Product Code: 57345
The GaN RF semiconductor devices market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 30.58% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The COVID-19 outbreak has started to impact supply lines across various industries, and with the telecoms industry there is no exception. For the telecommunication industry, COVID-19 is expected to impede the 5G penetration significantly. In this critical situation, consumers are expected not to stop using mobile phones, but most of them may not be able to invest more in a technology that is still in a nascent stage. Owing to the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT), the advent of 5G network and widespread applications across various industry verticals will offer immense growth opportunities to the RF GaN semiconductors market.
- The successful implementation of IoT needs data transfer over a network without human-to-computer interaction. The increasing implementation of IoT will result in signal congestion and will demand the use of GaN technology that can amplify power, capacity, and the bandwidth required for communicating with all interconnected devices.
- Development of MEMS technology are an integral part of IoT devices, and will also have a positive impact on the GaN RF semiconductor devices market.Increasing demand for smartphones, gaming devices, laptops, and TVs is expected to drive the GaN semiconductor devices market in the consumer electronics sector.
- The increasing competition with SiC can hamper the market share of GaN RF Semiconductors as SiC has higher thermal conductivity than GaN meaning that SiC devices can theoretically operate at higher power densities than GaN.
- The ongoing crisis due to COVID-19 can act as a driver of technological advancement, despite the challenges faced by the industry. Whereas, in some cases, 5G is already proving its worth. For instance, in Wuhan (China), Huawei installed a 5G network in a specialist hospital in three days. As a result of the effort, 5G-enabled robots were able to help take care of patients in the hospital and take measurements, reducing the amount of time medical staff needs to spend with infectious patients.
Key Market Trends
Proliferation of Long Term Evolution Wireless Networks to Drive the Market Growth
- Rise in Long Term Evolution (LTE) wireless networks is one of the primary growth factors for the GaN RF semiconductor devices market. The constantly increasing data consumption has resulted in the growth of commercial networks and will induce network carriers to adopt next-generation LTE networks, such as 4G and 5G.
- Due to its ability to provide higher frequency data bandwidth connections, GaN RF technology will soon be the ideal choice for network service providers. GaN RF devices help in ensuring that the device can generate maximum frequency at the necessary band, and also prevent any interference from other frequency bands.
- The deployment of GaN RF power devices will allow LTE devices to offer speeds that allow consumers to upload and download content, such as music and photographs, and also play online games and watch online TV shows on maximum frequency bands, which will lead to a rise in their adoption.
- RF GaN plays a vital role in wireless infrastructure to improve efficiency and widen bandwidth to support the ever-increasing data transmission rate. Increasing adoption of 5G technology and advancements in wireless communication are set to be significant drivers for the RF GaN market. The increasing adoption of GaN power transistors could prove to be useful for telecom vendors as well.
North America to Hold the Largest Share
- The growth in GaN semiconductors market in North America strongly correlates with the growth of end-user industries, such as telecom, aerospace & defense, consumer electronics, automotive, industrial, others.
- Moreover, the presence of leading players in the industry also contributes to the share held by the region. The growth in North America is encouraged by propelling defense sector with wider utilization of GaN-based transistors, military radar and electronic warfare in military applications.
- Also, rising demand from consumer electronic products, such as televisions, laptops, gaming devices, personal computers, and tablet PCs has further fuelled the growth of this market in North America.
- Moreover, expertise in technology has resulted in the growth of convertible laptops, ultra HD or 4K Television sets, and other various wireless electronics, increasing the demand for RF GaN semiconductor in the consumer electronics market of the region.
- According to the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) and World Semiconductor Trade Statistics, the semiconductor industry directly employs nearly a quarter of a million workers in the US, and the US semiconductor companies' sales totaled USD 8.05 billion in January 2021.
The GaN RF semiconductor devices market is neither consolidated nor fragmented. Some of the key players include GaN Systems, NXP Semiconductor, Qorvo Inc., Wolfspeed, Inc.(A CREE Company), Broadcom Inc., Efficient Power Conversion, Fujitsu Semiconductor, NTT Advanced Technology, Texas Instruments, among others.
- May 2021 - NXP Semiconductors NV sold bonds worth USD 2 billion to help finance the development of semiconductors that reduce energy consumption in products like power adapters and electric vehicles. This is to achieve a lesser carbon footprint and more energy-efficient production in fabs of semiconductors. NXP said it had cut absolute emissions of perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), which are greenhouse gases, by 66%.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Proliferation of Long Term Evolution Wireless Networks
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Competition from SiC
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.7 RF GaN Patent Landscape Overview
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Defense and Aerospace
- 5.1.2 Telecom
- 5.1.3 Consumer Electronics
- 5.1.4 Automotive
- 5.1.5 Industrial
- 5.1.6 Other Applications (Data Centers, Renewable Energy,etc.)
- 5.2 By Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.2.4 Latin America
- 5.2.5 Middle East and Africa
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 GaN Systems
- 6.1.2 NXP Semiconductor
- 6.1.3 Qorvo Inc.
- 6.1.4 Wolfspeed Inc.(A CREE Company)
- 6.1.5 Broadcom Inc.
- 6.1.6 Efficient Power Conversion
- 6.1.7 Fujitsu Semiconductor
- 6.1.8 NTT Advanced Technology
- 6.1.9 Texas Instruments
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET