Product Code: 54054
The global glass packaging market was estimated at USD 56.64 billion in 2019, and it is expected to register a CAGR of 4.39%, to reach USD 73.29 billion by 2025. Glass Packaging is known as one of the most trusted forms of packaging for health, taste and environments safety. Despite facing heavy competition from plastics, the ability of glass to self-portray a premium image while maintaining the freshness and safety of the product can ensure its presence, worldwide, across a range of end-user industries.
- Rising consumer demand for safe and healthier packaging is helping glass grow in different categories. Also, innovative technologies for embossing, shaping and adding artistic finishes to glass are making glass packaging more desirable among end-users. Furthermore, factors such as the increasing demand for eco-friendly products, and the rising demand from the food and beverages market are stimulating the growth of the market.
- Also, the recyclable nature of glass makes it environmentally the most desired packaging type. The lightweight glass has been the significant innovation in recent times, offering the same resistance as the older glass materials and higher stability, reducing the volume of raw materials used and CO2 emitted.
- From a regional point of view, emerging markets like India and China are witnessing high demand for beer, soft drinks, and ciders, owing to the increasing per capita spending of the consumers and their changing lifestyles. However, the increasing operational costs and growing usage of substitute products such as plastics and tin are restaining the market growth.
Scope of the Report
Glass is one of the most preferred packagings for consumers who are concerned about their health and the environment. They are made from all-natural sustainable raw materials. Glass packaging preserves the product's taste or flavor and maintains the integrity or healthiness of foods and beverages. Glass is considered "GRAS" or "generally recognized as safe" by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. It's also 100% recyclable and can be reused endlessly with no loss in quality or purity.
Key Market Trends
Beverage Industry To Hold The Highest Market Share
- The market for glass packaging in the alcoholic beverage industry is facing intense competition from metal packaging in the form of cans, but it is expected to maintain its share during the forecast period, due to its preference in the premium products. The growth is expected to be observed across different beverage products like juices, coffee, tea, soups, non-dairy beverages, and others.
- Amongst alcoholic beverages, beer witnessed tremendous growth in the past few years, as the majority of beer volume is sold in glass bottles and is driving the need for increased production rates in the glass packaging industry. The increasing demand for premium variants in alcoholic drinks is driving the growth of glass bottles. Developing nations like India are also showing much higher quality perception for beer.
- Also, returnable glass bottles remain a significant form of product delivery for all major companies in the non-alcoholic beverage industry as they provide a cost-effective method. For instance, currently, about 70% of the bottles used for natural mineral water are made of plastic. The choice of the bottled water packaging material is increasing, taking into account, the environmental considerations.
Europe to Grow Significantly
- Consumers in the United Kingdom have higher awareness related to the health and environmental benefits of glass bottles and are willing to pay higher costs for these benefits. Manufacturers are also realizing these trends and increasingly addressing it in their choice of packaging.
- The UK glass industry has the knowledge and expertise to be globally competitive. High-volume glass manufacturing contributes around GBP 1.3 billion to the UK economy each year. The United Kingdom also acts as the central hub of the European economy, when it comes to exports. According to the Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs, the food and drink exports exceeded GBP 22 billion in 2017, up from GBP 20.2 billion in 2016.
- Lightweight glass has been the major innovation in recent times, offering the same resistance as the older glass materials and higher stability, while reducing the volume of the raw materials used. Also, Alcoholic drinks are expected to lead the way for the glass packaging market, owing to the decent sales of beer and whiskey in the United Kingdom, with an increasing demand for premium variants.
The global glass packaging market is highly competitive due to the strong presence of major players worldwide. the competition is also intense due to the presence of substitutes as many companies in this industry are trying to consistently innovate in order to retain the market share.
- April 2019: Owens Illinois has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Nueva Fanal,which is located near Mexico city, and is a container glass manufacturing facility from Grupo Modelo.
- November 2018: Piramal Glass has deployed Microsoft's Azure IoT platform to digitally transform its manufacturing operations. The company is an early adopter of the technology and has implemented Real-Time Manufacturing Insights (RTMI), on 46 production lines across their four plants.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Market Definition
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Increasing Demand for Eco-Friendly Products
- 4.2.2 Rising Demand From the Food and Beverages Market
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Rising Operational Costs
- 4.3.2 Growing Usage Of Substitute Products (Plastic)
- 4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.5 Industry Policies
5 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 6.1 By End-user Industry
- 6.1.1 Food
- 6.1.2 Beverage
- 6.1.3 Personal care
- 6.1.4 Healthcare
- 6.1.5 Household care
- 6.1.6 Others (Agricultural, etc.)
- 6.2 Geography
- 6.2.1 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States of America
- 18.104.22.168 Canada
- 6.2.2 Europe
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 France
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of the Europe
- 6.2.3 Asia Pacific
- 220.127.116.11 Japan
- 18.104.22.168 China
- 22.214.171.124 India
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 6.2.4 Latin America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
- 6.2.5 Middle East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
- 126.96.36.199 South Africa
- 188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 7.1 Company Profiles
- 7.1.1 Piramal Glass Private Limited.
- 7.1.2 Owens Illinois, Inc.
- 7.1.3 Amcor Plc.
- 7.1.4 WestPack LLC.
- 7.1.5 Sonoco Products Company
- 7.1.6 Uhlmann Group
- 7.1.7 Gerresheimer AG
- 7.1.8 Hindustan National Glass & Industries Ltd.
- 7.1.9 Ardagh Group
- 7.1.10 HEINZ-GLAS GmbH & Co. KGaA
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS