Product Code: 56996
The global vacuum pumps market was valued at USD 2.58 billion in 2020, and it is projected to be worth USD 3.649 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 5.89%, during the period 2021 - 2026. Traditionally, vacuum pumps were used in applications, such as refrigerators, CRTs, evacuation of lamps, and food packaging. However, the increasing demands in industries, such as chemical processing, medical, electronics, and power generation, are expected to drive market growth during the forecast period.
- The substantial demand from these end-user verticals is a result of the operations involved that are extremely susceptible to corrosion, due to constant exposure to several harsh environments. This is emphasizing the need for vacuum pumps to comply with various industry regulations.
- Vacuum pumps also play a significant role in the production process of semiconductor equipment. The overall demand for the semiconductor IC market is being driven by smartphones and other applications across consumer electronics, automotive applications, etc. These are driven by technology transitions, such as wireless technologies (5G) and artificial intelligence. Also, the trend of increasing Internet of Things (IoT) devices is expected to prompt the semiconductor industry to invest in this equipment.
- However, according to World Semiconductor Trade Statistics (WSTS), the worldwide sales of semiconductors witnessed a decline of 12.1% in 2019 compared to 2018, to reach USD 412.1 billion. A confluence of factors, such as cyclicality in product pricing and ongoing global trade unrest, has resulted in the decline of worldwide sales of semiconductors in 2019. However, the scenario has quickly turned with the global market rebounding to an extent during the second half of 2019.
- The increasing popularity of MEMS technology in the vacuum pumps industry is expected to drive the market further. MEMS technology has a wide range of applications spread across numerous market verticals, specifically consumer electronics like tablets, smartphones, and video game systems.
- Hydropower constitutes 21% of the world's electricity generating capacity. According to the center for climate and energy solutions, the theoretical potential of global hydropower is 2,800 GW, about four times greater than the amount utilized today. This leads to the widespread adoption of Liquid ring pumps in the hydropower generation industry because of its reliability, durability, and efficiency while also being used for heavy-duty applications.
- Furthermore, increasing urbanization in regions, like Asia and Latin America, is resulting in denser populations, leading to the need for clean drinking water, safe waste disposal, and food and packaging delivery innovation. According to the World Economic Forum, the world's urban population has risen almost six-fold, from 751 million in 1950 to 4.2 billion in 2018. A high population base within a city would require new pumping solutions. Thus, rapid urbanization is creating many opportunities for vacuum pump manufacturers to develop solutions.
- However, the outbreak of COVID-19 has adversely impacted engineering companies as projects are being delayed or canceled. Moreover, the global supply chain is badly disrupted, which has affected the supply and demand for vacuum pumps, which is likely to hinder the market growth.
Key Market Trends
Natural Gas Extraction in Oil & Gas Sector to Drive the Market Growth
- Vacuum pumps are utilized in a variety of applications due to its versatility, and the oil and gas industry has adopted this machine in extraction and compression of gas, which significantly drives the market.
- Field gas boosting is described as the process of raising low-pressure gas from a wellhead to a high-pressure pipeline. The wellhead has a reasonably low positive pressure and is commonly below atmospheric pressure. Thus, a vacuum pump is required to extract the gas and boost it to a PSI above atmospheric pressure. The gas is then usually delivered to a gas processing plant by a high-pressure compressor through a pipeline.
- The United States boom of shale gas and stabilizing oil prices drive the use of vacuum pumps in the chemical and oil and gas industries. Also, these applications are often exposed to harsh conditions, resulting in low productivity, driving oil and gas companies to replace existing equipment with advanced technologies.
- Enhanced oil recovery is a process that involves putting a vacuum on an oil well to relieve pressure on the well. This increases oil production by allowing the oil to flow more freely through the well, and this application can also recover associated gas at the surface of the well.
- Moreover, digester Gas Recovery (Bio-Gas) is made by a decomposition process where a compressor or vacuum pump compresses the gas into a sparging unit piped into the tank. This gas provides heat, suspends the waste, and also activates bugs to eat the decomposed material. A vacuum pump is used to recover this gas and compress it to a natural gas engine. This gas is used to drive a generator to produce electricity.
- Busch Vacuum Pumps and Systems Acquires NSB Gas Processing. With the acquisition of NSB, they can now offer reliable vacuum and overpressure solutions for heavy-duty conditions in the oil and gas industries, adding strengths of the Busch NSB product portfolio in flare gas recovery.
North America to Account for a Major Share
- Increasing investments in end-user industries, such as oil & gas, chemical, and power generation, as a result of increased natural gas production, are positively impacting the vacuum pump market in North America. The United States and Canada have abundant oil reserves and are trying to utilize their oil sands resources.
