Product Code: 63835
The RF GaN Market was valued at USD 598 million at a CAGR of 20.2%, during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- With Gallium nitride (GaN) technology continuously evolving, GaN is enabling higher and higher frequencies in more complex applications, such as phased arrays, radar, base transceiver stations for cable TV (CATV), VSAT and defense communications.
- Growing investments by companies concerning 5G technology are further expected to add to the market growth. For Instance, according to Ericsson's Mobility Report of June 2019, More than 10 million 5G subscriptions are projected worldwide by the end of 2019. This is indicative of the fact that the market is poised to grow throughout the forecast period.
- Companies such as Qorvo, a provider of RF solutions expanded its offering for 5G applications in 2018, with the 28 GHz Gallium Nitride front-end module. This FEM reduces system costs for base station equipment manufacturers as they expand into 5G. The company has shipped around 100 million 5G wireless infrastructure components since January 2018.
- Some of the prominent players in the industry through strategic partnerships, research & developments, and Mergers & acquisitions have been able to further the technology. This is expected to fuel market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in March 2018, Cree, Inc., acquired the RF Power assets of Infineon Technologies in a move that would allow Cree's Wolfspeed business unit to expand wireless opportunities and enhance its leadership in RF GaN-on-SiC technologies.
- The RF GaN market is also expected to experience a significant growth, over the forecast period, due to the increasing demand for power electronics that consume less power and are energy efficient. GaN possess dynamic electrical and chemical properties, such as high-voltage breakdown and saturation velocity, which makes them the apt choice for use in a variety of switching devices.
Scope of the Report
GAN stands out in RF applications because of several reasons such as High breakdown field, High saturation velocity, Outstanding thermal properties as they have been instrumental in transmitting signals over long distances or at high-end power levels. This report segments the market by Material (GaN-on-Sic and GaN-on-Silicon), Application (Wireless Infrastructure and Aerospace and Defense), and Geography.
Key Market Trends
Aerospace & Defense is Expected to Hold Significant Share
- The RF GAN is being increasingly adopted by the military in the fields of military radar and EW system designs as an alternative or replacement for laterally diffused MOSFET (LDMOS) components. This is expected to boost market growth over the forecast period.
- Through research and development, the players in the industry have been able to further develop the technology which would contribute towards the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- For instance, in December 2017, Scientists at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) successfully demonstrated a flexible RF (radio frequency) transistor device based on Gallium Nitride that actually performs under strain and is flexible, and powerful.
- The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is also anticipated to use this product in military radios and electronics that utilize amplifiers. According to the SIPRI, the defense spending of the United States is the highest among others, thus the demand for GaN-based transistors in the military and defense sectors in the region may increase over the forecast period. GaN-based transistor meets the need for improved real-time air traffic control, reduced collisions, and effective navigation system.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Experience Significant Growth
- Asia-Pacific is expected to occupy the largest share of the RG GaN market, during the forecast period, due to the established power electronics industry in this region and the presence of several established vendors of RF GaN such as Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (Japan), Toshiba Corporation (Japan), and Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd. (Japan)
- With the increasing emissions from the SI and CI powered engines, the region is promoting the usage of electric vehicles that represents a potential opportunity for the RF GAN providers as a new generation GaN are lighter, smaller, and more comfortable to package as well as can be useful to counteract the issues of elevated temperatures.
- According to the IEA, in 2017, China accounted for 1.23 million electric cars in circulation. Electric car deployment also increased in China. In 2018, around 45% of electric cars were on road in China (a total of 2.3 million), as compared to 39% in 2017. This is expected to boost the adoption of the RF GAN over the forecast period.
The competetive rivalry among the players in the RF GaN market is high owing to the presence of some key players such as Mitsubishi, STM microelectronics, amongst others. Their ability to continually innovate their offerings has allowed them to gain competitive advantage other players. Through research & development, strategic partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions these players have been able to gain a strong foothold in the maret.
- June 2018 - NXP Semiconductors NV launched new RF GaN wideband power transistors and expanded its Airfast third-generation Si-LDMOS portfolio of macro- and outdoor small-cell solutions to enable next-generation 5G mobile networks.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.3 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.4 Market Drivers
- 4.4.1 Proliferation Of Iot And Smart Cities
- 4.4.2 Growing Transition Toward 5g Implementation
- 4.4.3 Proliferation Of Electric Vehicles And Power Electronics
- 4.5 Market Restraints
- 4.5.1 High Cost Of Raw Materials And Production Processes
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
- 5.1 GaN-on-SiC
- 5.2 GaN-on-Silicon
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By Application
- 6.1.1 Wireless Infrastructure
- 6.1.2 Aerospace and Defense
- 6.1.3 Community Access Television (CATV)
- 6.1.4 Satellite Communication
- 6.1.5 Other Applications
- 6.2 Geography
- 6.2.1 North America
- 6.2.2 Europe
- 6.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.2.4 Latin America
- 6.2.5 Middle East and Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd
- 7.1.2 RFHIC Corporation
- 7.1.3 Aethercomm Inc.
- 7.1.4 Analog Devices Inc.
- 7.1.5 Cree Inc.
- 7.1.6 Integra Technologies Inc.
- 7.1.7 M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc.
- 7.1.8 Microsemi Corporation (Microchip Technology Incorporated)
- 7.1.9 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- 7.1.10 NXP Semiconductors NV
- 7.1.11 Qorvo Inc.
- 7.1.12 STMicroelectronics NV
- 7.1.13 Toshiba Corporation
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS