Product Code: 51254
The image sensors market was valued at USD 15.84 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach a value of USD 29.49 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 11%, during the forecast period 2020-2025. The image sensors are used primarily in a large number of imaging devices and digital cameras to enhance the quality of cauterization and storage of the image. These imaging applications have found a high adoption in industrial, media, medical, and consumer applications. The integration of video surveillance in the transportation industry is one of the significant trends observed in this region. For instance, to enhance security for the Canadian Public Transportation System, with the country having 1.7 million daily traffic, the government deployed a unified surveillance System with integrated cameras in it. This is further expected to surge the market across the region.
- Strict safety regulations by the government in automotive are driving the market. Many players are employing driver-assistance and safety cameras as the standard. In addition, ADAS systems and innovations in autonomous vehicle technology are having a positive impact on the market. Autonomous cars are expected to make way into the market over the forecast period. Dynamics of this kind are influencing the image sensor market growth globally.
- Vendors in the market are already keeping up with these applications. For instance, ON Semiconductor in 2019 demonstrated its portfolio of sensors for automotive applications at the AutoSens Conference in Detroit. The sensors demonstrated include the next-generation RGB-IR image sensor solution for in-cabin applications and the Hayabusa family of CMOS image sensors for advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and viewing automotive camera systems.
- Image sensors are used majorly in a large number of imaging devices and facial recognition applications. The imaging devices applications have found higher adoption in industrial, automotive, media, medical, and consumer applications. The manufacturers are striving to improve major parameters, such as resolution, performance, and pixel size, for better quality in unwanted circumstances.
- Further, China implemented the Social Credit System using extensive facial recognition of its citizen. Facial recognition systems are highly being implemented across the country, where the requirement for cameras for the project is expected to drive the market. The country is investing heavily in its facial recognition capabilities; according to Tsinghua University, China's market size of biometric recognition technologies is expected to reach CNY 34 billion.
- However, the COVID-19 is expected to have a significant impact on the market in the current year and is anticipated to continue to have an impact for the first two quarters of the year following it, as the supply chain has experienced a huge disruption owing to restrictions in movement of goods and personnel. Asian countries such as China, India, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan have a significant presence of manufacturers of the image sensors and have experienced lockdown and disrupted the production schedules.
- However, to fight with the COVID-19, companies are actively investing in product developments. For instance, in April 2020, Vayyar imaging solution has introduced an advanced image sensor to provide touchless, remote, and confidential monitoring to detect and monitor vital signs that can indicate early-stage COVID-19 symptoms. This sensor is also mentioned as being used by the Israeli government.
Key Market Trends
CMOS Image Sensor in Smartphone Witnesses a Significant Growth
- With the increasing demand for the high-definition image capturing devices in the industries, CMOS technology has been witnessing a high adoption rate as they provide faster shutter speed delivering high-quality images.
- With the integration of cameras into smartphones, the use of image capturing increased significantly, coupled with the growing smartphone penetration rate in the region is set to drive the market for Image sensors in the region.
- For VGA resolution, CMOS sensors can efficiently run at 30 fps or faster, and at 3 to 5-megapixel resolution, 5 to 15 fps is achievable while keeping power consumption down. This enables algorithms such as autofocus, autoexposure, and automatic white balance to achieve faster convergence, thereby providing a quicker, more responsive camera. Higher frame rates also mean reduced blur and, in some instances, enable designers to eliminate mechanical shutters. With the increased competition in the smartphone industry, manufacturers are viewing image quality as the way to achieve competitive advantage.
- Further, China's e-commerce market is booming as well, as the maximum share of consumers who purchase online are shopping via their smartphones. The Alibaba Group Holding's shopping platform Taobao Marketplace and Tmall let their customers take pictures of an item in real-life and buy it online. This is also expected to drive the market for CMOS image sensors.
- Furthermore, although certain markets (China, for instance) have reached saturation for new smartphone demand due to lack of new buyers, smartphone manufacturers, like Huawei, are rolling out new models with dual-camera systems, thus, boosting CMOS manufacturing.
- Also, mobile applications such as TikTok and WeChat are also driving the market for cameras in the country; according to Tencent number of active WeChat users during Q2, 2019, stood at 1,132.7 million. These factors significantly drive the CMOS image sensors in the smartphone market.
North America to Occupy the Major Market Share
- North America accounts to hold significant share and is one of the prominent markets in image processing technological research, globally. The market in the region is mainly due to growing R&D activities and industrialization. Automotive is one of the largest markets in North America.
- Safety-related mandates in the automotive industry in North America are rising because of the rising accidents. This rise in accident rate is increasing the need for ADAS in the automobile industry, with the incorporation of advanced image sensing capabilities acting as a significant market driver, and influencing the market growth in the region.
- Also, the US government has passed a new regulation to install a rearview camera in every vehicle, along with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has made it mandatory for all vehicles to install a backup camera system by 2019 owing to an increase in the number of accidents and injuries in the United States. This is likely to augment the adoption of the camera to cater to the criteria mentioned above, thereby impacting the market's growth positively. Even the traffic federal regulations mandating the use of advanced image sensors from heavy vehicles to commercial vehicles for emergency preparedness have also contributed to the growth of the image sensors market.
- Furthermore, ongoing mergers and acquisitions in the region are expanding the scope of the application for image sensors, which is further expected to drive the growth of the market. For instance, Teledyne Technologies Inc. acquired the Scientific Imaging businesses of Roper Technologies Inc. for USD 225 million. The Scientific Imaging businesses provide a wide range of imaging solutions, primarily for life sciences, academic research, and customized OEM industrial imaging solutions.
- Moreover, Teledyne has partnered with the OSIRIS-REx mission in various imaging and spectroscopy technologies provided by its Digital Imaging segment.
The Image Sensors Market is fragmented in nature, and with significant partnerships and innovations in the field of the image sensors are catering intense rivalry. Key players are Canon Inc., Ams AG, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- May 2019 - Teledyne e2v, Teledyne DALSA, and Teledyne Princeton Instruments announced a new combined office in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Teledyne e2v, Teledyne DALSA, and Teledyne Princeton Instruments are part of the Teledyne Imaging Group and jointly expect to expand the scale of operations. Teledyne Imaging, with this new strategic opening, would offer a portfolio of integrated and intelligent vision solutions ranging from the sensor, camera, frame grabber, sub-system, and intelligent device.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 4.4 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.5 Market Drivers
- 4.5.1 Strict Safety Regulations by the Government in Automotive
- 4.5.2 Demand for Imaging Devices and Facial Recognition Applications.
- 4.6 Market Restraints
- 4.6.1 Diminishing CCD Technology Pose a Challenge to OEMs
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.2 By End-user Industry
- 5.2.1 Consumer Electronics
- 5.2.2 Healthcare
- 5.2.3 Industrial
- 5.2.4 Security and Surveillance
- 5.2.5 Automotive and Transportation
- 5.2.6 Aerospace and Defense
- 5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States
- 188.8.131.52 Canada
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
- 220.127.116.11 Germany
- 18.104.22.168 France
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China
- 188.8.131.52 Japan
- 184.108.40.206 India
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.3.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Canon Inc.
- 6.1.2 Ams AG
- 6.1.3 OmniVision Technologies Inc.
- 6.1.4 ON Semiconductor Corporation
- 6.1.5 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
- 6.1.6 Sony Corporation
- 6.1.7 STMicroelectronics NV
- 6.1.8 Teledyne DALSA Inc.
- 6.1.9 SK Hynix Inc.
- 6.1.10 GalaxyCore Inc.
- 6.1.11 Panasonic Corporation
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 FUTURE OF THE MARKET