Product Code: 51026
The market for wind turbine gearbox repair and refurbishment is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 3.43% during the forecast period of 2019 - 2024. With rising number of aging wind turbines, the demand for the gearbox repair and refurbishment services are expected to drive the market. However, the improving design of gearbox and increasing use of the direct drive turbines are expected to restrain the gearbox repair and refurbishment market during the forecast period.
- With the increasing installation of wind turbines across harsher conditions, the demand for gearbox repair, which ranks amongst the highest in terms of average repair time and average costs required amongst all component type, is expected to witness increased demand, to maintain operational efficiency
- As of 2018, China accounts for more than one third of the total number of wind turbines installed globally. In 2018, China new installation was about 23,00 MW wind capacity which was more than total annual installed capacity in Europe, one of the most advanced and growing market in the world.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe in 2018, with majority of the demand coming from China and India.
Key Market Trends
The Repair Segment to Witness Highest Growth Rate
- The gearbox is one of the more critical components in wind turbines that are most prone to cause complications. The costs for repair of gearboxes, along with the costs caused by production losses owing to non-functioning gearboxes, constitute a large share of the expenses of operating a wind power plants.
- Even though the reliability of gearboxes has significantly increased in recent years owing to technological advancements, there is a growing demand for gearbox repairs by the wind farm operators owing to the wind-turbine fleet is getting larger, particularly in the offshore wind farms.
- On an average, one per 145 turbines in operation are estimated to report gearbox failure each year. With operation and maintenance (O&M) costs representing about a quarter of total-life costs for wind power plants in operation, keeping gearboxes maintained and working through constant repair activities, remains crucial to the successful and profitable running of any wind power project.
- Therefore, increasing annual wind-turbine installations, and growing demand for gearbox repairs by the wind farm operators are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the promising markets for wind turbine tower in the coming years, on account of the favorable government policies and new installations in the countries.
- As of March 2018, China holds the largest wind power generation capacity in the world. Wind energy accounted for around 5% of the total power generated in the country during 2018.
- The country's wind infrastructure has increased by about 182.48 GW in the past 10 years. As the country's wind infrastructure was developed majorly in the past few years, the demand for wind turbine gearbox repair & refurbishment market is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years.
- As of 2018, India holds the fourth largest wind power installed capacity in the world. These projects are majorly spread in the Northern, Southern and Western parts of the country.
- As of 2018, the country total wind installation capacity has reached around 35,129 MW, after the addition of 2,191 MW of new wind installed capacity in 2018.
- Owing to the rapidly growing installed base in Asia-Pacific and shifting service strategies of Chinese and Indian asset owners, which are expected to provide a significant growth opportunities for the wind turbine gearbox repair and refurbishment market over the next decade.
The wind turbine gearbox repair and refurbishment market is fragmented. The major companies include Dana Brevini SpA, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA, ME Production A/S, Stork Gears & Services BV, and Winergy Group.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Scope of the Study
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Study Assumptions
- 1.4 Study Deliverables
- 1.5 Research Phases
2 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD million, till 2024
- 4.3 Installed Wind Capacity and Forecast in GW until 2024
- 4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
- 4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
- 4.6 Market Dynamics
- 4.6.1 Drivers
- 4.6.2 Restraints
- 4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
- 4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
- 4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Type
- 5.1.1 Repair
- 5.1.2 Refurbishment
- 5.2 Gearbox Failure Type
- 5.2.1 Bearings
- 5.2.2 Others
- 5.3 Deployment
- 5.3.1 Onshore
- 5.3.2 Offshore
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.2 North America
- 5.4.3 Europe
- 5.4.4 Rest of the World
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.3 Company Profiles
- 6.3.1 Dana Brevini SpA
- 6.3.2 Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA
- 6.3.3 ME Production A/S
- 6.3.4 Stork Gears & Services BV
- 6.3.5 Winergy Group
- 6.3.6 ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- 6.3.7 Turbine Repair Solutions
- 6.3.8 Grenaa Motorfabrik A/S
- 6.3.9 ENERCON GmbH
- 6.3.10 Connected Wind Services Refurbishment A/S
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS