Product Code: 54024
The color detection sensor market was valued at USD 1.77 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 2.91 billion by 2026 and work at a CAGR of 8.68% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The need to measure the lighting environment beyond just ALS (or broad spectrum light) has driven the adoption of color sensors for use in display-based products.
- Color sensing technology along with the ability to accurately measure the ambient light CCT and intensity enables smartphones to increase its user's experience. The color sensors distinguish between natural and artificial light which is helping smartphone manufacturers to extensively use them in the optical lenses of smartphones.
- As the penetration of smartphones is set to increase from 57% in 2017 to globally to 77% in 2025 according to GSMA, the market for color detection sensors is also expected to increase.
- Furthermore, there has been an increase in automation across several industries, globally. This has further increased the demand for optical sensors across industry verticals, and color sense is one of the important subjects of optical sensors. Color sensors have a variety of applications, including detection of environmental, biological, and chemical parameters.
- Future advances in electronics, optics, and software are expected to lead to the development of color sensors that output the reading intensity and color value. This information will enable the controller or operator to see not only what color is detected, but also how much color is present.
Key Market Trends
Molecular Luminescence Sensors Account for Significant Market Share
- Luminescence sensors detect visible and non-visible marks that illuminate when using ultraviolet (UV) light. Fluorescent material and marks are reliably detected independently of their pattern, colors, or surface conditions on any material.
- They respond to materials, such as paints, greases, inks, and adhesives that have luminescent tracers. The tracers emit light in the visible spectrum when stimulated by a UV light source.
- Luminescence-based sensing applications range from agriculture to biology, including medicine and environmental care, which indicates the importance of this technique as a detection tool.
- Many commonly used packaging and production materials use luminescent tracers as a means of providing presence verification. Among these materials are adhesives, gums, films, inks, and greases. Since many of these materials are clear or nearly clear, other types of sensors are not suitable for reliable verification.
North America to Account for the Largest Market Share
- The United States dominates the market, owing to its expertise in technology-driven aspects. According to the International Trade Administration, the United States is a major global producer of industrial automation equipment, broadly defined as the hardware and components used to automate systems in manufacturing or industrial settings.
- Moreover, rising capital expenditures in industries, such as automotive, oil & gas, and power, are fuelling the demand for industrial automation and are also boosting the associated automation markets, including color detection sensors.
- With this support, the United States leads the market with the automation of various processes in the industries, increasing demand from end users, such as packaging, food & beverage, petrochemical, hardware, chemical, and textile.
- Furthermore, smart color cameras and smart color sensors both have progressed a lot in the past several years in the United States. Starting with smart color sensors, this technology has made big gains. Not only do they have a greater color resolution, but many manufacturers also offer versions of these sensors that can give calibrated RGB color results.
- Additionally, the leading players in the market have a strong presence in the United States. Their efforts in the development of color sensors contribute significantly to the market. For instance, Rockwell automation Inc. engages in improving its sensors portfolio by innovating smart sensors offered by the company. Moreover, its photoelectric sensors are recognized as the most robust in industrial automation.
The colour detection sensor market is highly fragmented due to low entry barriers. Some key players in the market are Sick AG, EMX Industries Inc, Infratech Inc, CTi Automation, Panasonic Corp, ASTECH GmbH, Banner Engineering, Keyence Corp and others. Some recent developments in the market include:
- July 2018- Micro-epsilon introduced colour sensor for measuring the zinc strip colour. This will help manufacturers to use colour sensors in manufacturing processes.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Process Automation across Various Industries
- 4.3.2 Increased use of Color Sensors in Smartphones
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Higher Initial Costs
- 4.5 Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.7 Technology Snapshot
- 4.7.1 Industrial Automation
- 4.7.2 Consumer Electronics
- 4.7.3 Fluid and Gas Analysis
- 4.7.4 Lighting and Digital Signage
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Brightness Sensor
- 5.1.2 Contrast Sensor
- 5.1.3 Molecular Luminescence Sensor
- 5.1.4 RGB Sensor
- 5.1.5 Printed Mark Sensor
- 5.1.6 Other Types
- 5.2 By End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Food & Beverage
- 5.2.2 Medical
- 5.2.3 Chemical
- 5.2.4 Textile
- 5.2.5 Automotive
- 5.2.6 Factory Automation
- 5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of The World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Sick AG
- 6.1.2 EMX Industries Inc
- 6.1.3 InfraTec GmbH
- 6.1.4 CTi Automation
- 6.1.5 Panasonic Corporation
- 6.1.6 ASTECH GmbH
- 6.1.7 Banner Engineering
- 6.1.8 Keyence Corporation
- 6.1.9 Baumer Atlas
- 6.1.10 HiTechnic Products
- 6.1.11 Ams AG
- 6.1.12 Datalogic S.p.A
- 6.1.13 Omron Corporation
- 6.1.14 SensoPart Industriesensorik GmbH
- 6.1.15 Jenoptik AG
- 6.1.16 Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- 6.1.17 Balluff GmbH
- 6.1.18 Pepperl+Fuchs
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS