as of 2019
- 4.10.2. Upcoming and Pipelined Solar PV Plants
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1. Deployment
- 5.1.1. Utility-scale
- 5.1.2. Distributed Solar Generation (Residential, Commercial, and Industrial)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1. Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2. Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3. Company Profiles
- 6.3.1. Domestic Players
- 184.108.40.206. Enlight Mexico
- 220.127.116.11. 3TekSolar
- 18.104.22.168. CPM Solar
- 6.3.2. International Players
- 22.214.171.124. Enel SpA
- 126.96.36.199. Engie SA
- 188.8.131.52. Risen Energy Co. Ltd
- 184.108.40.206. Canadian Solar Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS