Product Code: 66420
The indium phosphide wafer market is expected to register a CAGR of 14.1% during the forecast period (2019 - 2024). Indium phosphide wafer is commonly used in high-frequency and high-power electronics. InP has the quality of superior electron velocity which makes it perfect for optoelectronic devices, rapid transistor, and resonance tunneling diodes. The market is dominated by the high-speed fiber optic communication as InP is capable of emission and detection of wavelengths above 1000 nm. InP wafer is used for two categories: Photonics and RF. InP finds applications in Photonics Telecom Datacom Lidar, Sensing and other RF, Civil and Military applications.
- The InP wafer market is highly impacted by the photonics market particularly driven by Datacom and Telecom applications where InP is used as a substrate for both laser diodes and photodiodes in optical transceivers. InP market growth is not limited to optical communication. It also has potential opportunities in LIDAR and even handset PA applications. InP also has remarkable intrinsic material properties for high speed and low noise for high-frequency RF applications.
- Due to the arrival of 5G and the increasing growth of Datacom business, it is expected that the InP wafer market will grow due to the increasing requirements of 5G, and it is also lower in cost and power consumption than GaN. Device manufacturers are increasingly keen to harness the material's high electron mobility in the fabrication of HBTs and HEMTs. In the upcoming years, 5G mobile networks could hold tremendous promise for this flavor of the substrate.
- Many companies are focussing on bringing new innovations for the growth of this market. For instance, AXT's InP substrates are largely supplied to manufacturers of lasers and photodetectors for fiber-optics network applications, including fiber-to-the-home as well as data center communications. Crystacomm delivers six inch InP technology, which proves vital to the development of cost-effective InP-based transistors for 5G wireless devices.
Scope of the Report
Indium phosphide wafer is a semiconductor material having superior electrical and thermal properties compared to the silicon wafer and GaAs wafer. Indium phosphide wafers are suitable in the production of optical fiber transmission windows which are found in lasers and photodetectors as they have properties such as higher electron mobility, higher frequency, low power consumption, high thermal conductivity, and low noise performance.
Key Market Trends
Telecommunication Industry Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Fiber optic communications is the most important and critical current use of InP. InP Wafer is dominated by the high-speed fiber optic communication as InP is capable of emission and detection in wavelengths above 1000 nm. InP wafers are used in high power and high-frequency optoelectronic devices including laser diodes, photodetectors, LED, optical transceivers, which are operating in optical fiber communication systems.
- InP-based telecommunication and data-communication systems offer several orders of magnitude higher energy efficiencies, and lower environmental impact, compared with incumbent systems, e.g. copper. The ability to support the continued explosion of storage requirements and growth of data transmission over the coming years is becoming paramount. Communications networks across the world operate through the use of InP lasers that connect switches and routers within and between data centers and throughout the Internet.
- Significant investment is expected from different players led by internet giants such as Google, Amazon and more. With the increasing requirement of more data transfer at higher speeds, transceiver technology is migrating to the technology offering better rates (100GbE and 400GbE), for which InP is more favorable.
Asia-Pacific Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness significant growth for indium phosphide wafer market. The semiconductor industry of China has been showing an upward trend from the past ten years. For instance, the initiative by the Chinese government like 'Made In China 2025' is about to invest a staggering USD 150 billion which is a strategic move aimed at building high-end precision manufacturing capabilities with semiconductors being the priority segments.
- Most of the manufacturers of InP wafers belong to the Asia-Pacific region due to various government policies supporting semiconductor market growth. The technology boom is powering Asia's economies. Explosive growth in new-era gadgets and internet-linked connected appliances stoking fresh demand for components such as semiconductors and displays. China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan would be among the economies expected to benefit the most.
- The semiconductor industry gave a significant boost to the Southeast Asia economic growth last year, especially in Singapore where semiconductor output is having surged 48 % in 2017, according to data from the Economic Development Board.
The indium phosphide wafer market is consolidated. Various mergers and acquisitions of large companies are expected to take place shortly, which focuses on innovation.
- February 2019 - Source Photonics opens new InP laser fab facility in China to double the production capacity of photonic components and lasers. The company will be able to double its production of semiconductor lasers and related components for optical transceivers.
- August 2018 - Sanan Integrated Circuit Co. Ltd. goes global and emerges as a world-class III-V Technology Platform Company. Sanan IC is firmly focused on high performance, large scale, and high-quality III-V semiconductor manufacturing and on serving the RF, millimeter wave, power electronics, and optical markets.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increasing Use of Optoelectronic Devices
- 4.3.2 Growth of Datacom Business and 5G
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Competition from Other Substitutes
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.6 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.7 Technology Snapshot
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Diameter
- 5.1.1 50.8 mm or 2"
- 5.1.2 76.2 mm or 3"
- 5.1.3 100 mm or 4" and above
- 5.2 End-user Industry Application
- 5.2.1 Military & Defense
- 5.2.2 Telecommunications
- 5.2.3 Medical
- 5.2.4 Other End-user Industry Application
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the world
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 AXT Inc.
- 6.1.2 Wafer World Inc.
- 6.1.3 Logitech Ltd.
- 6.1.4 Western Minmetals (SC) Corporation
- 6.1.5 Century Goldray Semiconductor Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.6 Semiconductor Wafer Inc.
- 6.1.7 Ding Ten Industrial Inc.
- 6.1.8 Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd.
- 6.1.9 Powerway Advanced Material Co. Ltd.
- 6.1.10 JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS