Product Code: 55466
The global genome editing market is expected to register a CAGR of 14.5% during the forecast period, 2018 to 2023. North America dominates the market due to the factors, such as, increasing use of genetically modified crops and the development of gene therapy in the United States.
Technological Advancements in Genome Testing Market
Genetic modification has provided an approach for reverse genetics, analyzing gene function, and linking DNA sequence to phenotype. Traditional methods are now becoming obsolete, due to progress in the genome sequencing technologies, as a result of inefficient, time consuming, and labor intensive methods. Recent technologies, like ZFN, TALEN, and CRISPR/Cas9 nuclease, can initiate genome editing easily and precisely, with no limitations by the organism. These instruments have offered intriguing possibilities for conducting large-scale experiments. Thus, technological advancements are fuelling the growth of the genome testing market.
Additionally, rising incidences of chronic disease and increase in the demand for synthetic genes are driving the genome editing market.
Ethical Concerns Related to Genetic Research
Genome editing has indicated a good potential for the treatment of genetic disorders, infectious diseases, and cancer. Along with the advantages, there are growing concerns about the risks and ethical issues associated with genome editing, that affect the market. The major ethical issues, include the off-target mutation development, imbalance of the environment, and illegal usage of genome editing. The perspective of the general public toward gene editing is negative. Several scientists have advocated for the ban or prohibition of genome editing. This has created a lot of pressure on companies involved in genome editing, as they are unable to find suitable subjects to carry out clinical trials, resulting in the hindrance in the innovation. Thus, it is acting as a major restraint for the growth of genome testing market.
Additionally, high cost of genomic equipment is also acting as a restraint for the genome editing market.
North America to Dominate the Market
North America dominated the market in terms of revenue share, due to the higher adoption of advanced technique in the research institutes based in the United States. Additionally, genetic diseases, like cystic fibrosis, occur at a frequency of 1 in 2,500 birth in the United States.
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2018: Kite and Sangamo Therapeutics collaborated for developing next-generation engineered cell therapies, for the treatment of cancer.
- Major Players - THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC., SANGAMO BIOSCIENCES INC., GENSCRIPT USA INC., HORIZON DISCOVERY GROUP PLC, MERCK & CO., ORIGENE TECHNOLOGIES INC., TRANSPOSAGEN BIOPHARMACEUTICALS INC., NEW ENGLAND BIOLABS INC., LONZA GROUP LTD, and INTEGRATED DNA TECHNOLOGIES INC. amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Market analysis for the genome editing market, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Analyzing various perspectives of the industry with the help of Porter's five forces analysis.
- The treatment type that is expected to dominate the market.
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
Table of Contents
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Key Inferences
5. Market Overview
- 5.1 Current Market Scenario
- 5.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 5.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 5.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 5.2.4 Threat of Substitute Product and Services
- 5.2.5 Competitive Rivalry Within the Industry
6. Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Challenges Analysis (DROC)
- 6.1 Market Drivers
- 6.1.1 Rising Incidence of Chronic Diseases
- 6.1.2 Rise in Production of Genetically Modified Crops
- 6.1.3 Technological Advancements
- 6.1.4 Increase in Demand for Synthetic Genes
- 6.1.5 Increasing Government Funding and Growth in the Number of Genomics Projects
- 6.2 Market Restraints
- 6.2.1 High Cost of Genomic Equipment
- 6.2.2 Ethical Concerns Related to Genetic Research
- 6.3 Opportunities
- 6.4 Key challenges
7. Market Segmentation
- 7.1 By Technology
- 7.1.1 CRISPR
- 7.1.2 TALEN
- 7.1.3 ZFN
- 7.1.4 Meganucleases
- 7.1.5 Others
- 7.2 By Application
- 7.2.1 Cell Line Engineering
- 7.2.2 Animal Genetic Engineering
- 7.2.3 Plant Genetic Engineering
- 7.2.4 Others
- 7.3 By End User
- 7.3.1 Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Companies
- 7.3.2 Academic and Government Research Institutes
- 7.3.3 Contract Research Organizations
- 7.4 By Geography
- 7.4.1 North America
- 22.214.171.124 United States
- 126.96.36.199 Canada
- 188.8.131.52 Mexico
- 7.4.2 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 France
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
- 22.214.171.124 Italy
- 126.96.36.199 Spain
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
- 7.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 184.108.40.206 China
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 India
- 22.214.171.124 Australia & New Zealand
- 126.96.36.199 South Korea
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 7.4.4 Middle East & Africa
- 184.108.40.206 GCC
- 220.127.116.11 South Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle East & Africa
- 7.4.5 South America
- 22.214.171.124 Brazil
- 126.96.36.199 Argentina
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1 Mergers and Acquisition Analysis
- 8.2 Agreements, Collaborations, and Partnerships
- 8.3 New Products Launches
9. Key Players
- 9.1 GenScript USA Inc.
- 9.2 Horizon Discovery Group plc
- 9.3 Integrated DNA Technologies Inc.
- 9.4 Lonza Group Ltd
- 9.5 Merck & Co.
- 9.6 New England Biolabs Inc.
- 9.7 Origene Technologies Inc.
- 9.8 Sangamo Biosciences Inc.
- 9.9 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- 9.10 Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals Inc.
- 9.11 Others
10. Outlook of the Market