Sensors are used in ICT for detection of changes in the physical and/or logical relationship of one object to another(s) and/or the environment. Physical changes may include temperature, light, pressure, sound, and motion. Logical changes include the presence/absence of an electronically traceable entity, location, and/or activity. Within an Internet of Things (IoT) context, physical and logical changes are equally important.
This report assesses the overall sensor marketplace for IoT, evaluates leading vendors, identifies key IoT functionality in support of sensors, and forecasts the market for sensor adoption and revenue. The report covers three key areas within the sensor ecosystem:
- Sensors: H/W and S/W designed and Developed to Suit IoT deployments
- Protocols: Designed and developed to drive Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) in IoT
- Sensor Data: Through Sensor Fusion / Multi-sensing / Soft Sensors
All purchases of Mind Commerce reports includes time with an expert analyst who will help you link key findings in the report to the business issues you're addressing. This needs to be used within three months of purchasing the report.
- EMEA will lead the market 13.5 billion sensors in 2020 with a CAGR of 51.3%
- North America ranks second with 9 billion units by 2020 with a CAGR of 46.6%
- A key ecosystem function, IoT Mediation will evolve in three stages as assessed in the report
- Most of sensors will be used in industrial applications followed by personal IoT, largely in the wearables category
- IIoT will comprise 94% of the total IIoT business through 2020, representing a huge driver for various sensor-enabled industrial apps
Companies in Report:
- 365 Agile Limited (365 Agile Group Plc)
- Ambiq Micro
- B+B SmartWorx
- Bosch Connected Devices and Solutions GmbH (BCDS)
- Digi International
- Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)
- Fairchild Semiconductors International
- LeddarTech Inc.
- Nanjing IoT Sensor Technology Co., Ltd.
- NYCE Sensors Inc.
- Open Sensors Ltd.
- Sensata Technologies
- Seraphim Sense Ltd.
- Silicon Laboratories, Inc.
- Texas Instruments Inc.
- Wovyn LLC.
- ZigBee Alliance
- Z-Wave Alliance
Table of Contents
- 1.1.1. Scope of Study
- 1.1.2. Intended Audience
- 1.1.3. Companies Mentioned in the Report
<>2. Executive Summary
3. Sensors in IoT Industry Assessment
- 3.1. Sensors: Technology and Developments
- 3.1.1. Smart Sensors
- 3.1.2. Transducer Electronic Data Sheets (TEDS)
- 3.1.3. Smart Transducer Interface Module and Network Capable Application Processor
- 3.2. Wireless Sensor Network (WSN)
- 3.2.1. Sensor Nodes
- 3.2.2. WSN Topologies
- 3.2.3. Applications and Challenges
- 3.3. Virtual / Soft Sensors, Multi-sensing, and Sensor Fusion
- 3.4. Internet of Things (IoT) and Connected World
- 3.4.1. Personal IoT (PIoT) / Consumer IoT
- 220.127.116.11. Connected Home Entertainment Devices
- 18.104.22.168. Connected Home Security and Monitoring Devices
- 22.214.171.124. Connected Home Energy Conservation Devices
- 126.96.36.199. Connected Home Utility Monitoring Devices
- 188.8.131.52. Connected Car
- 184.108.40.206. Wearables
- 3.4.2. Industrial IoT (IIoT)
- 220.127.116.11. Smart Manufacturing
- 18.104.22.168. Smart Utility
- 22.214.171.124. Smart Tracking (Cargo and Transport)
- 126.96.36.199. Smart Instrumentation in Oil and Gas Industry
- 188.8.131.52. Smart Healthcare
- 3.5. Role of WSN and Sensor Fusion in IoT
- 3.5.1. IoT Protocols used in WSN
- 184.108.40.206. ZigBee Alliance
- 220.127.116.11. Z-Wave Alliance
- 18.104.22.168. Insteon
- 22.214.171.124. Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)
- 126.96.36.199. Thread
- 3.6. Sensor Analytics
4. Markets for Sensors in Connected World 2015 - 2020
- 4.1. Demand for Sensors in IoT to reach to 30 Billion Units by 2020
- 4.2. Automation to be Market Leader
- 4.3. Demand for Sensors by Industry Category 2015 - 2020
- 4.4. IIoT to be Leading Sector for Sensor-related Business Revenue
- 4.5. EMEA to Lead the Market for IoT Sensors through 2020
5. Future of Sensors in IoT
- 5.1. Sensor Data Management and IoT Security/Privacy Management
- 5.1.1. Sensor Data Management
- 5.1.2. Sensors and IoT Services and Infrastructure Mediation
- 5.2. Roadmap to One Trillion Sensors
- 5.2.1. Opportunity for Sensor Manufacturers
- 5.2.2. Demand for Short Range Sensors to Realize Brisk Growth
- 5.2.3. Opportunity for Systems-on-Chip (SoC) Fabricators
- 5.2.4. Use of IPV6 brings New Opportunities from Massive Connectivity
6. Key Company Profiles
- 6.1. 365 Agile Limited (365 Agile Group Plc)
- 6.2. Ambiq Micro
- 6.3. B+B SmartWorx
- 6.4. Bosch Connected Devices and Solutions GmbH (BCDS)
- 6.5. Digi International
- 6.6. Fairchild Semiconductors International
- 6.7. LeddarTech Inc.
- 6.8. Nanjing IoT Sensor Technology Co., Ltd.
- 6.9. NYCE Sensors Inc.
- 6.10. Open Sensors Ltd.
- 6.11. Sensata Technologies
- 6.12. Seraphim Sense Ltd.
- 6.13. Silicon Laboratories, Inc.
- 6.14. Texas Instruments Inc.
- 6.15. Worldsensing
- 6.16. Wovyn LLC.
- Figure 1: Sensor Demand by Market segment
- Figure 2: Elements of Traditional Sensor
- Figure 3: Elements of Smart Sensor
- Figure 4: Smart Sensor Model
- Figure 5: Smart Sensor Model with Functional Partitioning
- Figure 6: Components of Sensor Node
- Figure 7: Wireless Sensor Network Topologies
- Figure 8: Markets for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 and 2020 (%)
- Figure 9: Demand for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 and 2020 (%)
- Figure 10: Global IoT Markets 2015 - 2020 ($Billions)
- Figure 11: Markets for Sensors by IoT Type 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)
- Figure 12: Markets for IoT Sensors by Region 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)
- Figure 13: Internet of Things Infrastructure, Platform, and Software Mediation
- Figure 14: Phase One: Limited IoT Data Sharing without Formalized Mediation
- Figure 15: Phase Two: IoT Data Sharing between Limited Industries
- Figure 16: Phase Two: Broadly shared IoT Data across Industries and between Competitors
- Table 1: Overview of TEDs
- Table 2: Markets for Sensor by Industry Category 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)
- Table 3: Global IoT Markets 2015 - 2020 ($Billions)
- Table 4: Markets for Sensors by IoT Type 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)
- Table 5: Markets for IoT Sensors by Region 2015 - 2020 (Units Millions)