- Energy production in the US continues to expand rapidly. For instance, ExxonMobil, one of the leading oil producers in the country, announced its plans to increase the production activity in the Permian Basin of West Texas by producing more than 1 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil- equivalent by as early as 2024.
- The US is home to iconic hydropower projects. Grand Coulee Dam built across the Columbia River in Washington is one of the best hydropower projects and generates about two-thirds of the state's electricity requirement. In April 2019, the US Department of Energy (DOE) announced the funding of up to USD 26.1 million to advance the marine and hydrokinetics (MHK) industry and increase hydropower's ability to serve a flexible grid resource, as a part of innovation drive for industry-led technology solutions.
- The country has the largest installed nuclear power capacity. Approximately 20% of US electricity is produced at 99 nuclear reactors spread across 31 states. It is estimated that by 2021, new nuclear reactors are expected to be developed, paving the way for increased installations of vacuum pumps.
- Furthermore, higher production of coal per employee hour could lead to the higher usage of vacuum pumps to compensate for the increase in production hours. Moreover, increased sales could lead to higher investments by mining companies on vacuum pumps, as are extensively used in mining plants.
The vacuum pumps market is highly fragmented due to the presence of large global and local players. Also global investment in R&D in power generation infrastructure and facility upgrades in the oil and gas are the most important drivers which are giving high rivalry among competitors. Key players are Gardner Denver Inc., Atlas Copco Group, Busch Pumps and Systems, etc. Some of the recent developments in the market are -
- In Feb 2020 - Atlas Copco acquired Dekker Vacuum Technologies, Inc., a US supplier of vacuum equipment and service solutions aimed at industrial applications.
This acquisition is expected to complement the existing portfolio of the former, in the liquid ring pump market and ensures a strong reputation serving diverse industrial markets in North America.
- May 2019 - Becker Pumps Corp. introduced two new series of vacuum pumps which are specifically designed for the Primary Packaging market. This announcement by Becker of the successful introduction of the new U 5 Series and Roots Booster Package Series of pumps is of particular significance to all end users in the primary packaging industries. These new pumps are direct replacements for the pumps currently being offered by the competition and are more energy efficient. It can now offer booster pump packages as a plug and play option against the competition.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Industry Policies
5 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.1 Market Drivers
- 5.1.1 Increasing Popularity of MEMS Technology
- 5.1.2 Increasing Demand for Dry Vacuum Pump
- 5.2 Market Challenges
- 5.2.1 High Cost Coupled With Compatibility Issues
6 ASSESSMENT OF COVID-19 IMPACT
7 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 7.1 By Type
- 7.1.1 Rotary Vacuum Pumps
- 18.104.22.168 Rotary Vane Pumps
- 22.214.171.124 Screw and Claw Pumps
- 126.96.36.199 Roots Pumps
- 7.1.2 Reciprocating Vacuum Pumps
- 188.8.131.52 Diaphragm Pumps
- 184.108.40.206 Piston Pumps
- 7.1.3 Kinetic Vacuum Pumps
- 220.127.116.11 Ejector Pumps
- 18.104.22.168 Turbomolecular Pumps
- 22.214.171.124 Diffusion Pumps
- 7.1.4 Dynamic Pumps
- 126.96.36.199 Liquid Ring Pumps
- 188.8.131.52 Side Channel Pumps
- 7.1.5 Specialized Vacuum Pumps
- 184.108.40.206 Getter Pumps
- 220.127.116.11 Cryogenic Pumps
- 7.2 By End-user Application
- 7.2.1 Oil & Gas
- 7.2.2 Electronics
- 7.2.3 Medical
- 7.2.4 Chemical Processing
- 7.2.5 Food and Beverages
- 7.2.6 Power Generation
- 7.2.7 Other End-user Applications (Wood, Paper and Pulp, etc.)
- 7.3 Geography
- 7.3.1 North America
- 7.3.2 Europe
- 7.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 7.3.4 Latin America
- 7.3.5 Middle East & Africa
8 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 8.1 Company Profiles
- 8.1.1 Gardner Denver Inc.
- 8.1.2 Atlas Copco Group
- 8.1.3 Sihi Group B.V (Flowserve)
- 8.1.4 Busch Pumps and Systems
- 8.1.5 Pfeiffer Vacuum Gmbh
- 8.1.6 Ulvac Technologies
- 8.1.7 Graham Corporation
- 8.1.8 Tuthill Corporation
- 8.1.9 Becker Pumps Corporation
- 8.1.10 Ebara Corporation
- 8.1.11 Dekker Vacuum Technologies Inc.
- 8.1.12 Tsurumi Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
9 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS